AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parents, need your feedback/advice please...

Real Name
    Ryan

Default Re: Parents, need your feedback/advice please...

I cant say much the wise members here haven't. But as a single dad to an almost 13yr old son, whos class is going to wash d.c. next spring i fully understand the apprehension. But lest we put ourselves as our kid/s for a sec & imagine the excitement & experience that we would have been giddy abt too at that age.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Hi Al,

Spring is here and what did you decide to do regarding your daughter's trip? I write this as my daughter is in flight with a small school group on her way to South Africa. No phones or internet, living in tents....it's going to be a very long six weeks for dad. Shoot, I should have sent her with stationery and stamps.

Craig

Hi Craig,
    I ended up letting her go and everything went off without a hitch. She had a great time and the band did very well. I lost some more hair, but seeing as I have so little already its not noticeable. There were a a few technical issues that I had to take up with the school. They wanted me to the give teachers going my credit card information so that if there was emergency like a hospital issue they could charge it? That to me was a a royal no -go. I'm not giving a total stranger my credit card info. for them to carry around in folder on the trip. I almost kept her home over it as it just really put me off. In this day and age theres enough Identity theft opportunities with an ill thought out procedure like this! I ended telling the school no way and when I did they came back and said it was optional and my choice. Thats after they told my daughter they needed it. That still irritates me and makes me wonder how many ignorant and careless parents actually provided it. I ended giving my insurance card which is really all they should have needed for a hospital emergency. I also told them I would have my phone on 24/7 and expected a call should anything happen.

Other than that it went well. I can't imagine 6 weeks ! I hope she has a great time Craig and all goes well. How old is she? Hows your hairline?

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-15-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hi Craig,
    I ended up letting her go and everything went off without a hitch. She had a great time and the band did very well. I lost some more hair, but seeing as I have so little already its not noticeable. There were a a few technical issues that I had to take up with the school. They wanted me to the give teachers going my credit card information so that if there was emergency like a hospital issue they could charge it? That to me was a a royal no -go. I'm not giving a total stranger my credit card info. for them to carry around in folder on the trip. I almost kept her home over it as it just really put me off. In this day and age theres enough Identity theft opportunities with an ill thought out procedure like this! I ended telling the school no way and when I did they came back and said it was optional and my choice. Thats after they told my daughter they needed it. That still irritates me and makes me wonder how many ignorant and careless parents actually provided it. I ended giving my insurance card which is really all they should have needed for a hospital emergency. I also told them I would have my phone on 24/7 and expected a call should anything happen.

Other than that it went well. I can't imagine 6 weeks ! I hope she has a great time Craig and all goes well. How old is she? Hows your hairline?

al
    Hey Al,

Didn't see this when you first posted it but I was in a similar boat when I son came home asking about their Spring trip. His school band/orchestra is going to Cleveland OH to play. I know it's a little different with a boy vs girl but in this darn age, it goes both ways. My son is only 14 but our family decided that it will be a good experience. We do have to fill out all the medical forms and a school nurse is traveling along. She is responsible for all the meds Luggage will be checked and chaperone only allowed by school staff. I am allowing my son to take his credit card but he should not need it. All meals are paid for with the exception of a day when they get to go on their own (as a group at the park) but the $20 is not given to them until the day of.

Did your school set up a remind notification for all communications?

Is she playing at the Kimmel Center?

Sounds like she will have a good tour of Philadelphia.

BTW. Verify with the school that only school staff is doing the chaperone. I am heading to Georgia Tech this Friday and will be a chaperone as a parent but had to do the background check with the organizer first.
    Last edited by DiscusOnly; 05-15-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Hi Al,

Very glad to hear that the band trip went well and we can still see that your blood pressure increases just writing about the credit card issue. Both of my kids can be mature, so I probably would have given them the credit card and the school the insurance card. Sorry about the additional hair loss, I still have most of mine, but it gets grayer by the year. Here is how I keep my hair, when I have an unauthorized charge on my card, it's nothing more than calling the card company and saying I didn't authorize that purchase, and the charge is gone. That easy and I get to keep all of my hair. Now a SS number, that's very different.

Regarding my daughter, she is a junior in college and with a very small group working near Johannesburg. No phones but occasional wifi with sporadic pictures through Facebook. I don't know if the jungle is more dangerous than Philadelphia, but here is what happened to her a few days ago with Jessica the hippo;

I really need to write her and tell her to keep her eyes on those big teeth ; Working with the local community.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Hi Al,

Very glad to hear that the band trip went well and we can still see that your blood pressure increases just writing about the credit card issue. Both of my kids can be mature, so I probably would have given them the credit card and the school the insurance card. Sorry about the additional hair loss, I still have most of mine, but it gets grayer by the year. Here is how I keep my hair, when I have an unauthorized charge on my card, it's nothing more than calling the card company and saying I didn't authorize that purchase, and the charge is gone. That easy and I get to keep all of my hair. Now a SS number, that's very different.

Regarding my daughter, she is a junior in college and with a very small group working near Johannesburg. No phones but occasional wifi with sporadic pictures through Facebook. I don't know if the jungle is more dangerous than Philadelphia, but here is what happened to her a few days ago with Jessica the hippo;

I really need to write her and tell her to keep her eyes on those big teeth ; Working with the local community.

Very cool Craig! It looks like she is making memories she will never forget!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12