ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75 gal Simple Grow Out

Registered Member

Default Re: 75 gal Simple Grow Out

Late night, low light pics.
    IMG_2770.jpgIMG_2758.jpg

Nice pics.. My phone takes terrible low light pics. Wish it was better cuz I can't really capture the pattern and color.

Registered Member

Oh man - I took like 25 pics and these were the only acceptable ones... lol. iPhone 6 is what I used.

Thanks though, Ryan. I've been admiring your journal for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Andrew View Post
    Oh man - I took like 25 pics and these were the only acceptable ones... lol. iPhone 6 is what I used.

Thanks though, Ryan. I've been admiring your journal for a while.
    Thanks Andrew is that the turq? It looks very similar to the striated cobalts I've been seeing lately. Love the pattern.

Registered Member

Yes, that's one of 3 turqs. This one is my fave in the tank. Fantastic shape. I'm thinking it will be nearly solid by the time it's mature.

Yes, that's one of 3 turqs. This one is my fave in the tank. Fantastic shape. I'm thinking it will be nearly solid by the time it's mature.
    Does have great shape. I always thought my turq looked a little funky. It's those high fins when they are younger. He is definitely rounding out but I notice he is much narrower than the others.

I started to worry but that's when Kenny told me that the taller finned strains often have a narrower body

Registered Member

Quick little photo update. I feel like they have grown already after just a little over 2 weeks in the tank. The F2 wilds are REALLY growing on me. One of them is still a bit shy but the rest are settling in. I tried switching to Aqua-Glo lights, but decided to go back to the Life-Glo.

IMG_2797.jpgIMG_2809.jpgIMG_2813.jpgIMG_2816.jpg

Just a quick update and a question:

8 days in the tank. 50-70% water change per day (I've never changed so much water in my life!). But my setup has worked brilliantly. It's super easy and hassle-free.

All fish are eating FDBW and BH mix.

While the lights are out they are relaxed and swim throughout the water column. When I turn the lights on they are definitely stressed, often hiding. I have to remind myself that these fish are only a few generations from being crossed to wild stock - so I'm thinking this may explain their natural response to a potential threat - ME! Overall, the fish are healthy. Minimal/no stress bars showing, only one fish clamps fins occasionally.

I'm switching from a Hagen Life-glo T8 (980 lumens I think) to an aqua-glo T8 (270 lumens) just to reduce the intensity of light. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I would have assumed they would settle in a bit better with the lights on by now, but it's taking some time. I use a night light and only run one of two bulbs in the day and evening while I'm admiring, feeding and cleaning. I put 2 breeding cones in for structure/comfort. Plus I've planted a chair in front of the tank and I spend a good hour looking at them every day. I've also tried some hand feeding with mixed results. They are warming up to me slowly, however.

Any other tips to help these fish settle? I was hoping to keep the tank simple, but I will consider driftwood for some cover if it will help. In the meantime I'll just keep up my routine and let them adjust.
    Quick little photo update. I feel like they have grown already after just a little over 2 weeks in the tank. The F2 wilds are REALLY growing on me. One of them is still a bit shy but the rest are settling in. I tried switching to Aqua-Glo lights, but decided to go back to the Life-Glo.

IMG_2797.jpgIMG_2809.jpgIMG_2813.jpgIMG_2816.jpg
    I know exactly what you mean. I just got a small alenquer cross from Kenny and love this fish. Dying to see its pattern and color develop.

Fish are looking great

Registered Member

2 month update:

Nice growth so far, some more than others. Until 2 days ago they remained skittish every time I approached the tank. I would have to wait a while before they felt comfortable to come out of hiding and eat. So I added PFS and it seems to have made a HUGE difference. They are much more relaxed. Perhaps this "simple" grow-out will also get some driftwood in order to make them even more comfortable. At the end of the day I want them less stressed, and I want to be able to enjoy watching them swim freely.

IMG_3003.jpgIMG_3005.jpgIMG_3010.jpgIMG_3016.jpgIMG_3019.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Looking really nice! How old are they now ?

Registered Member

Good question: They were around 3.5-4.5 inches when I got them so I'm going to guess they are around 7-8 months old now. I could be off by a month but probably not more than that. The scorpion is a bit older.

Registered Member

Little photo update. Oh, and since adding the sand I've noticed detritus worms making their way up the glass. I've read up on them a bit, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had any interesting experiences with them.

The pic with the pair of turqs gives me hope that they might "hook up".

IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpgIMG_3101.jpgIMG_3088.jpgIMG_3102.jpg

Registered Member

Update:

Not a lot to report. January was busy so I found myself doing 60-70% water changes 3 out of every 5 days on average. No problem with the fish, other than a bit of nerves still. I saw 2 discus scratching on the cones 3 days ago, so I did 70% WCs each day since and the problem is gone. Sometimes I see these little dead flies on the inside of my tank under the light. Not sure what they are.

F2 Wild
    IMG_3138.jpg

Snow Leopard
    IMG_3127.jpg

Wattley Turq
    IMG_3133.jpg

Wattley Turq - more red in this one
    IMG_3125.jpg

Great job. They are looking very nice

Registered Member

Quick little video update.
    https://youtu.be/AV065Kgrc0A
    Last edited by Doc Andrew; 04-11-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast