ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 10 Discus arrived

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: My 10 Discus arrived

Quote Originally Posted by nemo24 View Post
    Tank and discus with decor look Amazing.
    Hey Nemo, thanks. You were right I do like the Altum Floras, their pattern break is a nice addition to the group of mostly solid colors imo.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-28-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Cool sump set up. Do you like the wet/dry? I'm not a huge fan of bio balls

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Cool sump set up. Do you like the wet/dry? I'm not a huge fan of bio balls
    Good question. I was considering a large wet/dry. That one looks like the eshopps one.

I am about to start my first sump build. Decided against the wet/dry just because I wanted to add some water volume to my system as well as fluidized bed

Your tank looks great. Look forward to seeing your updates and how it progresses

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Good question. I was considering a large wet/dry. That one looks like the eshopps one.

I am about to start my first sump build. Decided against the wet/dry just because I wanted to add some water volume to my system as well as fluidized bed

Your tank looks great. Look forward to seeing your updates and how it progresses
    Ricardo and Ryan:

I wasn't sure what bio media was coming with my sump so purchased a 5 Liter bucket of Eheim Substrate Pro which I read was really good. I'm now considering replacing the bottom portion of the bio balls with the Eheim. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post

Hi Ryan,

This is my first sump. I read up some on the topic to try to prepare myself for setting mine up, but this one was different from the examples I'd read about. Mine has a running capacity of ~70% maximum water so as not to overflow the top when there is a power outage. At that level when I power off the pump the water in the sump rises to about 1/2" from the top.

I read that ideally a sump should be at least 25% of your aquarium volume. By that standard mine is small, but at least it's still larger than multi-canisters, and the compact design works well with my setup.

Kenny

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

love the tank and fish, cant wait to see them all settled in. i also spent forever dremmelling my wood, my hands felt all weird and vibratey after lol, it was def worth the effort cuz it looks very lovely and unique, one of a kind centrepiece for sure.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    love the tank and fish, cant wait to see them all settled in. i also spent forever dremmelling my wood, my hands felt all weird and vibratey after lol, it was def worth the effort cuz it looks very lovely and unique, one of a kind centrepiece for sure.
    Hi Kayla:

I had to do the dremmelling in stages; dremel then soak a few days and observe. I had the wood six weeks so I could take my time.

You have inspired me to find a better piece of wood. The Mopani is really small and one piece constantly grows a smelly fungus on it. After seeing yours I realized I need some height without taking away swimming area so I found this piece. It doesn't stand up on it's own but they are sending me some small pieces I can drill into it and maybe make some kind of feet. I would like it up off the surface like yours is so I can vacuum under it without dragging it around the tank. Here is a pic. Not as elegant as yours but kind of interesting. Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful tank and fish. Enjoy them! Driftwood.jpg

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    You have inspired me to find a better piece of wood. The Mopani is really small and one piece constantly grows a smelly fungus on it. After seeing yours I realized I need some height without taking away swimming area so I found this piece. It doesn't stand up on it's own but they are sending me some small pieces I can drill into it and maybe make some kind of feet. I would like it up off the surface like yours is so I can vacuum under it without dragging it around the tank. Here is a pic. Not as elegant as yours but kind of interesting. Thanks for posting the pics of your beautiful tank and fish. Enjoy them! Driftwood.jpg
    I think the piece is beautiful. I had to cut a hole in the foot of mine and silicone in another piece of wood to get mine to stand comfortably. I was thinking about how the wood would stand when I was cutting it, but the roots were so intertwined, plus I was standing in tidal water, made it difficult to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Ricardo and Ryan:

I wasn't sure what bio media was coming with my sump so purchased a 5 Liter bucket of Eheim Substrate Pro which I read was really good. I'm now considering replacing the bottom portion of the bio balls with the Eheim. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kenny
    I use the substrat pro in my eheim canister. No complaints. I feel it works well as my water is always crystal clear and params are always where they should be. I have a mix of substrat pro and matrix. That media will be going into my sump along with purigen and K1

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ricardo and Ryan:

Kenny
    The eheim media is good and far better than the bio balls. However, is your sump a trickle one or can be set up to be submerged?

I really like the Sera media and is used amongst reefers frequently now a days. It is called Siporax.

If you haven't already, take a look at my sump set up. It is in my signature

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    The eheim media is good and far better than the bio balls. However, is your sump a trickle one or can be set up to be submerged?

I really like the Sera media and is used amongst reefers frequently now a days. It is called Siporax.

If you haven't already, take a look at my sump set up. It is in my signature
    Hi Ricardo,

Mine is trickle so I will probably replace a portion of the bio balls with the Eheim media. So it would be a bottom layer of the Eheim media (submerged) and a top layer of bio balls at the top for the water trickle.

EDIT: nice overflow & sump, I've never seen that before.
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 10-29-2016 at 11:50 AM.

I think the piece is beautiful. I had to cut a hole in the foot of mine and silicone in another piece of wood to get mine to stand comfortably. I was thinking about how the wood would stand when I was cutting it, but the roots were so intertwined, plus I was standing in tidal water, made it difficult to accomplish.
    You are lucky you found such a beautiful piece on your own. I live on the edge of Lake Ontario but I am not sure I would want to put anything in my Discus tank that came out of there- even after boiling it. (-: You can't tell you added anything to help it stand up. It looks amazing. Hoping I can get mine to stand up without ruining the look of it.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    You are lucky you found such a beautiful piece on your own. I live on the edge of Lake Ontario but I am not sure I would want to put anything in my Discus tank that came out of there- even after boiling it. (-: You can't tell you added anything to help it stand up. It looks amazing. Hoping I can get mine to stand up without ruining the look of it.
    The root formations have been there for some years and I think the saltwater tides must have cured the wood somewhat as it's pretty solid for the most part. At least one other person had the same idea as me, there are previous cuttings there. I could have another look to see if there's anything worthwhile left. What size is your tank?

Real Name
    Filip

Great discus tank Kenny . Enjoy their growth and please keep us posted with progres pics regulary .

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast