AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quiet single air pump

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Quiet single air pump

Haven't bought an air pump in many years now. Any new ones out there that are very quiet at a good price point? I just need it to run one air stone for my aging barrel, so please don't recommend a large diaphragm pump from Jehmco or something.

Looking at something under $30-$40

TIA

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Default Re: Quiet single air pump

Rick when I first got back into fish keeping a couple years ago I went through several pumps. All were noisy and left a lot to be desired. That was until I stumbled across this pump.

This is by far quieter than any I have used and love the big adjustment knob. I'm a huge advocate of these pumps through personal experience.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002T...ofarm+air+pump

Real Name
    Ricardo

Bam, that may be a winner. Checks all my boxes. I'll wait for a few more suggestions but if I get none I'll order this week

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Bam, that may be a winner. Checks all my boxes. I'll wait for a few more suggestions but if I get none I'll order this week
    Great thing about Amazon could always run it then return if now satisfactory

Real Name
    Phil

Rick,

I've been a big fan of the Whisper AP150 for many years and easily have half a dozen laying around. May be overkill for most of my applications but they are quiet as ever. never an issue, sit nice and flat and level...

I got so sick of the 4 legged prong ones that always seem to wiggle or have a buzz or the output is like my 2 year old blowing in a straw...

For $30 I'd take these all day until someone proves to me otherwise..

https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26075-W...=whisper+ap150

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Rick,

I've been a big fan of the Whisper AP150 for many years and easily have half a dozen laying around. May be overkill for most of my applications but they are quiet as ever. never an issue, sit nice and flat and level...

I got so sick of the 4 legged prong ones that always seem to wiggle or have a buzz or the output is like my 2 year old blowing in a straw...

thanks for the secondary option Phil. If you have so many lying around, shoot me one, haha

I don't actually need anything from Amazon currently, so I'm looking through Amazon to try to make the minimum for free shipping, lol. I may just buy recessed lighting from there.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I was all ready to queue up a GET A LINEAR AIR PUMP post then I read you only had one airstone to power and got disappointed.

For small applications before I got my Linear pump I used single whisper pumps and never had any complaints about them. I think I got rid of all mine when I downsized or else I'd send you one. I used the blue thunderdome looking ones Phil referenced above with 4 legs. That AP150 may be the ticket though. I used to have an ancient little single pump, clearly from the early 90s worked like a CHARM, was the quietest pump I had ever run (before Linear). Got to a point where I had to flip it upside down and put something heavy on top of it while running to keep it quiet but man it rivaled my Linear air pump in sound. They don't make them like that anymore. I go in fully knowing those little single pumps are only good for a handful of years.

You ALWAYS need something from Amazon Don't have Prime?
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Rick when I first got back into fish keeping a couple years ago I went through several pumps. All were noisy and left a lot to be desired. That was until I stumbled across this pump.

This is by far quieter than any I have used and love the big adjustment knob. I'm a huge advocate of these pumps through personal experience.

I just ordered that same one for my 2nd aging barrel a few weeks ago and it is by far the quietest one in the house. Love the fact that you can adjust the flow as well. Did a lot of research on the web and this kept popping up. Had never heard of it before but it is a great pump and the price is better than anything you can find at the LFS. I second the recommendation on this one.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I was all ready to queue up a GET A LINEAR AIR PUMP post then I read you only had one airstone to power and got disappointed.

For small applications before I got my Linear pump I used single whisper pumps and never had any complaints about them. I think I got rid of all mine when I downsized or else I'd send you one. I used the blue thunderdome looking ones Phil referenced above with 4 legs. That AP150 may be the ticket though. I used to have an ancient little single pump, clearly from the early 90s worked like a CHARM, was the quietest pump I had ever run (before Linear). Got to a point where I had to flip it upside down and put something heavy on top of it while running to keep it quiet but man it rivaled my Linear air pump in sound. They don't make them like that anymore. I go in fully knowing those little single pumps are only good for a handful of years.

You ALWAYS need something from Amazon Don't have Prime?
    I quit with prime after some hack and Amazon didn't do right by my wife and I. With that said, I still order from them when I have to. I find it more reliable than ebay.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    I just ordered that same one for my 2nd aging barrel a few weeks ago and it is by far the quietest one in the house. Love the fact that you can adjust the flow as well. Did a lot of research on the web and this kept popping up. Had never heard of it before but it is a great pump and the price is better than anything you can find at the LFS. I second the recommendation on this one.
    looks like the ticket. It HAS to be quieter than the one I currently have! I can literally hear it from over 40ft away in my room when it is in the living room. I have it wrapped in something and it still makes a lot of noise.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Rick,

I use one of these from when they were Tetra Deep Water. Going on easy 10+ never have had to change a diaphragm. In fact I just broke it out again after one of the Whisper 100 "thunder Dooms" broke a diaphragm, it was all of 4-5 yrs old. So I may fix it the kit is 16+ shipping which will be half the cost I bought it for So out came the ol'reliable Tetra Deep Water again. Seems overkill for the 20gal. tank hydro4 sponge but I like overkill The bubbles make more noise than the pump and if you're going in a deep aging barrel these are made for that.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post

I forgot to update this thread. I got this pump and love it. My wife thanks you like you wouldn't imagine

Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I forgot to update this thread. I got this pump and love it. My wife thanks you like you wouldn't imagine
    Hey good to hear. I was really surprised at how quiet the pump is and especially for the price. I recently just started a planted community tank for my son and bought another one