Thread: My 10 Discus arrived

Default Re: My 10 Discus arrived

Looking really nice. I really like the striated cobalts I am seeing now
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Ryan, I'm extremely pleased with these five new fish, all were near 6" or larger, nice shape & color imo. Being my second order from Wattley's I'm giving Gabe a definite two thumbs up. I have no problem recommending him.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Received my 15 new fish from Wattley's yesterday, this morning all appear calm and seem to be acclimating well. I will have pics soon as my daughter can take them.

Eight ~5" Raffesia
    Four ~5" Cobalts
    Three ~ 5" Blue Scorpion SS. Sold as Scorpion Snakeskins but look more like Cobalt SS to me, waiting for them to color up to see what they really look like.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

My Casaurina root driftwood 24"x10"x19":

This is the same driftwood I had since I started this journal. The problem I've had is that the wood has hollow sections which are inaccessible for cleaning, requiring soaking in concentrated salt solution to clean.

Pond Shield epoxy: I've been working on my driftwood the past two weeks, applied several coats of 'Pond Shield' which is an aquarium safe epoxy. The epoxy is clear and has really brought out the wood grains in the driftwood, which looks nice. Wood is heavier now also. The driftwood is now waterproof/preserved. Surface is glassy-smooth and easier to clean.

Silicone: I'm going to fill in/seal off the hollow sections of the wood with aquarium safe silicone. But I'm first looking for something I can put or pour in to fill the hollow spaces - the epoxy was too liquid and leaked out of various holes, the silicone is too solid and won't reach very far into the various crevices.

I hope to have the driftwood ready to go back in my 180gal in the next few weeks.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 09-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Here are some pics of my 15 new fish, been in the tank for 6 days and all appear to be healthy.

All are between 5"-5.5"
    8 Rafflesia
    4 Cobalt
    3 Blue Scorpion (look like Cobalt SS. I think.)

I like this group, nice color contrast imo. Blues are still my favorite though

1Raff & Cobalt.JPG2Raff & Cobalt.JPGCobalt SS.JPGFull Tank Shot.JPG
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 09-13-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

My driftwood coated with Pond Shield and crevices filled with Dap silicone. Now waiting for it to fully cure, should be ready to go back in tank in another 5-6 days.
    Cured Driftwood.JPG
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 09-13-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Looking good Kenny. I remember you mentioning sealing the drift wood some time ago. You are now my guinea pig to see if it is better sealed..keep us posted. The fish look great!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Looking good Kenny. I remember you mentioning sealing the drift wood some time ago. You are now my guinea pig to see if it is better sealed..keep us posted. The fish look great!
    Thanks Jenene,

I like this group, no flared gills and they're all healthy and look good. The wood looks really nice, my wife liked it and asked me to Pond Shield another piece she is using as a table top decoration. Can't wait to get it back in there.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Thanks Jenene,

I like this group, no flared gills and they're all healthy and look good. The wood looks really nice, my wife liked it and asked me to Pond Shield another piece she is using as a table top decoration. Can't wait to get it back in there.
    So good to hear finally...was really sorry to hear about the last group.

That wood has always been beautiful in your tank. I really hope the pond shield works and you get the final result you have been looking for. It's been a long haul for you. Keep us posted on the progress of the new ones and we need pics of the wood back in place please. I think I can safely speak for everyone who has been following you on this.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

So good to hear finally...was really sorry to hear about the last group.

That wood has always been beautiful in your tank. I really hope the pond shield works and you get the final result you have been looking for. It's been a long haul for you. Keep us posted on the progress of the new ones and we need pics of the wood back in place please. I think I can safely speak for everyone who has been following you on this.
    Hi Jenene:

Hopefully it might help others looking to seal & 'preserve' their driftwood. The manual petrification process appeared more involved and would have left the wood rock-hard posing an injury risk. This epoxy adheres and seals and the cured finish is very fish friendly. I also believe the buildup on the wood (algae, etc) will be more manageable now. I'll keep the thread posted with any updates.

Note: some posts up I wrote that I was going to apply a product called PC-Petrifier as a first step, then Pond Shield. I did not apply PC-Petrifier. The reason being that after sterilizing the driftwood with bleach then drying for two weeks, the wood appeared ready for the Pond Shield application. Another reason is because I could not find any information regarding chemical residue left behind after curing. Whereas I know the Dap silicone is aquarium safe after curing and Pond Shield is stated to be safe even in it's liquid state.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 09-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Here's a few more pics of my 15 new fish taken today. My driftwood isn't quite ready to put back in yet. The silicone still giving off a distinct smell, used 4 tubes so it's a lot that needs to cure. I'm keeping it in my garage which is hot & humid to speed the curing process. Maybe another week hopefully.

Raff & Cobalt 24-9-17.jpg
    Cobalt 24-9-17.jpg
    Group 24-9-17.jpg

They look beautiful Kenny. It will be really fun to see them all grow and back in with the drift wood. I am really watching to see how your sealing works. Not sure if I would try it now since I have some nice java moss growing. You are right though the deterioration of it certainly does effect water quality.

Good move waiting longer on that silicone to dry. I imagine it will take awhile in the deeper spots to cure.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

They look beautiful Kenny. It will be really fun to see them all grow and back in with the drift wood. I am really watching to see how your sealing works. Not sure if I would try it now since I have some nice java moss growing. You are right though the deterioration of it certainly does effect water quality.

Good move waiting longer on that silicone to dry. I imagine it will take awhile in the deeper spots to cure.
    Thanks Jenene,

I like these ones better than my previous ones, I think because 15 is the most I've had at once and it suits the tank better imo. Though I have had a couple of standouts in my previous groups, doesn't seem possible for me to get all 'spectacular' individuals in one group. I am satisfied with this group though.

The seven Discus I had immediately before these new ones; I was able to sell 3 and give away 4 to an experienced Discus keeper who lives here in Cayman. She has several Discus planted tanks, including a 290gal which these went into. All fish from my previous groups I had to give away.

I'll keep the post updated

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Compliments on the great looking fish and the driftwood as well. I too will be watching closely as in about a year or so will be adding wood (oak) to my tank. Been wondering if doing it "au naturel" or sealing it. Over here they use a clear varnish (brand name here Plastivel) that even comes in a spray can. Ciao and keep us posted

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Compliments on the great looking fish and the driftwood as well. I too will be watching closely as in about a year or so will be adding wood (oak) to my tank. Been wondering if doing it "au naturel" or sealing it. Over here they use a clear varnish (brand name here Plastivel) that even comes in a spray can. Ciao and keep us posted
    Thanks Paul, will do.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast