ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 75 gal Simple Grow Out

Registered Member

Default Re: 75 gal Simple Grow Out

I use an 8 foot light strip wrapped around the rim of my 55 gallon tank. the lights face inward rather than down and it seems to help with the stress levels. I am also able to use different colors (light blue or even yellow) along with the ability to dim them. Im not an experienced discus keeper but aquariums have been a hobby for years. Just a suggestion not sure what anyone thinks.

Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. I had considered getting an LED strip in the past, but didn't know if it would suffice. What brand do you use?

Since I no longer run my 24/7 on 24/7 mode I added a blue strip to the bottom of my light. That way I can run a custom color and also have a night light without having to grab for my remote. I run both on wemo outlet timers and works out great.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member

Long overdue update:

Everything is hunky dory, really. Two Turks and the Snow Loeps are pretty much whoppers. They may grow a little bit more but I expect hem to mostly thicken up. The wilds are slower growing but still progressing. My scorpion was stunted to begin with and isn't doing much. He/she has become the target of bullying and just isn't thriving. Lots of aggression at this stage. Oh, and I switched back to my LED light on the 75 gal.

In the meantime I set up a heavy duty meta rack for a 60 gal and a 20 gal. I'm going to isolate some Stendker a that I have upstairs, and I just ordered 4 fish from Kenny - 2 Sapphire Ruby and 2 tiger/carnation turqs. I'll grow those out and keep with a few groups of non-BP fish in hopes that I might be able to get some breeding going.

IMG_3836.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Andrew View Post
    Long overdue update:

Everything is hunky dory, really. Two Turks and the Snow Loeps are pretty much whoppers. They may grow a little bit more but I expect hem to mostly thicken up. The wilds are slower growing but still progressing. My scorpion was stunted to begin with and isn't doing much. He/she has become the target of bullying and just isn't thriving. Lots of aggression at this stage. Oh, and I switched back to my LED light on the 75 gal.

In the meantime I set up a heavy duty meta rack for a 60 gal and a 20 gal. I'm going to isolate some Stendker a that I have upstairs, and I just ordered 4 fish from Kenny - 2 Sapphire Ruby and 2 tiger/carnation turqs. I'll grow those out and keep with a few groups of non-BP fish in hopes that I might be able to get some breeding going.

IMG_3836.jpg
    Exciting stuff. Looks like you too have the discus bug. Look forward to seeing what's next. My nine are all from Kenny and look forward to more

Registered Member

Does anyone know how to post pics from your phone now? It appears the forum has been upgraded so that I can't upload photos in a reply anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Andrew View Post
    Does anyone know how to post pics from your phone now? It appears the forum has been upgraded so that I can't upload photos in a reply anymore.
    I always use my phone. The issue I always had was photo size which prevented upload. I use an app on my phone called photo resized hd to resize photos

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    I always use my phone. The issue I always had was photo size which prevented upload. I use an app on my phone called photo resized hd to resize photos
    It's weird - I can't see the icon for photo upload when I post now. It used to be there.

Registered Member

Figured it out - I had to use the "full site" option.

Anyways - here are a few pics.
    IMG_4121.jpg
    Below are my new sapphire rubies, blue carnations and tiger/carnation turq juvies from Kenny. All were 3-4.5 inches a couple of weeks ago, but they are already growing. One tiger turq developed bloat and white poo today so I hospitalized him and have administered metro with higher temp. Fingers crossed. I gave an Epsom salt bath too. These fish were all in a QT. I don't plan on mixing any.
    IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4115.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Andrew; 09-12-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Real Name
    Mike

Don't know that a bath of epsom is going to do anything for you. I use it in the tank as an additive when I suspect bloat. It won't hurt them in the regular tank for a period of time. It will be removed with water changes. You want it to do its work which could be hours/days.

Registered Member

I was hoping the magnesium would increase gut motility so the poop would move out quicker. I don't think it made a difference. I'll just continue with Metro treatment. The fish seems about the same. I was on top of it instantly so I hope I got to it in time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234