ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My 10 Discus arrived

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: My 10 Discus arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Great discus tank Kenny . Enjoy their growth and please keep us posted with progres pics regulary .
    Thanks Filip,

They are getting settled, some are still not eating though. Hopefully they will all settle in a week or two. The three dominant ones showed their colors just a few hours after I unpacked them and ate right away (then I got an email from the breeder telling me not to feed them on the first day). The ones that ate right away are the supposed pair of blue scorpions and a white butterfly. A few more started eating the next day, but still waiting for four out of the bunch.

I'll update with photos after they're settled.

Kenny

Good afternoon,
    After seeing your post I went to view the website of Discus USA. All the fish look to be healthy. Before making a purchase from them, I wanted to make sure all your fish were still doing well.

Angelique'

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by angeliqu53@gmail.com View Post
    Good afternoon,
    After seeing your post I went to view the website of Discus USA. All the fish look to be healthy. Before making a purchase from them, I wanted to make sure all your fish were still doing well.

Angelique'
    Hi Angelique,

My two yellow checkerboards layed flat on the bottom of my tank as soon as I unpacked them. They hung on for some time but the second one died yesterday. David at DiscusUSA said the reason is because he packed for passenger air freight instead of a cargo flight, which my freight forwarder uses. He insisted he would credit these two to me. He actually contacted me to follow up and that's when I told him about it. I'm used to once merchandise passes an international border any warranty is void So that was decent of him and much appreciated. I'm ordering a 5" Blue Angel and a 5" Super Galaxy Turquoise, so I'll end up with 12 Discus total which is where I'd like the number to stay at.

The other eight fish all seem to be very hardy, as of today all are eating besides one.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Hi Angelique,

My two yellow checkerboards layed flat on the bottom of my tank as soon as I unpacked them...

Kenny
    Angelique:

After discussing my new order last night with David I realize that ammonia poisoning had something to do with my two Yellow Checkerboards dying. I mentioned that I saw feces in their bags and he explained the situation in more detail.

If you order from them make sure and let them know any details about type of shipping they'll be going on, and the duration of the journey before it reaches you, so he can pack and sedate the fish accordingly.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Picture Update:

My fish are very active and are begging me for food so I guess they're 'settled'. See a few new pics below. They seem to refuse to take good pictures and I've gotta be the worst photographer. I think I'll have my kids do the next ones...

by wood.JPG
    by wood2.JPG
    blue diamond.JPG
    by wood2.JPG
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 11-01-2016 at 09:20 AM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Hi All,

I have a question about Discus fin extension behavior. The fish I have now are all around 5" and I noticed they don't have their fins fully extended all the time, only sometimes. Note that there is very little bullying and the fish appear very hardy/healthy. When I had my previous batch of six 2.5" it seemed their fins were always fully extended unless they were being bullied or sick.

What is normal Discus behavior for fin extension/clamping? Do Discus fully extend their fins less as they get older? My current fish seem to go about their business usually with fins only partially extended (like 30%-40% extended). There is a lot more space in my current situation compared to the six 2.5" I had in the 55 gallon - might having more swimming space have something to do with it?

thanks in advance,
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 11-01-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Kenny, in my experience generally discus always have their fins extended. Since these fish are pretty new they could be settling in. There could also be a mini-cycle happening (new bio-load in new tank and the BB needs to catchup) or could be nitrates. Generally large daily water changes is your best friend in these cases.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Filip

What's your current water flow Adrian ?
    I notice that when some of mine rest in the high waterflow areas ,cant loose themselves enough to get their up and down fins erected. They get that "swimming against " position .

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Kenny, in my experience generally discus always have their fins extended. Since these fish are pretty new they could be settling in. There could also be a mini-cycle happening (new bio-load in new tank and the BB needs to catchup) or could be nitrates. Generally large daily water changes is your best friend in these cases.
    Pat
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for letting me know this.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    What's your current water flow Adrian ?
    I notice that when some of mine rest in the high waterflow areas ,cant loose themselves enough to get their up and down fins erected. They get that "swimming against " position .
    Hi Philip:

I'm really pleased with the water flow of my filter; the filter outputs disturb most of the surface water but the flow beneath the surface is a gentle flow, except in close proximity to the outputs. The fish swim without any struggle against flow. With the Fluval FX6 I'm running, the input & output hoses are in the sump.

Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Ok, so I placed my second order for five more Discus:

Two Mercury Blue Angels 5"-6" (these are dark solid blue)
    One Golden San Merah 4.5" - 5"
    One Super Galaxy Turquoise 4.5" - 5"
    One Red Dragon 5"-6"

In time I will probably take my least favorite fish out (give it away to someone), leaving me with twelve Discus in the tank, which is the number I would like to have. The new fish will arrive on 24-Nov so in about three weeks. They're from the same breeder DiscusUSA.

Really enjoying my new tank and fish now but there seems to be alot of empty space currently. I think with the new fish they'll be more comfortable in greater numbers and perhaps able to school more.

Registered Member

Hi Philip:

I'm really pleased with the water flow of my filter; the filter outputs disturb most of the surface water but the flow beneath the surface is a gentle flow, except in close proximity to the outputs. The fish swim without any struggle against flow. With the Fluval FX6 I'm running, the input & output hoses are in the sump.

Kenny
    Hi Kenny.... great tank and decor !!! I like it.

About the fins and flow. Chech this video and compare.

https://youtu.be/BYYgbk3qYRw

Is from last weekend. I belive my return pump is ~400-500 G per hour (will check at my return to home in 2 days, and will confirm). And the tank is 75 G.

Nice orders are you getting there !!! Enjoy them.

Best
    Daniel

Ps: mine are Stendker with exception of 3. If video quality is not good, you can increase it to 1080 using the youtube menu at the top righ (3 dots).
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 11-01-2016 at 09:00 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    Hi Kenny.... great tank and decor !!! I like it.

About the fins and flow. Chech this video and compare.

https://youtu.be/BYYgbk3qYRw

Is from last weekend. I belive my return pump is ~400-500 G per hour (will check at my return to home in 2 days, and will confirm). And the tank is 75 G.

Nice orders are you getting there !!! Enjoy them.

Best
    Daniel

Ps: mine are Stendker with exception of 3. If video quality is not good, you can increase it to 1080 using the youtube menu at the top righ (3 dots).
    Daniel:

Wow, they are beautiful fish, each of them. Did you personally hand-pick them yourself? How big are they in the video? Hopefully with my new order I'll get some more color to my bunch. I hope the Red Dragon I ordered looks like yours.

Kenny

Registered Member

Daniel:

Wow, they are beautiful fish, each of them. Did you personally hand-pick them yourself? How big are they in the video? Hopefully with my new order I'll get some more color to my bunch. I hope the Red Dragon I ordered looks like yours.

Kenny
    Thank you Kenny !! I have 3 from rhe LFS and 8 from Discus Hans. I mixed them without knowing I can't. It was too late when I knew. But so far so good !!!.

The 8 Stendker were picked by Hans. It was an online order. They are very active and eat as pigs ... LOL.

They were all ~4". Most of them are now between 4,5-5 " and i am more than happy if they stay at the 5" size. I am not targeting to have xl fish. Keeping them healthy and happy is my target now.

This is a month old video of them eating.

https://youtu.be/PEyznIjmYm0

They have been in the tank for 3 months now.

Your dicus will be bigger and they are already very pretty. You have a big tank.
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 11-01-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Registered Member

BTW.... I have some special LEDs in the tank that enhance the fish colors. Plus I also have blue/white LEDs.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast