AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks after arriving!

Default 2 weeks after arriving!

Kenny told me they would get even more amazing after settling in. Way brighter in color, active, so very friendly and mesmerizing. I just love everything about these creatures...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFkXo_jKBpg

Default Re: 2 weeks after arriving!

They look great Jenene. Keep up the good work. You really will be blown away in a few months

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    They look great Jenene. Keep up the good work. You really will be blown away in a few months
    Even more than I am now? Really? I am blowing away now! I can't even imagine they could even get better! Does the Golden Checkerboard look unusually fat to you? He looks lumpy. He is definitely pooping okay though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Even more than I am now? Really? I am blowing away now! I can't even imagine they could even get better! Does the Golden Checkerboard look unusually fat to you? He looks lumpy. He is definitely pooping okay though...
    Tough to we in video. My bss usually gets a really fat belly after eating. Much more so than I see in the other fish but no issues.

I like your golden check. I chose a very similar one with more solid body and just the head spots.

When I picked it out at Kennys he told me it's either more pattern or less pattern which has a more vibrant color

Yes he looks a bit stuffed. I actually only feed 3x a day since I read a post in the nutrition section about 3 evenly spaced heavier feedings rather than four or five lighter ones.
    I think the less patterned are brighter. You can kind of see it in Kenny's new shipment. There is one especially that is more solid and really stands out.

I am so jealous that you were able to go and pick yours out. That must have been an experience. How close are you to him? I love the ones he chose for me- I specifically asked for a more solid checkerboard- but I would have loved to see his operation and meet him. He is really kind of "rock star" status with those fish and his reputation. He would laugh at that I am sure but it is true!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Yes he looks a bit stuffed. I actually only feed 3x a day since I read a post in the nutrition section about 3 evenly spaced heavier feedings rather than four or five lighter ones.
    I think the less patterned are brighter. You can kind of see it in Kenny's new shipment. There is one especially that is more solid and really stands out.

I am so jealous that you were able to go and pick yours out. That must have been an experience. How close are you to him? I love the ones he chose for me- I specifically asked for a more solid checkerboard- but I would have loved to see his operation and meet him. He is really kind of "rock star" status with those fish and his reputation. He would laugh at that I am sure but it is true!
    It was quite an experince. Kenny is so kind and pleasant to work with. It wasn't just a walk in, grab the fish and get kicked out situation.

Kenny brought us in, showed us around and took his time giving advice. He showed my 4 year old all his tanks and gave us a nice little education.

We are fortunate to be about an hour from Kenny. Nice beautiful drive across the SF bay. I am a lifer with Kenny for sure.

I had a dream last night that I got a new fish then I see his post today. I think it's a sign I need to just go ahead and overstock my tank lol

Real Name
    Phil

I see you went w the rainbow variety pack!!! So much color very cool!!

That tank is pristine it looks as if they are just floating in thin air in the living room there. Without the bubbles I'd be hard pressed to ask if you didn't strong some fishing wife to em and suspend them in thin air!!

Nicely done

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I see you went w the rainbow variety pack!!! So much color very cool!!

That tank is pristine it looks as if they are just floating in thin air in the living room there. Without the bubbles I'd be hard pressed to ask if you didn't strong some fishing wife to em and suspend them in thin air!!

Nicely done
    Ha ha! Thank you! That is quite a compliment.

Yes, I love the different colors. They all trade places swimming around it reminds me of a child's mobile. I need one more fabulous one to compliment the others. Any ideas? I love your avatar! Is that one of yours? Gorgeous fish!

I just saw Kenny's new incoming stock but I am not quite ready yet to take care of this one and a quarantine tank. I should have just gotten them all at once. Not sure what I was thinking!

Real Name
    Phil

Yes that is one of my big leopards. One of my faves!

Yea it is usually best to get them all at once but we all know that can be rather tough to do.

If anything I suggest getting 2 at least when you next order. I always like to add 2 or more so that one can't get pumbled on as the new lone discus

Also a trick that has always worked for me is I feed the fish at once side of the tank and slyly add the newcomers as the others are occupied

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Yes that is one of my big leopards. One of my faves!

Yea it is usually best to get them all at once but we all know that can be rather tough to do.

If anything I suggest getting 2 at least when you next order. I always like to add 2 or more so that one can't get pumbled on as the new lone discus

Also a trick that has always worked for me is I feed the fish at once side of the tank and slyly add the newcomers as the others are occupied
    Very sneaky! I do worry about overstocking. It is a 75 gallon with six in it. I have a sump that maybe holds 20 gallons but didn't really want to count that since it is not "real estate". What is your opinion?

Kenny told me they will fight a bit to re-establish pecking order but it usually works out. I would hate to have one singled out though and have to rehouse it.

Real Name
    Filip

Your fish looks great on the video Jenene.
    They must be very happy since they get to swim in such a spotless and clean water as seen on the video
    If you keep your maintenace and water quallity like shown on the video i think that you will have no problems with 2 more discus in your 75 G tank .

Real Name
    Phil

+1

Thanks a lot guys. I just put in an order for a couple more from Kenny. Your are a bad influence Phil

Real Name
    Phil

I'm sorry guys I don't mean to be a bad influence nor do I want to promote over stocking in anyway. I hope you all know that. It has worked for me but I am really on top of my tanks. Not saying that you guys are not but I would hate for some newbie to go and overstock a tank and have devestrating results and be like well dubs told me I could.

This is to be done w extreme caution and care. I do 100% changes on a daily basis and I hang on their every move

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. I just put in an order for a couple more from Kenny. Your are a bad influence Phil
    You ordered more too? You are bad! You didn't tell me! What did you get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast