ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: wild discus in tap water

Default wild discus in tap water

hi all this question goes out to all the experienced wild discus keepers.i have been keeping and breeding wilds for a number of years and have had great success with using a ro mix water .now my question is can wild discus be acclimated to my tap water.the parameters are ph 7.6-7.8 1-2 dkh kh1 and tds less than 100 ppm,after 24-48 hours of ageing the water the ph drops to about 7 are these parameters in the safe range to keep wilds happy long term.

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: wild discus in tap water

What are your params currently with the RO?

Are they close or way different?

I'd sugggest a slow switch over throughout a bunch of water changes to adjust them...

That being said I keep mine in aged tap just fine

hey phillydubs ph around 6.5 dkh 1 kh less than 1 and tds 30 ppm.how long have you had your wilds in aged tap what are your parameters

i have keep my wilds in ro mix for years but in australia water costs are rising so i am looking to see if i can keep the hip pocket happy.i also don't want to compromise the health of my wilds at the same time,as wilds in australia are not available currenty due to changes in the import laws

Real Name
    Phil

Is it that steep of a price difference??

I have no problem keeping my wild discus and wild altum angelfish in my tap water with 8.5 PH. For the altum, I have to cheap by using buffer to lower the ph from 8.5 down to 7.0 but the wild discus are doing great in my tap water @ 8.5 ph. it has been 10 months now and all the discus are still doing great and so do my group of altums from Snookn21 this year.
    DISCUS CICHLIDS AND PTEROPHYLLUM ALTUMS

Real Name
    Ralph

I currently have a group of 7 Wild Blues in aged tap ph 7.5 tds 260ppm now 8 months in with no issues and had Wild Altums in similar tap in addition with peat brew for 6 years again never any issues. However, with the Blues I do plan on triggering a spawn so will be trying out r/o mix.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

i have 25 tanks and change 2000 litres per day.so the savings will add up quickly.i may just use ro mix for the wild pairs and aged tap for everything else.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by nevsfish View Post
    i have keep my wilds in ro mix for years but in australia water costs are rising so i am looking to see if i can keep the hip pocket happy.i also don't want to compromise the health of my wilds at the same time,as wilds in australia are not available currenty due to changes in the import laws
    I hear you....Do you live in Melbourne nevsfish?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

no geelong when you think for very litre of ro it wastes 2 litres.i use the water for watering the garden and washing my clothes but i make more than i can use and it goes down the drain when my water tank is full.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by nevsfish View Post
    no geelong when you think for very litre of ro it wastes 2 litres.i use the water for watering the garden and washing my clothes but i make more than i can use and it goes down the drain when my water tank is full.
    Often pass through Geelong on my way to Portarlington. Nice spot.

Hope you find a solution to deal with rising costs
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

No worries, my friend, look at this:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ters-for-Wilds

Pat's water parameter. Very very close to our Geelong water. Just go for it, no worries unless breeding and breeding trigger. My Green pair is having water at 55ppm for tds. PH should be 6 or 6.1. I gradually change water out and replace with pure RO. or sometimes, RO and tap mix.

Main tank pure tap is no problem. Also, our chlorine level is so low, and with the right amount of prime or chlorine neutralizer, you can simply do a straight tap to tank WC .

My 2 cents, I have my recently acquired wild heckels in aged chicago tap water- 7.4-7.6ph, -170tds. They are doing well, noticed recently importers are acclimating to tap water before they release it.

thanks suiyang our geelong water is very good compared to some others.i will be using aged straight tap in the future.thanks for the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by khooyang View Post
    No worries, my friend, look at this:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ters-for-Wilds

Pat's water parameter. Very very close to our Geelong water. Just go for it, no worries unless breeding and breeding trigger. My Green pair is having water at 55ppm for tds. PH should be 6 or 6.1. I gradually change water out and replace with pure RO. or sometimes, RO and tap mix.

Main tank pure tap is no problem. Also, our chlorine level is so low, and with the right amount of prime or chlorine neutralizer, you can simply do a straight tap to tank WC .

thanks allwin yes i have also noticed that a lot of hobbyists in my area are also keeping wilds in there tap water,should go along way to keeping water costs down,but not compromising the the health of my wilds
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwin View Post
    My 2 cents, I have my recently acquired wild heckels in aged chicago tap water- 7.4-7.6ph, -170tds. They are doing well, noticed recently importers are acclimating to tap water before they release it.