AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY automatic water changing system

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: DIY automatic water changing system

Finished the day by adding a blue background poster and a white bottom poster with some poster fix.
    2016-12-10 23.08.32.jpg
    Last edited by LoGeek; 12-10-2016 at 06:32 PM.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Using a hole saw to make a hole for the bulkhead in wooden stand:
    2016-12-12 00.01.13.jpg

Bulkhead in place:
    2016-12-12 00.01.42.jpg

Large coupling with reducer siliconed around the bulkhead. The vertical pvc pipe to the surface will be glued to the reducer. This will provide security since the tank cannot be emptied only due to a leaking bulkhead.
    2016-12-12 00.02.10.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

Some modifications to the Juwel filter box was needed to fit drain hose and drain pump inside.
    2016-12-14 01.16.39.jpg
    2016-12-14 01.17.00.jpg

The empty space below the filter box has been used to hide the bulkhead and the drain inlet.
    2016-12-14 01.15.37.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

I have now moved all the water from the old tank to the new, and it's now obvious how small the old tank is... about a quarter of the new.
    2016-12-15 00.21.35.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

The tank is up and running but I did not have time to complete the auto wc system, which was unfortunate since I'm now out travelling for 2.5 weeks.

My first wc caused lots of microbubbles (cold water here during winter). Yesterday I added the tap water through a 200 micron filter bag. Someone in a thread here on the forum mentioned it. It really works well! Almost no microbubbles. Will definately use at least one filter bag in my wc setup!

You do not want to use compression fittings if you don't have to. A solder joint is the best to use for copper. You also do not have to use a pressure reducing valve, the copper solder joints will hold more pressure than you will ever subject them to, and all PRV's will fail at some point, so its best not to rely on them. You need to build in as much failsafes and redundancies as possible. An emergency overflow is a good idea if one of the solenoids should fail and run water non stop into the tanks. As for the timer, most use a sprinkler system timer and the solenoids designed to be used with it.
    I use a mixing valve on my tanks to fill them for water changes, and it works well, but depending on how much water you plan on changing, you may need a tankless water heater or a very large tank style water heater. I run a large wet/dry filter for my central filtration, and I have a 2" overflow in my sump that sets the maximum waterline I want in the sump/filter. When I open my tank drains, or if I would forget to shut water off while filling tanks, all the excess water goes down the drain. I close the drain, and fill the tanks. You'll have to adjust the mixing valve periodically throughout the year as the incoming cold water temperature changes with the seasons. I see a 30 degree difference in my incoming water between summer and winter, it may be a larger swing in your area of Sweden.
    Tankless water heaters, if you have one, can only handle so much flow as well, and the colder the water, the slower the flow they put out. This will affect your fill rates, but generally isn't a problem for changing water, it just means it takes longer.

Leland

Real Name
    Jörgen

Thanks for some good advice and thoughts Leland. I hope compression fittings are somewhat safe since my house is full of them (standard in Sweden)!

I've found a real quality PRV and thought it would add some safety by lowering risk of leaks and also making sure my drain has larger capacity than my fill line. What risk do you see with PRV? That they stop working well or actually leak themselves?

Good point about the thermostatic valve. I have huge temperature differences over the year.

Ah! I wasn't aware that compression fittings were so popular in Sweden! lol They are a handyman's fitting here, and tend to fail if installed poorly, and are much more expensive than a standard copper fitting and solder joint. PRV's tend to fail and either get stuck where they are, or slowly creep open and let the pressure increase as the spring inside the valve looses its tension. We typically only install one on the mainline entering a house, if the pressure needs to be lowered, and an accompanying expansion tank, set 5psi higher than the PRV's set pressure, installed near the water heater on the cold water line to buffer the thermal expansion. The water pressure in the waterlines will not change unless heated, so there is no need to install a PRV on your waterlines IMO. You can lower the pressure down very low I suppose to possibly reduce the chances of a leak, but should one occur, you can still have good water volume at low pressure, meaning quite a bit of water can still come out of the water lines.
    There are solenoid ball valves made to be installed on the cold water input of water heaters or main water lines, that have a water sensor attached to them, that automatically close when the sensor gets wet to prevent a flood. One of these may be a good idea if you're worried about leaks. A word of warning though, the sensors are very sensitive to water, and cannot be splashed by accident. A water sensor on a fish room floor would be tough to keep dry, but you could devise a cover or safe area I'm sure.

-Leland

Real Name
    Jörgen

Ok now I see your points. Yes, a large leak will occur even if the pressure is low. My thought was that the risk of a leak developing should be lower under low pressure. Especially when a solenoid closes and creates a quick pressure difference in the system. My city water pressure can be quite high.
    Your point about the spring is good. My prv has replacable spring so I should probably monitor the pressure with a gauge.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Returned back home tonight after almost 3 weeks abroad. All my juvies are alive and well, even though I did not have time to install my wc system before I left . I might have stunted them a bit by going away for such a long time when they are so young..? But I'm mainly focusing on the learning experience rather than growing out dinner plates now when I'm new to discus.

I was sad to see my tank bottom glass though. I spent so much time adding a white Juwel poster to the outside of the glass using their poster fix. Now it's not very white anymore:
    2017-01-03 22.34.24.jpg
    Was I stupid trying to attach it to the bottom glass? The one I put on the rear glass is fine. Some minor "bubbles" and scratches have appeared but looking good overall. Very irritating with the bottom since I'm planning on keeping it bare bottom and wanted it to look nice. Have already done some plumbing, so removing the fish and tank to paint it is a PITA!

But you probably know the feeling - if I don't fix it I will notice the bottom and be frustrated every time I see the tank.

Any recommendations? Is painting it the best way to go? What type of paint? How many layers and what curing time should I expect? Don't want my fish out of the tank for too long.
    Last edited by LoGeek; 01-03-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Real Name
    Jörgen

They were about 4-5cm when I bought them from Stendker in august. How many weeks old is that approximately?

August:
    2017-01-05 21.53.40.jpg

Today. Hope I haven't stunted them too much with my trips and beginner mistakes.

2017-01-05 21.52.02.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

Real Name
    Jörgen

I could not stand the look of the bottom. So today the tank was emptied into the old Lido 120l. Tomorrow I'll start painting the bottom instead.

2017-01-09 00.15.57.jpg
    2017-01-09 00.15.28.jpg
    2017-01-08 23.04.26.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Is that one in the pic from 1/5 missing a bottom
    Portion of finnage ?

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Is that one in the pic from 1/5 missing a bottom
    Portion of finnage ?
    I have not noticed any missing parts of fins. I think some slight fin damage has been made when I have netted them. I haven't been worried about that since I thought it would heal fine...?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast