ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what cause 2-3 weeks fry die and how to prevent this happen

Registered Member

Default what cause 2-3 weeks fry die and how to prevent this happen

hi, everyone. i just new to breeding discus. last May I got my first batch fry about 60 after 3 weeks they start to die every day, the end of that only 18 survived.because that was my first time breed them , didnt know what was happened, then I search some different discus forum, most says fluke, gill parasite. and one hobbist says he had same problem but once he use " TRUMP BAKTOCURE"(aqua med from Hongkong) the problem is gone, no more dead fry. so I got one bottle meds in hand .
    15/oct I got second batch egg hatched and got 40+wriggle , this time i focos on w/c , 100% w/c change daily, everything good untill 29/oct one fry leave the group stay alone, next day stay same,from 31/oct first fry dead,after 1/nov and 2/nov , only 5 fry left, of course i used " TRUMP BAKTOCURE" but not working.
    twicw situation all same, at begining frys leave the group then they get dark, very weak, cant swimming properly, after that just found them dead.
    is anyone can explan that and how to avoid that ?
    thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: what cause 2-3 weeks fry die and how to prevent this happen

Look up '4 week syndrome', it might be gill flukes

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Could be flukes, could be bacterial, could be internal parasites finally had enough time to accumulate in the fry. There is no one problem that leads to this. It could be multiple things. If you have a fish pathologist around send them some of the fish and find out what your problem really is.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Amr

Best treatment for breeding pair is :
    1 - clean pair with short path dosage is 2 ppm/ p.p / 4hour in day 1 , 4 , 7 . And after every treatment add 1 table spoon salt/40 liter .
    2 - day 10 , 13 ,15 ,30 from fry free swimming add 1ppm/ pp / for just 1 hour .
    It work with me very well .
    I send fish Photos is treated with this method now is 18 month old and in very good shape .IMG_20160924_005116.jpg
    IMG_20160924_004355.jpg
    IMG_20160929_211615.jpg
    IMG_20160902_130939.jpg
    IMG_20160924_005144.jpg

Registered Member

thanks all for reply, I will look into that. fish pathologist and microscope will tell whats cause, but i need take while to find someone do that.
    so meanwhile i gona try fisher's recipe, its work for you, i hope it works for me as well. will start treament tomorrow. fingers cross

Real Name
    Rick

protozoan. Most likely feeding too much food and not cleaning filters frequently enough. 2x daily water changes is much better.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    protozoan. Most likely feeding too much food and not cleaning filters frequently enough. 2x daily water changes is much better.
    I was doing 2 w/c daily, it was small batch frys, I reduced water in the breeding tank , only about 50 lt water in the tank, I was change 30lt in the morning and 30lt in the evening and wasn't feed heavily, because they just start eat bbs and not all of them , and disaster happened

Registered Member

Hi, fisher. I read how to use pp from forum, but us gallon measurements just confuse me, we use liter here. I not sure if I am right, for 2ppm dose, is mean for 100 litre water add 0.2 grams pp?

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1973 View Post
    Hi, fisher. I read how to use pp from forum, but us gallon measurements just confuse me, we use liter here. I not sure if I am right, for 2ppm dose, is mean for 100 litre water add 0.2 grams pp?
    1 mg/l = 1 ppm

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    1 mg/l = 1 ppm
    thanks

Registered Member

My fry are not making it. I cleaned this tank 2 x a day since they were laid on November 24th. 75%water change 2 x a day, wipe down and sponge filter cleaned every day. I did a treatment 0f protozoan a week before they were laid. I found one dead 3 days ago, 2 dead yesterday so I did a treatment of protozoan for one hour. Today 4 more are dead so I did a treatment of protozoan as directed on the bottle (1 tsp per 20) and left it in the tank. This tank has been kept clean.

I plan on changing the water tonight and doing a new treatment of protozoan. The fry all seem to be doing well when you look at them. they are eating BBS and are still with their parents.

There are 70 fry left and I plan on moving there parents out next week. the tank is a 20 gallon.

Any suggestion on what I need to do?

I am hoping that this will be my first successful batch.

Mark

Real Name
    Willie

Maybe we should start with some data. What are the symptoms (prior to death)? Are they hanging near the water surface or sinking to the bottom? Are they gasping (breathing rapidly)?

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

They seem fine. swimming next to the parents, not gasping. Eating BBS. eating some off of the parent. Each morning I wake up and a few are dead. None of the fry are swimming funny.

Mark

Maybe the parents started killing them because they are getting irritated...I usually removed the parents after 2 weeks...I have a pair that would dash and killing the fry...if I were you I would observe them very carefully. That's how I learned breeding...if you just keep posting you will get all kinds of advices from different sources...try to avoid any medication if you see a weaker fish cull it right away. If you more fish started getting sick and dying cull the whole batch which only means they are weak fry.
    Last edited by warblad79; 12-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Registered Member

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast