ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really awesome Drain hoses !

Exclamation Really awesome Drain hoses !

If you are like me you have tanks scattered everywhere. Plumbing them is just not feasible. Water changes can be a royal pain. I have bought some large heavy duty garden and farm hoses.. They work okay but they are a pain to roll up.. They are either so stiff its like working out at the Gym and they take up a ton of room or the darn things Kink and you go crazy trying to unkink them. I tried those clear tubing reinforced for Pressure .. same thing. Hard to roll and store...bulky to move around.

Very Frustrating! I finally found something that is perfect for my needs... Flexible, durable,doesn't kink, comes with various inside Diameters of 1/2", 3/4" and 1", probably larger. A few months ago my brother gave me some underground flexible conduit. I was going to use it for running some outside power.. The other day it struck me as I looked at it that this stuff was perfect.. it comes in rolls and also sold by the foot at my Home Depot .

conduit.jpg

Now if someone else has posted on this that I missed I'm going kick myself because it would have made my water changes so much easier had I seen it so I am sharing here.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Really awesome Drain hoses !

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    If you are like me you have tanks scattered everywhere. Plumbing them is just not feasible. Water changes can be a royal pain. I have bought some large heavy duty garden and farm hoses.. They work okay but they are a pain to roll up.. They are either so stiff its like working out at the Gym and they take up a ton of room or the darn things Kink and you go crazy trying to unkink them. I tried those clear tubing reinforced for Pressure .. same thing. Hard to roll and store...bulky to move around.

Very Frustrating! I finally found something that is perfect for my needs... Flexible, durable,doesn't kink, comes with various inside Diameters of 1/2", 3/4" and 1", probably larger. A few months ago my brother gave me some underground flexible conduit. I was going to use it for running some outside power.. The other day it struck me as I looked at it that this stuff was perfect.. it comes in rolls and also sold by the foot at my Home Depot .

conduit.jpg

Now if someone else has posted on this that I missed I'm going kick myself because it would have made my water changes so much easier had I seen it so I am sharing here.

hth,
    al
    Nice idea. I have tons of this stuff and never thought of that.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, do you use it for filling...ie is it safe for the fish?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I am only using it for draining but its got a PVC jacket... I can't think of any reason why it would not be okay for filling tanks... I'd have to do more research though.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks Al, my drain hoses are not too long but my one fill hose is 75 feet is is a PITA to roll and store hence the reason I asked.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I had a problem with long drain hoses being a PITA to roll up. But I rigged up a garden hose reel with a quick connector to my utility sink in the garage and it works like a charm.

Hi Al,

Do you have any idea how the conduit compares to Pex tubing?

Hi Craig,
    I do, ..I have both here as I redid a bunch of copper pipes and changed over. The Pex is much more rigid and no wheres near as flexible. Its too bad as that would definetly be fine for filling as well as draining. It won't kink, but its not easy to roll and manipulate.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

so what do you put on the conduit for ends?

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    so what do you put on the conduit for ends?
    Its just a drain hose so Its just a cut hose...

but I see no reason why you couldn't put anything you wanted on there....including a python if that is what you needed.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

so you just use it as a siphon? I was wondering if you had put say some type of hose ends on it or attached a pump to it. great idea actually I'm getting old enough that my daily carrying of 200gal of water 5 gal at a time in the winter is starting to wear on me This year I ran a hose from the sink so far buy the wife is not to fond of the thing running through the house every night.

I was at a friends house and he had rigged up some PVC fittings and a sump pump hose to do his changes but I was not to fond of the clamping but to be honest his is in a out building with concrete so for him it didn't matter if the hose slid off so to speak. THAT would be a deal breaker for the wife lol

Im just using it to drain but I am sure you could modify easily.

Btw..my wifes 125 gal tank is filled by tap water from the sink. Found a real cool quick disconnect at home depot if that helps..

..2016-10-27 13.06.21.jpg

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

so you just use it as a siphon? I was wondering if you had put say some type of hose ends on it or attached a pump to it. great idea actually I'm getting old enough that my daily carrying of 200gal of water 5 gal at a time in the winter is starting to wear on me This year I ran a hose from the sink so far buy the wife is not to fond of the thing running through the house every night.

I was at a friends house and he had rigged up some PVC fittings and a sump pump hose to do his changes but I was not to fond of the clamping but to be honest his is in a out building with concrete so for him it didn't matter if the hose slid off so to speak. THAT would be a deal breaker for the wife lol
    You could easily put hose ends on it. They make liquidtight fittings straight and 90°. It is a compression fitting with mip threads. They are designed to thread into j boxes or through knockouts. You could put one on the end then use a 3/4"FIP to 3/4" FHT adaptor. Super simple stuffnmlt-75.jpg

Real Name
    Steve

Hi Ivan,
    Your set up sound very similar to what I did until recently. I now age/mix/heat my water in 35 gal Brutes and pump it into my tanks using a PondMaster magnetic submersible pump. I went to the local shop and bought some pvc hose fittings for it and bought some drinking water hoses. It's made life so much easier! Do you age your water in containers like that?
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    You could easily put hose ends on it. They make liquidtight fittings straight and 90°. It is a compression fitting with mip threads. They are designed to thread into j boxes or through knockouts. You could put one on the end then use a 3/4"FIP to 3/4" FHT adaptor. Super simple stuffnmlt-75.jpg
    thanks Ryan I have not looked into it yet but I figured they had something. I had just bought a new 50' hose so I will tuck this in the ol'file for later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast