AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Reputable breeders in Florida

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Reputable breeders in Florida

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy 9 Discus for my 180gal but since I live in the Cayman Islands need to find a breeder close to home so the fish survive their 2-3 day journey. It seems my best option is DiscusUSA.com but I discovered the thread where they are banned here. I looked at the sponsors in Florida but they do not seem to have a good selection of what I'm looking for. I'm looking for:

Three 4" Blue Diamond or other solid blue (medium blue or darker)
    Three 4" Yellow Dragon or Golden Checkerboard
    Three 4" Red Dragon or possibly Snow Leopard

My main issue is that the breeders I've contacted don't ship outside the U.S./Canada so it needs to go to my freight forwarder in Miami, Fl. and reach them by 12:00pm noon in order to reach me by the following day around 5:00pm.

*If anyone knows of a good breeder that will ship to me directly please let me know! Shipping cost isn't an issue as I'm used to paying high prices due to where I live.

Thanks,
    Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-15-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Reputable breeders in Florida

List below are three of the sponsors in Florida,Have you contacted with them ?

SNOOKN21's Wild Discus/Freshwater Tropicals (John) - Fort Myers, Florida

First Coast Discus (Ryan Smith)-Central Florida

Discus Origins (Mark Chen) - Ocala, Florida
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Hi Akili:

They were the first three I looked at:

SNOOKN21's Wild Discus: they appear to focus on wild-caught discus, but as mentioned in my post I'm looking for domestic.
    First Coast Discus: their website current stock listing is outdated but I've requested a current stock list from them.
    Discus Origins: also requested their current stock list so hopefully they will have a greater selection in stock than what I see on their site.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-15-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Kenny's Discus shipped my fish to Florida from California. He is a sponsor here and I'll bet he could help you. He has a great selection, great prices and high quality fish.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Kenny's Discus shipped my fish to Florida from California. He is a sponsor here and I'll bet he could help you. He has a great selection, great prices and high quality fish.
    Yeah I spoke to him, spent some time with me on the phone. Really nice guy. Unfortunately the Health Certificate he provides doesn't meet the requirements of my local gov't fish & wildlife dept (I also had to apply for an import permit). I wound up ordering from the breeder in FL., he's hand delivering the shipment right to my freight forwarder so it works out great.
    I ordered:
    Three 4.5"-5" Blue Scorpions
    Two 4"-4.5" Yellow Checkerboards
    Two 4"-4.5" Royal Ruby Reds
    Two 4"-4.5" Altum Flora Stripes
    One 4"-4.5" Super White Butterfly

Will receive them Thursday 27-Oct. Really excited. They'll be going into a new 180gal with sump, so a sterile environment. I don't plan to put any other fish in with them right away, but in about 3-4 months I might add some cories and dither fish but only from the same breeder. During the next 3-4 months I'll have ~1/2" PFS and some driftwood only.

Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-22-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

discususa brings in some of the best discus in the world from a world champion breeder. the facility has nothing but quality fish and David is a heck of a guy, he'll take car of you

Real Name
    Patty

Glad everything worked out for you. Hope you will post pictures of your tank and fish when you get them.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by dadecountyalan View Post
    discususa brings in some of the best discus in the world from a world champion breeder. the facility has nothing but quality fish and David is a heck of a guy, he'll take car of you
    He seems really nice and has gone out of his way to help me with my order.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Glad everything worked out for you. Hope you will post pictures of your tank and fish when you get them.
    Hi Patty,

I sure will.

Registered Member dadecountyalan's Avatar

I saw your fish today. I passed by Discususa to pick up my new fish and let me tell you, you are going to be extremely happy. Grow them right and you can have showfish. Theres a blue scorpion in the group that for his age, has so much color

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Wow that's awesome! I posted the pics David sent me in a different post here, and they look really good to me, but thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by dadecountyalan View Post
    I saw your fish today. I passed by Discususa to pick up my new fish and let me tell you, you are going to be extremely happy. Grow them right and you can have showfish. Theres a blue scorpion in the group that for his age, has so much color