ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for cheap alteratives to AquaClear Filters...

Default Looking for cheap alteratives to AquaClear Filters...

I'm a huge fan of aquaclear HOB (Hang on Back) filters. I have about 15 of the 110's currently running. As much as I like the filters...I hate 2 things. They are ridiculously expensive for what they are... and as they get old, they get noisy. I can deal with the noisy, but right now I can't deal with the "ridiculously expensive" part. I'm looking for cheap alternatives to try... I am looking something comparable to the aquaclear 110 ( I use on 55,75, and 125 gal tanks) and aquaclear 70 ( I use on 29 gal tanks).

Suggestions? have you found anything that does its job without terribly lightening your wallet?

thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: Looking for cheap alteratives to AquaClear Filters...

Al,

Unfortunately I have not... I hear bad reviews about the others or people just say they don't even mess with them and always just buy aqua clear...

I mean the only cheap alternative is just using sponges I guess. Again, that doesn't really answer your question because this isn't an HOB...

My one aqua clear is almost 2 years old and lately seems to like to sporadically take some air in the tube and get noisy and I have to jossle it around a bit to get it to stop...

Al,
    I have tried a bio wheel one and a couple others, but I favor the aquaclears......
    Do you use them on breeder tanks with wigglers and fry on the backs? Do you use a prefilter then? Do you favor the aquaclear over a sponge filter and if so, why?
    Just nosy, I mean curious

Ardan

What's wrong with using sponges? I quit using HOBs years ago.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

I don't know of anything either. The secret got out about Aquaclears and the priced jumped up. They have always been a big box and powerful pump, no frills about them. Now the prices reflect frills that aren't there.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ralph

I have some fish buddies that use Marineland Penguin Power Filter with no complaints but they compare to the AC's in price I think.
    I love the AC's myself and have many but there is one that stands out which is the brown colored 5000. Must be very old but never stops and is extremely quit. It may compare to today's AC 110.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

I replace the impeller when it gets noisy instead of buying a new filter. I don't know if it is me but the plastic on the newer filters seems to be not as thick
    causing cracking.

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 10-24-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What's wrong with using sponges? I quit using HOBs years ago.
    Nothings Wrong with sponges Liz, I use a ton of them here as well but they sometimes just don't cut it by themselves. Especially on bigger tanks or over stocked tanks. My favorite set up makes use of both, though for breeders I just use sponges.
    al

I replace the impeller when it gets noisy instead of buying a new filter. I don't know if it is me but the plastic on the newer filters seems to be not as thick
    causing cracking.

Cliff
    Cliff I noticed that too about the plastic...so I always hold onto my housings. The impeller and Motors have gotten pricey too.. Best I could find is $18 Thats just the motor. The Impeller isn't included...thats another $18. Have you found a good supplier for them?

Apparently the priceof the aquaclear is being tightly controlled by the manufacturer (hagen). drsfostersmith.com has a note "
    Sorry, this item is not eligible for promo offers & coupons."
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    causing cracking.

Cliff
    correct here that was one of the reasons I never liked the Aquaclear's those are the most cheaply made impellers and they are pricey for what they are. I know many here HATE the Marineland penguin and Emperor power filters but I have had them for 30+ years with no complaints. The only complaint I do have is a few years ago they(marineland) quit making the clam shell you would use when you needed to medicate(no Carbon). They even made some of the pre-cut floss that fit them perfectly, I have made do with whisper bags that fit fine but my clam shell is going on 20yrs old and I need a new set. Guess I'll need to go to Swiss Tropical and buy some foam to fit when and if I ever need to medicate.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Apparently the priceof the aquaclear is being tightly controlled by the manufacturer (hagen). drsfostersmith.com has a note "

al
    Al that has been the case on many products I have bought from F & S as well as other suppliers like That pet place. Many manufactures are clamping down on promotions. Many are also no longer supporting legacy products with replacement parts.

Registered Member

Yeah, AC 110's are getting overpriced. It's sad that you can get a Sun Sun canister for cheaper than them.

Registered Member

just lol @ people paying retail price nowadays in this hobby.with a lil patience and searching everyday on craigslist and other fish forums you can get ac filters used for dirt cheap. i got 2 of my ac filter 110 $30 each off craiglist and 2 ac70 for $20 each on other fish forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nikond70s View Post
    just lol @ people paying retail price nowadays in this hobby.with a lil patience and searching everyday on craigslist and other fish forums you can get ac filters used for dirt cheap. i got 2 of my ac filter 110 $30 each off craiglist and 2 ac70 for $20 each on other fish forums.
    Lol..well ain't you just special?! j/k! Nice finds! I'm a craigslist/ebay fiend and when I can buy something used to meet my needs I definitely will...sometimes you can save a bundle. But of course sometimes you wind up buying someone elses aged and failing equipment. $30 for a used Ac110 is better than $79.00 for a new one at face value. As a consideration though the new one comes with a 2 year warranty on all parts and lifetime on non-replaceable one (things like impeller are excluded). Thats a pretty decent warranty these days.

In 2011 I was buying them for $54...2016 they are $79.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-28-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

I order hard to find parts directly from Hegan, but that was more than 17 years ago, they since have gone through many restructuring. I mostly order
    from couple LFS that gives discounts to aquarium
    maintenance businesses.

Cliff

Al, I use Magnum 250's along with my sponges. The Magums to mechanical and the sponges do the bacterial. The Magnums aren't cheap but they last forever.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast