ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Guidance in treating tank mates profalactically.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Guidance in treating tank mates profalactically.

In a few months I'm going to be moving my discus (hero 1st) in my 125 gal. I'm going to move my cories, tetras & elec blues in a 20 gal while I remove plants & substrate from 125. I was thinking this would be a good time to ensure a good transition by treating them to ensure they are free of parasites or anything else they could be harboring. I have plenty of time to get the 125 gal and my clean up crew ready.
    I'm lost on what to treat for however.
    I've done small 10% wc on the 125 gal. I've had my currant batch in there a couple months and issues were tetras getting sucked into the overflow and I'd find them in the filter socks. I turned my flow down and that problem is resolved. I've also had missing fish. I count heads when feeding and there are 3 missing tetras and a very small EB just disappeared.
    I thought deworming might be good, but is there anything else I can do? I really just want the cories and EB's in the 125 and I'll hopefully have 10 discus.
    Your ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is long..

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Guidance in treating tank mates profalactically.

Hello Patty...The problem is what would you treat for if there is nothing visually present. I would think clean water will be all you need along with the cycled 125 g. You mention on top that you currently have Discus? but near the bottom you mention you will hopefully have 10 Discus?

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Patty

Yeah, I said hopefully will have 10 because of my hero fish and I ordered 3 more from Kenny that will be shipped in a week?
    The 7 in my 75 gal are doing great. I would like to treat tetras, electric blues & cories for parasites and deworm them just to make sure they are clean before I put in a hero fish. I don't think I'm very good at recognizing problems that aren't obvious.
    My husband tends to agree with you. Also, I'm not up for sterilizing a 125 gal because I dont have enough barrels or energy to change both tanks. I do tend to overthink things sometimes. I'm a nurse and this could be a job hazard. I find it pretty easy to recognize a problem with a human-we test blood, blood pressure, heart rates etc- fish? Not so easy!

Real Name
    Ralph

Patty...how long have you had the cories, tetras & elec blues (rams)? If they have been in your possession for months plus I don't see why one would treat but understand your caution.
    In any event I'm sure someone will pop in with any other advise...maybe a minor PP bath.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Patty

Thanks Ralph. I've been reading on this site and I've decided to sterilize the tank and do a treatment. Now I'll read about pp baths if you think that'd be a good one.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Patty

Real Name
    Patty

Apparently cories are too sensitive to do a pp treatment. I'm going to listen to you Ralph and my husband & not fix it if it's not broken. I'm going to up the wc in the 125 gal and keep them as healthy as I can then cross my fingers & hope for the best. Thanks again for helping me figure this out.

Real Name
    Patty

Been hanging out in the library, reading threads and have been told by members here that it's too big of a risk. I'm not going to cross my fingers. I'm doing medicated flakes and assuming my fish are at least carriers of diseases that could harm my discus. It's the safest route for my cories & I can treat for protazoans, bacteria & worms. I'm taking a more proactive preventive approach. Just putting this out there for anyone else that may stumble on this thread who finds themselves in a similar situation.
    Now whether or not they eat it is another matter...
    I do thank you for your input Ralph. I see so many cories with discus in pics, but no "how to" so maybe you're right and I'm crazy, but me, myself, & my invisible friends all agree! Lol

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Patty, perhaps use a hero fish with the cories and other dithers.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Well Pat, since I saw your "domestic or wild post" I do have a hero fish picked out that could be replaced with that wild I can't stop thinking about....I have a lot of research to do before that happens and a lot of quarantine time to do it. The worst part is I don't feel guilty yet for hoping he doesn't make it. You've created a monster with one gorgeous pic!
    Patty

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Well Pat, since I saw your "domestic or wild post" I do have a hero fish picked out that could be replaced with that wild I can't stop thinking about....I have a lot of research to do before that happens and a lot of quarantine time to do it. The worst part is I don't feel guilty yet for hoping he doesn't make it. You've created a monster with one gorgeous pic!
    Patty
    I have been accused of that in the past Patty and gladly take responsibility.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening