ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: think I'm ready for some Discus

Registered Member

Default think I'm ready for some Discus

Hello all, newbie to the discus world here and I think I am ready to start caring for some discus

my current setup-
    46 Gallon bowfront
    HOB filter rated for 70 gallon
    large sponge filter hooked up to air pump rated for 30 gallon
    tank is currently lightly planted and has some gravel, planning on changing that soon

the tank is currently stocked with 5 neon tetra, 2 bottle nose plecos, and 3 angelfish just about a quarter in size. From what I've read these can be tank mates with discus if introduced young?

Ive been able to steadily maintain a ph of about 6.4, ammonia and nitrite levels of 0, and a nitrate level of about 40 ( these numbers are based on the api master test kit, somewhat difficult to match colors and such) keeping it at 82 degrees

Anyways, Im in the process of setting up a water change system that will allow me to easily do 30 gal a day if need be ( I plan on posting a thread about that when it is complete), in addition to daily aquavac cleanings. in the near future will set up my 65 gallon tall tank to take this ones place

My question to you guys is a) are these all good tank mates for discus? b) how many small (2-2.5 inch) discus would you recommend growing out in what will eventually be a 65 gallon tall? c) are my water levels in good range to keep discus happy and healthy? If I'm going to do this Id like to do it right, and succesfully grow out some beautiful discus

thanks in advance for any input/ opinions!

- brendan

Registered Member

Default Re: think I'm ready for some Discus

Welcome mate!
    A 46 gallon bow front is not a good tank for discus!... and might be ok for a single breeding pair but that's about it in my opinion.
    If your going to do discus just do discus!... mixing discus with other tank mates can be very problem-matic mostly because other fish are carriers of bacteria they are totally resistant to but are deadly to some discus, the worst part is you can never tell before hand till they get sick.
    This is what I would do to start out:
    Get a nice 65-75 gallon tank, go bare bottom. Two large sponge filters (xy380 or ATI hydro#5 both work very well), do not use hang on back (in my opinion they require more maintaince with minimal benifit).
    Keep it as simple as possible, be prepared to change 80-90% water daily, don't forget to get a good heater.
    Test your water to see if the ph swings, (Fill 5gallon bucket, put air stone in it, measure ph then measure in 18-24hrs later, if your ph swings more then .5 you will need to age your water till the ph swing is stabilized.
    Discus must be kept in ph from 6.0-8.0 and the ph must be stable with almost no swinging, it tends to make them feel crappy if it swings.
    I am not going to get into a discus on why some push the ph lower but that's for a more advanced discussion that we just don't need to have now.
    If your ph is at 6.4 naturally out of the tap and it doesn't swing you have it made and half your battle is won.
    Just remember don't mix discus here and there, you will get diseases for sure and wipe out most if not all of your discus, buy from one source and do not start with too young, they are sensitive and not forgiving, buy 4-5 inch and you will be successful for sure.
    As you learn more about discus keeping you will have more knowledge to keep younger and grow them out, but if you try to go the route so many do they all end u sick part of the time. Start out simple and with older juvies, simple Bare bottom tanks are easy to keep clean and this is what discus need, very very (VERY) clean and fresh water.

Cheers again and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bwp69 View Post
    Hello all, newbie to the discus world here and I think I am ready to start caring for some discus

my current setup-
    46 Gallon bowfront
    tank is currently lightly planted and has some gravel, planning on changing that soon

the tank is currently stocked with 5 neon tetra, 2 bottle nose plecos, and 3 angelfish just about a quarter in size. From what I've read these can be tank mates with discus if introduced young?

Ive been able to steadily maintain a ph of about 6.4, ammonia and nitrite levels of 0, and a nitrate level of about 40 ( these numbers are based on the api master test kit, somewhat difficult to match colors and such) keeping it at 82 degrees

Anyways, Im in the process of setting up a water change system that will allow me to easily do 30 gal a day if need be ( I plan on posting a thread about that when it is complete), in addition to daily aquavac cleanings. in the near future will set up my 65 gallon tall tank to take this ones place

My question to you guys is a) are these all good tank mates for discus? b) how many small (2-2.5 inch) discus would you recommend growing out in what will eventually be a 65 gallon tall? c) are my water levels in good range to keep discus happy and healthy? If I'm going to do this Id like to do it right, and succesfully grow out some beautiful discus

- brendan

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by bwp69 View Post

my current setup-
    46 Gallon bowfront

- brendan
    Hi Brendan and welcome to Simply discus.

45 gallon bowfront tank is honestly very small for keeping discus .
    10 gallons per discus is a good rule of a thumb when it comes to stocking numbers and keeping discus in groups of min 6 discus is also a good general rule .

You can use this 45 gal. tank only as a barebottom grow out tank for a couple of months and max. for 6-7 , 4-5 inch discus .

I agree with David about starting with discus only , in a fresh and sterilized environment to avoid potential cross contamination .You can add other fish later on but only after a proper QT procedure .

Its a good thing that you have figured out a system for a quick water change with aged water , and for knowing the importance of changing water in discus keeping.

As for your questions :

1. Yes , you can keep that fish along with discus , but start with discus only and after a couple of months consider possible tankmates for your 65 tall tank.
    2.Buy as big as you can afford .4-5 inch is a good start .
    Max. Number for a 65 g is a 8 discus for the long run IMO .
    3.Yes , your tapwater is good for discus , just age it 24 hours prior water change and they'll be fine.
    40 ppm nitrates is unacceptable for discus . You should aim for 5-10 ppm at max.

Good luck Brendan , and inform your self good before you make the moves . Read the sticky subject on this forum and watch the video presentation , they are a very good start for a discus newbie .
    Last edited by Filip; 10-12-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Registered Member

I'm no expert, but I'm not real sure a 65 tall is the best choice, standard dimension is 36 inches long, seems you would want at least 48, look around for a good 75 gallon tank, in the long run you will be much happier as will the discus.
    Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution;
    it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny. — Aristotle

Registered Member

I have used 60gallon talls before, they actually like the height better, but more room in general is always better.
    Start out with 75g and don't mess around with a community tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusRob View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'm not real sure a 65 tall is the best choice, standard dimension is 36 inches long, seems you would want at least 48, look around for a good 75 gallon tank, in the long run you will be much happier as will the discus.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusRob View Post
    Excellent starter advice Rob .
    Discus prefer length over height so if you still have a chance to change your plans , go for the 75 g. standard lenght tank .

Real Name
    Willie

You cannot raise young discus in a planted tank. If that's all you have available, buy some adult fish - 5 inches and up. Of course they'll be much more expensive, so you might want to rethink your aquarium plans.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.