AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice.

Registered Member

Default Re: need advice.

I see your long fish with a big mouth are going to eventually have a pancake dinner.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i think giving them their own tank is an excellent decision.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by honorer View Post
    i think is impossible to keep discus on this tank without make them stunted, they dont want to eat tetrabits, only accept freeze blood worm, an they are too slow to compete with aros for food.

so im making the new tank just for discus,
    only 1m x 0,6m x 0,5m size,

Attachment 102604
    I honor your decession honorer . You seem like a dedicated fish keeper with this move .
    it was the only right thing to do right from the start of this thread ,but its great that you figure it by your self .
    Good luck raising your discus , and keep on asking questions here and learning about discus .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fishes View Post
    If you know who The King of DIY is, you can check out his old videos where he basically had one Asian Arowana, 2 BD Stingrays, and maybe like 6-10 discus all in a 4 ft x 4 ft tank that worked pretty well.
    yes sure its work on him, because there is only 1 aro on the tank,

Quote Originally Posted by MD.David View Post
    I see your long fish with a big mouth are going to eventually have a pancake dinner.
    no its size is doesnt fit on aros mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    i think giving them their own tank is an excellent decision.
    actually separated discus on their own tank is not satisfy me,
    its make me headache to arranged the space available for new tank, and become more work to me bacause i need to installing the plumbing so all tank can using the same sump.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I honor your decession honorer . You seem like a dedicated fish keeper with this move .
    it was the only right thing to do right from the start of this thread ,but its great that you figure it by your self .
    Good luck raising your discus , and keep on asking questions here and learning about discus .
    the only thing that scares me is the stunted discus
    i fell my discus is not getting enough food since the first day on my tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i have another suggestion. get a large clear plexiglass or acrylic sheet that spans the width of the tank and extends upwards past the water's surface. u could place this sheet across the tank, maybe 15 inches back from the front glass, and then put only the discus in the front "tank" area and the larger rays and aros could live in the back "tank". u may need to get creative with water flow but a spray bar could help to bring flow where u want it. u could keep the front water movement minimal for the discus and direct more outflow to the large back area for the aros and rays. this way u could look into the tank and see all the fish and they would appear to be "together" in the tank and u would only need to maintain one single system. u could also feed them separately to ensure the discus got enough to eat. u could drill some holes in the divider to allow flow across it as well. it might take some creative thinking but i bet u could make it work

Silver Member

I second Kyla's option. I've had arowanas before and they are very fast growing carnivore, and having them out numbered the discus in the tank is an invitation to disaster. I've had 10 discus in a tank w/my arowana before and before long, he was looking at them as f00d. The difference ratio should be 10 dis to 1 aro but still, once the your aro is passed the 15" mark, I would not trust anything in it's sight less then doubled the size of his jaws.
    i have another suggestion. get a large clear plexiglass or acrylic sheet that spans the width of the tank and extends upwards past the water's surface. u could place this sheet across the tank, maybe 15 inches back from the front glass, and then put only the discus in the front "tank" area and the larger rays and aros could live in the back "tank". u may need to get creative with water flow but a spray bar could help to bring flow where u want it. u could keep the front water movement minimal for the discus and direct more outflow to the large back area for the aros and rays. this way u could look into the tank and see all the fish and they would appear to be "together" in the tank and u would only need to maintain one single system. u could also feed them separately to ensure the discus got enough to eat. u could drill some holes in the divider to allow flow across it as well. it might take some creative thinking but i bet u could make it work

Real Name
    Filip

Great idea Kyla .
    Semi closed tank in a tank ,or in a pool in this case . That way the discus gets piece from the beasts , low flow , enough food , and you get to maintain only your current system .

Registered Member

no its not work kyla, i dont like see my tank got divider like that,
    i think discus is not yet aclimated on the tank, lately they all swim all around the tank, chasing the food,
    but i already make the other tank, so i think way not to used it.

Registered Member

to day all fish moving to the new tank, i think its not big enough for 12 discus
    they all on the tank corner, not acclimated yet, is the same behavior like previous, need a week for they become active

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by honorer; 10-23-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Registered Member

updating my fish after 24 hour on they own tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

they should come around. the tank is very simple and clean, and it looks big enough for ur discus in the video... how many gallons does it hold?

Registered Member

they should come around. the tank is very simple and clean, and it looks big enough for ur discus in the video... how many gallons does it hold?
    about 78 us gallon kyla

but look like 1 a tiny melon is not right, red color on it body become pale, not all just a patch,
    is it sick, should i move it to quarantine tank kyla?
    what should i do guys, i concern about my rays because discus tank and aros/rays tank is used the same filtration

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by honorer View Post
    about 78 us gallon kyla

but look like 1 a tiny melon is not right, red color on it body become pale, not all just a patch,
    is it sick, should i move it to quarantine tank kyla?
    what should i do guys, i concern about my rays because discus tank and aros/rays tank is used the same filtration
    You can put your discus on sponge filters however keep in mind two things; first off you have already cross contaminated the discus and the rays and second, the sponge filters will not be cycled. Pulling the discus off the main sump will make it easier to treat in the future if needed.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    You can put your discus on sponge filters however keep in mind two things; first off you have already cross contaminated the discus and the rays and second, the sponge filters will not be cycled. Pulling the discus off the main sump will make it easier to treat in the future if needed.
    Pat
    Great advice here given from Pat , Honorer . I would try to separate the filtration in the discus tank too . That way you can do 90% daily changes , bump up temps, put salt and treat medications if further needed.
    So far just keep them in a perfectly clean enviroment , Change a lots of water daily and observe their further behavour.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great advice here given from Pat , Honorer . I would try to separate the filtration in the discus tank too . That way you can do 90% daily changes , bump up temps, put salt and treat medications if further needed.
    So far just keep them in a perfectly clean enviroment , Change a lots of water daily and observe their further behavour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    im thinking to separate the filtration, but dont know what filtration to use.
    dont have a space available for the sump, what if the overhead filters, or just using sponge filters.

all discus is eat like usual except 1 the melon is on problem, it stomach so big like had been eating, color is pale, and always hanging on tank corner.

any sign of sick fish looking at the vid bros ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast