AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: why a pleco

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martin Welters

Default why a pleco

My bb tank has no algae so far, but some bacterial slime on the glass. Would this be something a pleco eat, or is there another reason why some people have a pleco in their bb tanks?
    If it means that I don't have to clean the glass every week and don't have to worry about non eaten food, that would be very helpful.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: why a pleco

Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus spp) is a much better option over the common pleco.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 for ancistrus species. I have 3 in a 75 gal and clean my glass maybe once/twice a year. That's why a pleco!
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Here's the thing with this topic, if you have discus, you are more than likely doing frequent water changes. Furthermore, if you are doing frequent water changes, you can easily just wipe down the tank. It literally takes less than 1 minute, so why avoid it? I have always thought of plecos as a cool fish to keep with discus, however, when they get a taste for the slime coat, out they go.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Here's the thing with this topic, if you have discus, you are more than likely doing frequent water changes. Furthermore, if you are doing frequent water changes, you can easily just wipe down the tank. It literally takes less than 1 minute, so why avoid it? I have always thought of plecos as a cool fish to keep with discus, however, when they get a taste for the slime coat, out they go.
    Completely agree with Rick on his answer..
    Jorge Q

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    respectfully disagree with Ricardo on this one. Now yes with frequent water changes wiping down the sides are easy but for many of us, there are some really hard to reach and some impossible to reach sides to our tank. An ancistrus can eliminate that need. ive never had problems with my ancistrus. This is a topic we frequently disagree here on the this forum. I think if you keep your ancistrus well fed and they aren't searching for food to begin with, tey wont develop a taste for other things besides what you feed them. I keep mine nice and plump and i never have a problem.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Mervin

I also keep the bristle nose plecos with mine and never had an issue,but I had farlowella catfish that went after the discus.It left marks on them.