ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: wild discus food

Registered Member

Default wild discus food

Hello! some of my wild never get used to flakes or granules. They eat any kind of freeze dried foods, but spit the granules out. Any sugestions of how to feed them? they eat krill, daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp. should I make some gelatine based food?

Thank you!

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: wild discus food

You can try this Seafood Mix...I just made a batch but with any new foods it takes time.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...an+seafood+mix

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by andre senna View Post
    Hello! some of my wild never get used to flakes or granules. They eat any kind of freeze dried foods, but spit the granules out. Any sugestions of how to feed them? they eat krill, daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp. should I make some gelatine based food?

Thank you!
    Honestly, I would not worry that they won't eat flakes or pellets. If they are eating Krill, bloodworms and brine shrimp they are getting good nutrition. Krill is often a main ingredient in high end commercial foods. Its high in protein and super high in important fats. Maybe try rounding out their diet with a few more dried foods..(stay away from tubifex) and if you want another alternative, you can try shaving frozen beefheart, shrimp or salmon. Wilds generally like food with texture to it, flakes usually go mush too soon and pellets are either too hard or get too soft too fast (generally speaking). You can also usually easily feed them live red wigglers...aka compost worms (Eisenia fetida) which is an excellent and nutritious food.

Hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thank you ! this food seems to be very good. but it is better in bb tanks, with water chenges everyday, am I right ?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Honestly, I would not worry that they won't eat flakes or pellets. If they are eating Krill, bloodworms and brine shrimp they are getting good nutrition. Krill is often a main ingredient in high end commercial foods. Its high in protein and super high in important fats. Maybe try rounding out their diet with a few more dried foods..(stay away from tubifex) and if you want another alternative, you can try shaving frozen beefheart, shrimp or salmon. Wilds generally like food with texture to it, flakes usually go mush too soon and pellets are either too hard or get too soft too fast (generally speaking). You can also usually easily feed them live red wigglers...aka compost worms (Eisenia fetida) which is an excellent and nutritious food.

Hth,
    al
    Thanks! some of my fishes will eat any kind of foods, but some really do not like the texture of pellets. they spit it out right away. Problematic kids !