Thread: My 10 Discus arrived

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: My 10 Discus arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Andmyster View Post
    Agree with everyone above really nice set up and some beautiful discus
    Thanks Andrej,

My Discus are all growing and still doing well with my daily 60% WC.

Kenny

Real Name
    Phil

I don't believe you kenny... we need picture proof!! Lets see them!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Ok no problem I'll get some new pics in the next few days!

My biggest, 6" Red Dragon, was causing a ruckus trying to mate with one of my Mercury Blues. I gave him away to fellow Discus enthusiast Cindy, who also lives here in Grand Cayman and has been keeping Discus, Planted tanks for many years.

But besides this all are eating well, looking great and growing. I'm doing daily WC 60% of total water volume, so I change 75% of the 180gal each night. And keeping tank walls & filter clean each day. With the refinements to the process I've made, it's not that bad, especially with my boring life of work, then home with family, does take some time though.

I'll post new pics as soon as I can. My Blue Scorpion has grown some, 5.25" now, man she really is a beauty.

How is your beef heart mix working? The new sand? I agree with Phil- we need pics!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    How is your beef heart mix working? The new sand? I agree with Phil- we need pics!
    I haven't tried making my own yet since my LPS got in some more San Francisco Bay brand BH, stuff is really good in that it doesn't mess the tank as much as other BH. I stocked up on this so good for now. Regarding the new sand, I haven't added any more yet since I realize the more I add the harder the maintenance becomes. Right now I have just a thin layer, but the stuff is great as far being able to see everything that needs to be siphoned, much better than PFS.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    I haven't tried making my own yet since my LPS got in some more San Francisco Bay brand BH, stuff is really good in that it doesn't mess the tank as much as other BH. I stocked up on this so good for now. Regarding the new sand, I haven't added any more yet since I realize the more I add the harder the maintenance becomes. Right now I have just a thin layer, but the stuff is great as far being able to see everything that needs to be siphoned, much better than PFS.
    I don't blame you if you are happy with the commercial brands. I can't remember which one I was using but it turned to dust in my tank.

Speaking of dust- I put the moonlight sand that I bought for the discus tank and never used and put it in my 75 gallon community tank. Good thing those fish are hardy because I have not gotten the hang of cleaning it. I have no patience. Made me content to keep the BB I have for now. I would love to take the tank apart and at least paint the bottom. Gave up on the tile too. Too much stuff getting under it.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

I don't blame you if you are happy with the commercial brands. I can't remember which one I was using but it turned to dust in my tank.

Speaking of dust- I put the moonlight sand that I bought for the discus tank and never used and put it in my 75 gallon community tank. Good thing those fish are hardy because I have not gotten the hang of cleaning it. I have no patience. Made me content to keep the BB I have for now. I would love to take the tank apart and at least paint the bottom. Gave up on the tile too. Too much stuff getting under it.
    A really clean BB tank has an aesthetic appeal. It looks really nice imo.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steve Meissner

Hey buddy really like the blue color background. Did you paint it or is it a stick on background?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Hey buddy really like the blue color background. Did you paint it or is it a stick on background?
    It's a stick on, supposed to be deep blue water.

Registered Member

Daniel:

Haven't see you post for a while, but I wanted to thank you for letting me know about AL's FDBWs which, along with increasing tank temp from 82F to 84.5F, was the turning point in my tank. Since including these FDBWs and changing temp to 84.5F all my fish are now getting full bellies 3xday and are so comfortable & healthy.

And thanks for the encouragement when I needed it.

Kenny
    I will post an update. Nice to see your tank is doing well !!!!

Keep tuned.... I will upload a short video.

Daniel

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Hi Phil:

I'm still on my daughter to get me new pics, hoping to have some in the next week. In the meantime, I just ordered eight 6" Discus from Gabe at Wattley Discus. Will receive them week after next. I ordered:

Three (3) Rafflesia
    Three (3) Red Marlboro - these are red & orange, beautiful. Don't have pics of these only video so will have to wait until I receive them to post pics.
    Two (2) Leopard Blue Panda Cross

Rafflesia1.jpg
    Rafflesia2.jpg
    Leopard Blue Panda Cross.jpg
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 02-25-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Some pics of my new fish from Wattley Discus:
    3 Rafflesia
    3 Red Marlboro
    2 Leopard Blue Panda Cross

*LBPC.jpg
    *Raff.jpg
    *Red Marl nice2.jpg
    *RM & Raff.jpg

Wow! Kenny, they look great! Nice color and shape. How big are they? They look pretty big. You finally have those colors you have been waiting for. Nicely done.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Wow! Kenny, they look great! Nice color and shape. How big are they? They look pretty big. You finally have those colors you have been waiting for. Nicely done.
    Jenene,

Thanks They're all huge, the smallest is 5.5" which are one of the Rafflesia and one Red Marlboro. Yeah red color is exactly what I wanted, looks good to me.

Jenene,

Thanks They're all huge, the smallest is 5.5" which are one of the Rafflesia and one Red Marlboro. Yeah red color is exactly what I wanted, looks good to me.
    I am so happy that you are happy! You have been through a lot and FINALLY have the tank, system and fish that you have wanted the entire time. Good for you! Win, win!

Keep an eye out on the reef section, I am diving into a small/midsized reef tank with a lot of help from some friends here on Simply. Stay tuned

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast