AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Babies cherry

Real Name
    Julian

Default Babies cherry

I almost caught her dropping the babies. by the time I pull my phone she was gone but let the babies behind. I have a few berry ones but these are the first ones.
    I maintain a low tech heavy planted tank with ADA substrate the cherries are fed very sparingly and they do a good job with the algae cleaning.

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1763.JPGIMG_1762.JPG

I post some pictures that are not that close for reference.
    Last edited by Pardal; 10-12-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Re: Babies cherry

Hi Julian, I have started a shrimp tank myself and learning the tricks of the trade....I am wondering if keeping a bristlenose pleco with them is a good idea or not? the tank was recently setup and had a algae bloom and I transferred my ABN to it to help small otos 1-2 inch with some cleaning...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    Hi Julian, I have started a shrimp tank myself and learning the tricks of the trade....I am wondering if keeping a bristlenose pleco with them is a good idea or not? the tank was recently setup and had a algae bloom and I transferred my ABN to it to help small otos 1-2 inch with some cleaning...
    If you are adding a pleco, make sure you monitor the ammonia. I had a large driftwood in my tank with cherry shirmp and I lost many cherry shrimp when I introduced a pleco because of the amount of waste pleco produced in just few days. I removed the pleco and added some otocinclus instead.
    Its me "Prabhu" I am just a little angry these days

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    I have a small bristle nose once with no apparently problems , however if you want to breed them. I will remove it specially the otto's . plecos and tetra's are more forgiving, but everyone eats shrimp (babies) . the plecos and tetras won't mess with the adults but will eat the babies since the are so small if they get a chance. remember there are not such thing as pure algae eaters they tend to be more omnivorous. In my opinion there are not better algae eaters than cherry shrimps. Check your WC regimen, and lighting , stay away from adding supplements they are bad for shrimps in the long run anyway.
    Shrimp should be in a single species tank to thrive, with 10% WC every 10 days, a lot of plants to compete with algae , plants like amazon chain sword, java moss or any moss for that matter, penny wort ,regular amazons and anubias work great for me. I strongly recommend a quality substrate like ADA.
    Oh I forgot shrimps prefer and do better in well established plants tanks. I will wait 2 or 3 months in a planted tank before introduce shrimps, and I won't do WC in the first 2 or 3 month to this plant only tank. I will initiated the 10% WC every 10 days once I add the fish around two month these were cardinals and one small bristle so the bio- load is not that big to throw the parameters out wack. i introduce the shrimps about the middle of month 3 and remove the fish once I see a female berry.
    Again I am a Discus guy for my experience plants don't do well in a Discus tank so what I do is to rotate the plants for a couple of months or so in my display tank only. And return to the plants/shrimp to recover.
    Last edited by Pardal; 10-14-2016 at 11:48 PM.