AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planted 120cmx45x45

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Default Re: Planted 120cmx45x45

dang that hydrocotyl is doing so good for you, what light are you running? it really loves your light
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeffrey

The lights are LED's from GLA or Green Leaf Aquarium. I got them on sale as they were closing them out but they have been great. I think they no longer sell them but they might be able to connect you some how??? I believe that the plants are a bit happy as I do use CO2 and EI fertilizer. It has been the best for keeping algae at bay. I have had my battles and it always revolves around my CO2 usually. The lights are quite bright and most of my research has been that Discus are not so happy with bright lights. They seem to go in and out of the light with not to much worry but half of the tank surface is covered with the Pennywort or Hydrcotyl which I am taking a machete to about every 2 weeks I have to be careful now that I have bigger fish as I swing!
    I have been doing 50% WC every 2-3 days and I did bump the temp up to 82 for all those concerned! They are happy and creating there pecking order so to speak.

Real Name
    Filip

Green leaf aquarium is a famous brand for plants and plant accesories , so i would guess that your light is perfectly fine-tuned for growing any aquatic plants .
    As for the bright light , dont worry too much about it because on the list of discus stressors IMO its much lower than the water quality , Co2 use and daily ph shifts with it , EI fertilizers , gravel and filters cleanness and maintenance etc.etc. Discus can get used to bright lights plus you have a surface filled with floaters that are keeping shade for them .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeffrey

After 2 months to the day after my first post in October 4 of my Rose Red Discus are paired and have laid eggs! IMG_3357.jpgIMG_3355.jpg
    Last edited by JGSLA; 12-19-2016 at 09:17 PM.

Real Name
    Filip

Great news Jeffrey .
    Please put a pic of the whole tank and other discus as well for us to see the progress on plants and discus.
    P.s. if your water in tank is very soft +-50 ppm TDS you may have free swimmers in a while .
    Last edited by Filip; 12-20-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 for FTS update
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Awesome looking tank Jeffery. I really like how you ran the inlet and outlet pipes through your bench top with what looks like stainless steel pipe. Very clean
    I'm also looking forward to more updated pics.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Eric

So how many fish have you lost to jumping from the tank? I think I hear one of my discus hit their head on my tank cover daily, having my tank uncovered like this would have me in constant paranoia.

That being said, this is one of the best looking minimalist planted tanks I have seen. Your discus look great in there, would love to see updated pics.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeffrey

No jumpers yet! I have lost my other Rummy Nose Tetras as the discus are quick moving and tend to scare my other fish now and then to jump. I had some wigglers from one of the mating pairs that hatched and eggs that were developing with the other mating pair and they were all gone this AM I'm not sure who got hungry or over taking care of the eggs and young but I think they are all gone! I will try for a FTS had to look that one up, Full tank shot soon! I have been doing 50% Water changes about every 2nd or 3rd day with happy fish so far.

Real Name
    Phil

+1 on that tank shot! Love the single strain red look as well. How big were the fish when you purchased them? What size would you say they are at now ?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeffrey

They were 3-3.5" They have grown I'm guessing 4-4.25" I will try to measure them some one wanted an over all shot but it was during the day so you can get context of the tank and the room. I have included a shot. I will try to post one soon of the fish.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

Real Name
    Jörgen

Nice looking open tank!

What kind of window is that to the right? Does it open like a garage door? Are those common in the states?

Real Name
    Phil

I don't think that is a window, I think it is the garage! Lol... At least that is what I assumed it was or like an out door shed or structure for plant storage . Awesome you have the sink so close!!

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by JGSLA View Post
    They were 3-3.5" They have grown I'm guessing 4-4.25" I will try to measure them some one wanted an over all shot but it was during the day so you can get context of the tank and the room. I have included a shot. I will try to post one soon of the fish.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Excellent looking open top tank Jeffrey. I especially like the emersed look of your hydrocotyle jungle .
    Neat and fancy tank overall , in every single detail .

Registered Member

Love the tank! Also love the room! Can we see more pictures of the whole space? I'm intrigued!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast