AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another fish dead from Cloudy eyes, another one in tank getting dark

Registered Member

Default Another fish dead from Cloudy eyes, another one in tank getting dark

This is a continuation from my previous thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...85-Cloudy-eyes

So here is the thing. I am in college now so I am not the one taking care of the tank anymore. My dad is. So when I started the last thread, I came back home for the weekend and saw 1 of the discus darting around and started having cloudy eyes. The symptoms popped up 2 weeks after water changes frequency was only 2 times a week 100%(I was doing 100% everyday). On the Monday I left, the discus with symptoms had died. I told my dad to do water changes every other day now. I thought everything would be fine. 2 weeks later, another one died(a week ago). I did not know about this until today when I came back home and see one discus missing from my tank. My parents didn't tell me because I think they felt bad that the discus were dying in their care LOL. Apparently the day before, 2nd discus death, they went to Petsmart, got some advice and got Melafix. They told me they put in 2 doses, the day the symptoms started showing up and the day the discus died. They stopped doses after the discus died.

But now another one has symptoms, no cloudy eyes yet but dark and not eating.

I had a similar problem with my other batch of discus last year where they were dark and had a bacterial infection. Forum members told me to use Furan for that situation.

I am back for the weekend again and am trying to get everything cleaned up before I leave on Monday again. I have a box of Furan left over and applied the first dose after I did a 100% water change.

Is using Furan the best for this situation? I am going to bleach all my equipment and water barrel tomorrow. What else should I do?

Default Re: Another fish dead from Cloudy eyes, another one in tank getting dark

Could really use pics here Jeff. Are you sure your parents are doing the maintenance they are supposed to?

What are your parameters? Do you have low kh? pH crashes will cause cloudy eyes (burns)

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: Another fish dead from Cloudy eyes, another one in tank getting dark

I have high kH. I am pretty sure water changes are every other day.

Should I bleach everything after the treatment is done? How about the filters? Should I replace them when the treatment is finished or just a wash would be fine?

Registered Member

Bump.

Other are still darting around. Could this be whirling or a symptom of cloudy eyes?

Registered Member

Default Is all darting related to whirling disease?

What causes a discus to erratically dart around the tank? Some of my discus are darting. Is it associated with whirling disease?

Default Re: Is all darting related to whirling disease?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff12 View Post
    What causes a discus to erratically dart around the tank? Some of my discus are darting. Is it associated with whirling disease?
    Have you tested water to make sure something isn't off first?

Registered Member

Mine will dart if frightened,occasionally by someone walking up to tank or when lowering pump into tank for a water change....sometimes one discus will make a quick dash and scare the others into the same frenzy.I think if they are "caught off guard" they can react by darting around,sometimes crashing into things too.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Mine will dart if frightened,occasionally by someone walking up to tank or when lowering pump into tank for a water change....sometimes one discus will make a quick dash and scare the others into the same frenzy.I think if they are "caught off guard" they can react by darting around,sometimes crashing into things too.
    My discus have been pretty steady. Usually not much spooks them. Today one got spooked and raced back and forth multiple times bumping wood and glass.

Maybe they just have a bad day?

Sounds a little odd but there is sort of two kinds of darting. One from being frightened and one; for lack of a better term "biological".
    Being frightened is obvious, but the other one could be from a whole host of difficult to find reasons.
    parasites, water parameters, aerosols introducing something into the water, voltage leaks from equipment, vibrations from pumps, equipment, etc.

And as Ryan says, sometimes they are just discus. Not much phases my fish either, they are in the living room in a high traffic area. The dog will go by 1000 times and they will follow him from one end to the other. On the 1001 time they will freak out and dash to the back corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Sounds a little odd but there is sort of two kinds of darting. One from being frightened and one; for lack of a better term "biological".
    Being frightened is obvious, but the other one could be from a whole host of difficult to find reasons.
    parasites, water parameters, aerosols introducing something into the water, voltage leaks from equipment, vibrations from pumps, equipment, etc.

And as Ryan says, sometimes they are just discus. Not much phases my fish either, they are in the living room in a high traffic area. The dog will go by 1000 times and they will follow him from one end to the other. On the 1001 time they will freak out and dash to the back corner.
    Exactly. Mine are in a super high traffic area. They have a five year old springting by all day long. No issues. Today it startled me seeing the one darting in the tank then rest of the day is fine. I think as always discus will be discus.

If this is an issue you see occurring regularly then perhaps there may be a problem. Besr thing IMO is process of elimination. Start with your water.

Registered Member

Seems like anything irritating or stressful can cause it.

Jeff,
    I have read the other thread and have looked at this one now. ... I'm really thinking theres issues with your water/ water changes. I don't think this is bacterial....and its not whirling disease. I think you should look closer at the water itself. If you and your parents are doing these water changes and you haven't added fish to bring in a disease, and the fish are stressed and darting theres something wrong with your water. Do your parents know to treat the water with declorinator? What are you using for that?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jeff,
    I have read the other thread and have looked at this one now. ... I'm really thinking theres issues with your water/ water changes. I don't think this is bacterial....and its not whirling disease. I think you should look closer at the water itself. If you and your parents are doing these water changes and you haven't added fish to bring in a disease, and the fish are stressed and darting theres something wrong with your water. Do your parents know to treat the water with declorinator? What are you using for that?

al
    My runt tank which used to be up and running a month ago, 2 died from whirling, but it was because they darted so much that they jumped out of the tank.

I use safe and have asked them and they said yes. I think if they missed a dechlor the fish would die, wouldn't they?

I changed the water myself everyday for the whole weekend and I still saw them dart. Tomorrow is the last day of the 4 day treatment for furan 2. The eruption leopard is healing and is getting less dark, that one I haven't seen dart but the others have.

Registered Member

Mine are near the tv and is in the living room.

They would randomly just dart back and forth like crazy all of a sudden out of the blue.

Metroplex + Kanaplex + set temp to 92F for one week. No feeding, lights off and water change 25% every other day. I'm very successful with this routine to some of my darting fish. It's easy to tell if the fish darting or just got spook.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast