36 73.47%
  • Wilds

32 65.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestics...Wilds - Which do You Love

Default Re: Domestics...Wilds - Which do You Love

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I picked both since I planned to cross wild to domestic. I'm not big fan of candy looking discus.
    Okay you guys! I have to defend my domestics! I love your wilds, they are beautiful-wildly beautiful and what first intrigued me 30 years ago when I worked in a pet store as a kid- but my domestics are too!

I finally have my very own after all these years and I am amazed of what the hard working breeders like Forrest have done. The colors and patterns in the various strains are amazing. Through all this breeding they are healthy and strong and forgiving of the higher ph levels. I come home and can see my tank from most rooms of the house and they just pop. They are mesmerizing and I love them...

For what my newbie vote is worth...someone had to defend them!

Registered Member

[ATTACH]103239[/Aimage.jpgimage.jpg

Born to be wild. I think it is inherently cool that the fish come from the wild streams and backwaters of the Amazon area. Not a fan of the solid color lollipop look. These pics don't begin to show the nice colors these guys have. I have a video that does for some reason, but I can't figure out how to post it. I've had these guys for six months. Still tweaking the whole setup, but discus fish wise, I'm all good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by William1; 10-27-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Okay you guys! I have to defend my domestics! I love your wilds, they are beautiful-wildly beautiful and what first intrigued me 30 years ago when I worked in a pet store as a kid- but my domestics are too!

I finally have my very own after all these years and I am amazed of what the hard working breeders like Forrest have done. The colors and patterns in the various strains are amazing. Through all this breeding they are healthy and strong and forgiving of the higher ph levels. I come home and can see my tank from most rooms of the house and they just pop. They are mesmerizing and I love them...

Jenene, if you look at the poll results I would say domestics are holding their own rather well.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Jenene, if you look at the poll results I would say domestics are holding their own rather well.
    Pat
    Ha! I saw that AFTER my mini rant! Just received my Eruption Leopard and my Golden Checkerboard (they are acclimating in the QT as I write this) so I am happy happy happy!

Nicely timed poll and I love seeing everyone's pictures and opinions! Thank you all for sharing!

Real Name
    Pat

Hehe, here's a couple pictures of my domestics

DSC_0419

DSC_0415

Hehe, here's a couple pictures of my domestics

DSC_0419

DSC_0415
    They are gorgeous Pat! They look hand painted!
    By the way your quote on the bottom is my favorite and when I first joined the forum it really hit home. All you have to do is watch them. If they act weird test and change more water, change more water and test! Just listen to them... Thanks for that! It taught me to relax a bit, stop worrying so much and just enjoy them. Pricelss.

I'm not even bashing the domestic discus, I just stated I'm not into them so no need to defend it. In fact most of my fish are domestic (Giant Flora, Snakeskin, Heckel Cross, Altum Flora, and Nhamunda Blue cross) Candy looking means solid coloration like yellow, pink, orange, and red.

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I'm not even bashing the domestic discus, I just stated I'm not into them so no need to defend it. In fact most of my fish are domestic (Giant Flora, Snakeskin, Heckel Cross, Altum Flora, and Nhamunda Blue cross) Candy looking means solid coloration like yellow, pink, orange, and red.
    I get it, this was all meant to be light hearted. I love All Discus. No offense taken or meant.

Real Name
    Pat

They are gorgeous Pat! They look hand painted!
    By the way your quote on the bottom is my favorite and when I first joined the forum it really hit home. All you have to do is watch them. If they act weird test and change more water, change more water and test! Just listen to them... Thanks for that! It taught me to relax a bit, stop worrying so much and just enjoy them. Priceless.
    Thanks Jenene and glad you like my quote. It is actually mine based on observation.
    Pat

The best of both worlds, Curipera cross

image.jpeg
    Last edited by alcastro; 10-27-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Registered Member

Hi alcastro - still learning here. What exactly is a Curipera cross? What does that mean?

A Curipera is a brown red with some striations around head area, We don't know the other half of the cross.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by William1 View Post
    Hi alcastro - still learning here. What exactly is a Curipera cross? What does that mean?
    It's a cross from a wild Cuapao or Curipera with some Domestic discus, depends with what the wild was crossed with it will differ from other like crosses.

Registered Member

Well, as many of you know I have ventured to the domestic side a time or two but I have consistently kept wilds for my entire time on Simply. Recent events with my dad's health had me re-home all my wilds, however a couple weeks ago I acquired a group of six domestic/wild crosses. Now these fish are third generation from wild parents but I an seeing wild traits which is super cool.

First is the amazing halo on the suspected females which even includes the blue cast within the halo when the halo is dark. I have mainly seen the blue cast with the wild Cuipeua even thru some domestic strains will develop a blue cast. The other observation is the use of reverse bars. That I was not expecting. As I raise this group out I will be definitely looking for other indicators of their wild heritage.
    Pat
    Hi Pat,

Totally agree with you. I recently acquire this fish: a Heckel cross. I usually like only wild, but this new wild cross is acceptable for me.

PS: Photo is day one in tank. The fish comes with bad health, need to fatten up a lot!

2Z0A0991_sd.jpg
    2Z0A0865.jpg
    Last edited by khooyang; 10-28-2016 at 03:19 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Johnson

I have heckel cross turquoise and Altums and agree with the above that lollipop coloured fish leave me cold. Honestly, if I was offered those fish for free, I'd turn them down. Hate the god awful things.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast