AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Great advice helped immediately!

Default Great advice helped immediately!

So after months of great advice and guidance the tank was cycled running great, received 6 discus which thrived until yesterday when an aggressive fish sent my most expensive fish into hiding. I was so sad. It would eat and then retreat again under the driftwood. I am not sure which advice one or both came into play but I moved the driftwood and turned the temperature down to 82 F. Within an hour the Asian Pearl was out, comfortable, not being bullied and is actually, making the motions to lay eggs on the corner flow. Really? That is just crazy! I did order 2 new fish from Kenny to build up the group and dissolve the aggression. But wow! Amazing results from some great advice. That goes to show how valuable this forum is. That Asian Pearl could have become sick under stress and started illness within the entire tank. Now they are all out, eating, swimming and living in harmony, for now anyway. Awesome. I could not have imagined this even just a few hours ago! Thank You!Asian Pearl.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Great advice helped immediately!

I am so glad that the agresion problems stopped and your discus got setteled down Jenene. You can always try to move decor around your tank, for fish to reestablish their pecking order and new teritories if this problem reoccurs.
    As for the temperature , most experienced members on this forum recommends 82 F as an optimal temperature for keeping discus,so you might as well leave it that way for the long run .
    Last edited by Filip; 10-10-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    I am so glad that the agresion problems stopped and your discus got setteled down Jenene. You can always try to move decor around your tank, for fish to reestablish their pecking order and new teritories if this problem reoccurs.
    As for the temperature , most experienced members on this forum recommends 82 F as an optimal temperature for keeping discus,so you might as well leave it that way for the long run .
    Perfect. Thanks Filip. I had always thought it was supposed to be a bit higher. Better for my electric budget as well! 82 it shall be!

Real Name
    Patty

That's great news Jenene! My husband noticed the blue discus was getting aggressive, I noticed the yellow one chasing the red, then noticed the koi chasing another one. They're all pretty feisty during feeding times, then huddle together during WC's. Have you been pecked yet? They even want a piece of me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That's great news Jenene! My husband noticed the blue discus was getting aggressive, I noticed the yellow one chasing the red, then noticed the koi chasing another one. They're all pretty feisty during feeding times, then huddle together during WC's. Have you been pecked yet? They even want a piece of me!
    Yes. They have been pecking at me during cleanings. I have to vacuum under them and they don't even lift their feet for me. I will have to train them like I did my kids.