Default Re: 75 gal Simple Grow Out

Nice group ! Any breeding activity ?

Love those snow leopards

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DatDiscusDude View Post
    Nice group ! Any breeding activity ?
    Absolutely nothing yet! Unless it's going on when I'm not around. They still like to warm up to me when I'm hanging around. Their first inclination is to head to the corner of the tank when I walk past - then they slowly come out and feed/swim. But I haven't seen any twitching or booty shaking yet. I have a few confused Stendkers in an upstairs tank though. They've been showing off for each other for weeks now. Still no eggs though.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Love those snow leopards
    Yes, those two are pretty incredible. They are the 2nd and 3rd largest fish in the tank. Interesting thing about those are that I'm told they are a recessive genotype. So, if they pair with a wild or turq you will get all wilds or all turqs (only 1 phenotype). However, if the two leopards pair up you will get multiple phenotypes - turqs, ghosts and wilds (I think).

I picked up a 20 gal tank at the Petco $1 per gallon sale last week. So, I'll we watching and waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Andrew View Post
    Yes, those two are pretty incredible. They are the 2nd and 3rd largest fish in the tank. Interesting thing about those are that I'm told they are a recessive genotype. So, if they pair with a wild or turq you will get all wilds or all turqs (only 1 phenotype). However, if the two leopards pair up you will get multiple phenotypes - turqs, ghosts and wilds (I think).

I picked up a 20 gal tank at the Petco $1 per gallon sale last week. So, I'll we watching and waiting!
    Sounds like you have breeding aspirations. I've got two pairs and of course they both happen to be pb with non pb. Go figure. Don't really plan on breeding at the moment anyhow so it is what it is. Maybe one day but I would like to do a fry or small juvie growout first anyhow

Registered Member

Yes, breeding is on my list of things to accomplish. I'm realistic about it though - family and job come first. But who knows - maybe I can figure out how to grow raise small groups of good quality fish. But first I need some hook-ups!

Registered Member

IMG_3348.jpg

These are the Stendkers I mentioned. A blue SS and a flachen x SS. They are all talk and no action though. I think there is a chance they are both females. I haven't seen the tubes drop, but the tips do look different.

IMG_3348.jpg

These are the Stendkers I mentioned. A blue SS and a flachen x SS. They are all talk and no action though. I think there is a chance they are both females. I haven't seen the tubes drop, but the tips do look different.
    Quite possible. Nice looking fish. The flachen looks very much like my cobalt. I actually think it may have been you that commented on one of my posts about that. Now that I've had my fish for a year the difference in the appearance of the males and females is very distinct. The females have the rounded back to the dorsal like those two while the males are very pointed with the beginnings of a trailer
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Update:

One of my snow leopards hasn't been eating too much in the past 5 days. He still swims with the group and shows no signs of distress or illness, but when I ring the dinner bell he hangs back and watches the others eat. I noticed a translucent stool half excreted the other night so I decided to give him/her an epsom salt bath to see if he just needed to clear his bowels. Sometimes the stools look like that due to the FDBW casings. Temperature has also been raised to 88 degrees, thinking of going to 90 degrees. All other fish are acting totally normal.

Water changes are 50% every other day at this point, with no exception. Water is aged 48 hrs and Seachem Safe is used with changes. I'm also using Purigen in the filter now - which seems to be working. I haven't even checked water parameters (I never d0), but I likely should.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding the poop I'd be thrilled to get some recommendations. I didn't want to react and dose the tank too quickly.

And here is a pic of my largest Turq - 6.5 inches currently, around a year old. Thanks for looking.

touched up turq.jpg

Registered Member

Everything seems to be find now with the snow leopard.

Last night I came downstairs and caught a glimpse of some mating behaviour. Both large turqs were cleaning cones and one snow leopard was joining in whilst shaking it's booty. Looks like things are going to get interesting!

Really big WC today, scorpion freaked out and dashed into something. Small cut over his right eye. I'll monitor for now.

Registered Member

The pattern is really starting to break up on this turq. Here's hoping he/she goes nearly solid. I'm really into that cobalt look lately. Nothing else new to report. The F2 wilds are growing much slower, as well as one of the turqs. I see bits and pieces of mating behaviour but nothing consistent and no obvious pairing.
    IMG_3512.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Andrew; 06-04-2017 at 09:50 PM.

The pattern is really starting to break up on this turq. Here's hoping he/she goes nearly solid. I'm really into that cobalt look lately. Nothing else new to report. The F2 wilds are growing much slower, as well as one of the turqs. I see bits and pieces of mating behaviour but nothing consistent and no obvious pairing.
    IMG_3512.jpg
    Very interesting with that turq. Looking nice.

Registered Member

Thanks, Ryan. I'll have to pop over to your thread to see how your sapphire and alenquer are coming along.

Thanks, Ryan. I'll have to pop over to your thread to see how your sapphire and alenquer are coming along.
    You're doing a great job man.

Those two of mine are slow growers but shaping up nicely

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast