ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My 10 Discus arrived

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: My 10 Discus arrived

Really nice discus. Was this sold to you as a scorpion?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post

Really nice discus. Was this sold to you as a scorpion?
    Yes, along with the other blue in my pics. Why do you ask?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Yes, along with the other blue in my pics. Why do you ask?
    Reminded me of a scorpion I used to have years and years ago

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

The root formations have been there for some years and I think the saltwater tides must have cured the wood somewhat as it's pretty solid for the most part. At least one other person had the same idea as me, there are previous cuttings there. I could have another look to see if there's anything worthwhile left. What size is your tank?
    Hi Kenny,
    I just saw this last post I had forgotten to subscribe to it. My tank is a standard 75 gallon. That is so kind of you to offer but I would not want to send you back out there again unless you would be going back for yourself as well! So very thoughtful though! Honestly I am finding some really nice people on this forum. I hope you will continue to update us with photos so I can enjoy your tank!
    Thank you again for your generous offer!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Hi Kenny,
    I just saw this last post I had forgotten to subscribe to it. My tank is a standard 75 gallon. That is so kind of you to offer but I would not want to send you back out there again unless you would be going back for yourself as well! So very thoughtful though! Honestly I am finding some really nice people on this forum. I hope you will continue to update us with photos so I can enjoy your tank!
    Thank you again for your generous offer!
    Hi Jenene,

I'll take another look in a few months after the rainy season. Besides I got this nice cordless sawsall for that project now have nothing else to use it for; It felt very 'out doorsy' there on the beach cutting these roots with my wife & kids watching in awe

Hi Jenene,

I'll take another look in a few months after the rainy season. Besides I got this nice cordless sawsall for that project now have nothing else to use it for; It felt very 'out doorsy' there on the beach cutting these roots with my wife & kids watching in awe
    A great excuse to use power tools!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    A great excuse to use power tools!
    lol

Registered Member

That driftwood is spectacular!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by ebaybrad View Post
    That driftwood is spectacular!
    Thanks Brad,

I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, which was unexpected. I'd figured that I've got to be able to get something to use living where I do surrounded by water, glad I remembered that location I'd cycled past one time.

Kenny

Registered Member

Hi Kenny

How are those Discus going on ?

Cheers
    Daniel

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    Hi Kenny

How are those Discus going on ?

Cheers
    Daniel
    Hi Dan,

I found my solid blue scorpion on the floor two mornings ago, must have jumped out the tank lid which I left cracked after feeding the night before. Needless to say I was shocked; this one and the patterned blue scorpion were acting like they were going to mate for the last 4-5 days prior, ate well and were very healthy.

Besides this, one of my Red Rubies hasn't eaten well since I first got him. He's a little smaller than the rest so I attributed it to him feeling shy among the larger fish. But I've watched him carefully over the last week and noticed he isn't eating at all but spits everything out. I'm planning to clean and get my 55gal ready as a hospital tank to treat him for Hex.

My two Altum Floras are about the size of the Ruby Red that isn't eating. They both eat, but not nearly as much as the last three - Patterned Blue Scorpion, my large Ruby Red, and large White Butterfly, all three of which seem to always have a ravenous appetite and appear to be growing even larger in the short time I've had them.

Thanks for asking.

Registered Member

Hi Kenny

This is the second post that someone says that the discus jumped. I will be very careful with my lid.

About the non or poor eating fish, I had one not eating nothing for 3 weeks if not a little bit more. He/she was doing as yours, rejecting the food. I was waiting to find him dead any day soon. At that time I was reading about the australian FDBW. I ordered the smallest bag size to test it. When I added the first cube, sudenly this weakened discus left his corner of the tank and went to bite the cube. He started slowly to eat FDBW. After a week he was stronger and started to fight for the cube "let me bite too". Then he discovered that the others were such a mess eating that a lot of FDBW can be eaten without going near the cube. At week 2 he started to eat flakes. He learned that the best way to eat a lot was scavenging all the food in the floor in the meantime the others compite for the floating fakes or bitting the cube. Bottom line, he/she is now a happy fatty fish growing and reaching in size some of his friends in the tank.

Wish you the best with the guy.

All will go OK.

Daniel
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 11-14-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DanDiscus View Post
    Hi Kenny

This is the second post that someone says that the discus jumped. I will be very careful with my lid.

About the non or poor eating fish, I had one not eating nothing for 3 weeks if not a little bit more. He/she was doing as yours, rejecting the food. I was waiting to find him dead any day soon. At that time I was reading about the australian FDBW. I ordered the smallest bag size to test it. When I added the first cube, sudenly this weakened discus left his corner of the tank and went to bite the cube. He started slowly to eat FDBW. After a week he was stronger and started to fight for the cube "let me bite too". Then he discovered that the others were such a mess eating that a lot of FDBW can be eaten without going near the cube. At week 2 he started to eat flakes. He learned that the best way to eat a lot was scavenging all the food in the floor in the meantime the others compite for the floating fakes or bitting the cube. Bottom line, he/she is now a happy fatty fish growing and reaching in size some of his friends in the tank.

Wish you the best with the guy.

All will go OK.

Daniel
    Daniel,

That's really something, maybe my non-eating ruby red has hope. I've been alternating frozen BH/bloodworms and tetra color granules (which they stopped eating), but I just ordered AL's FDBWs last week and should receive soon. I look forward to giving them a try.

Kenny

Registered Member

Kenny..... I was thinking about the discus that jumped. I read at Stendker's site that they are very sensitive to changes. For example, lighting suddenly a dark room can make they crash to the glass tank and die. They suggest to avoid sudden changes around the tank. They suggest leaving a soft light during night , in the room or above the tank. Due to those comments, I added a cheap LED strip with a dimmer to my canopy. I regulated it at night to provide a very soft light, but enought to not be dark. Very soft. It is connected to a timer too.

Another idea that probably can help.

Best
    Daniel

Registered Member

Another thing that happened to me.

After receiving the Stendker discus, they all eat poorly for some days (~1-2 weeks) and slowly started to eat more and more. Also they got white spots. I though that was ich, but after reading and looking for info on ich and discus, i found that it was something different (parasite , men I can't remember now) and they were harmless. With time they have to go. And that happened, after 2-3 weeks. By that time all discus, with exception of the one mentioned previously. were eating, extending well the fins and coloring well. They went at that time through a darkening period too. Not too much, but color wasn't vibrant as they are today.

Personal experiences that thankfully finished well.

Best Daniel
    Last edited by DanDiscus; 11-15-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast