ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for cheap alteratives to AquaClear Filters...

Registered Member

Default Re: Looking for cheap alteratives to AquaClear Filters...

You can use Hydro-sponge V's (course foam), stacked with a cheap powerhead. Works just as well as an aquaclear. Ok, not as great as an aquaclear, but good water movement with subsequent mechanical (sponges get gross) and biological.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Al, I use Magnum 250's along with my sponges. The Magums to mechanical and the sponges do the bacterial. The Magnums aren't cheap but they last forever.
    Problem is Liz they are no longer made. I looked for a friend at the normal ordering places like Foster/Smith, That pet place and a few more I found none. I did not try Amazon however. That new filter that has replaced it is god awful monster of an oversized power head.

They've come out with a new one that goes inside the tank. I haven't tried it yet but my friends seem to be mostly pleased with it. It uses the same micron filters as the old 250. http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...ng-Filter.aspx
    Mama Bear

I commonly see AquaClears at the fish auctions, and I just won one as a door prize at the PVAS meeting.

Homesteader Kingdom Come Discus's Avatar

I like the emperors, but some disadvantages like you have to turn them off if you are going to do even a medium water change. But they last forever and when they get noisy a impeller change usually takes care of it. They aren't to expensive either.
    Kraig

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    They've come out with a new one that goes inside the tank. I haven't tried it yet but my friends seem to be mostly pleased with it. It uses the same micron filters as the old 250. http://www.marineland.com/Products/a...ng-Filter.aspx
    I like what I read about these. Amazon has these for $39.99. They are rated for up to a 97 gallon tank. Filters 290 gallon of water per hour.
    Like Al, I use aquaclear HOB's. i usually buy a couple of motors and buy a used AC on Ebay and keep it for parts if I get it cheap.
    Bud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12