AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what cause 2-3 weeks fry die and how to prevent this happen

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: what cause 2-3 weeks fry die and how to prevent this happen

There are no obvious symptoms, so I'm not about to recommend any medication. I would try to wean fry onto beefheart as soon as you can. They will take minced beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming. Once they're on beefheart, you can remove the parents and watch them grow.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I have been feeding the parents beef heart but I will start cutting back on the bbs. I lost 2 overnight but hopefully this issue will stop.

Mark

Registered Member

Primary slime disease and secondary overfeeding
    with bbs.

Cliff

Registered Member

I think I know. If they started dieing after you started with BBS, you might have scooped some shells with BBS. When fry eats shells, they die. Collect BBS carefully, using light (BBS is attracted to light, while shells float to the top.)

Registered Member

I had the exact same issue. When my baby discuses reached over 4 weeks old I started having several deaths every day. I eventually figured out my problem and it was bacterial. My harvesting method for hatching baby brine shrimp was flawed and introducing bacteria into my hatchery ie BBS. When I took my airstone out to gather BBS, it would lay in contaminated water from the hatchery. I was using the cheap San Francisco Bay hatchery. It is a black box with a hole in the center where you would place a vial of water and the shrimp would swim into. I would have to take out the airstone to put the vial, it was then it fell into waster water that would sit in the bottom of a spare tank to hold the hatchery. Well I fixed that problem. I treated the tank with erythromycin and the babies stopped dying off. Got to be careful of feeding contaminated food that is for sure. I was doing 20% water changes using RO water every day, cleaning waste, running a UV sterilizer but no luck in stopping the slaughter. Such a shame I had over 60 healthy baby Blue Diamonds, now I am down to 5. This was my first batch so now I know what to look out for. Keep that food and tank utensils sterile. Hope this helps someone.

9 out of 10 times people are either introducing shells when they feed baby brine shrimp or they are inconsistent with feeding.They get busy with life skip a few meals or slack off because something comes up and then they feed maybe too much and the fry over eat.

The other culprit is nitrite poisoning and it usually goes hand in hand with the other one. People tend to think their tanks are cycled when they raise fry... and they are for tiny fry on the back of a pair.But sometimes when fry grow fast and you feed alot and maybe miss water changes you will get micro spikes of ammonia and nitrites. The nitrites are absorbed and internalized and lead to brown blood disease and death. Consistent large water changes are really your best defense here as it removes the ammonia products..

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Alta View Post
    I had the exact same issue. When my baby discuses reached over 4 weeks old I started having several deaths every day. I eventually figured out my problem and it was bacterial. My harvesting method for hatching baby brine shrimp was flawed and introducing bacteria into my hatchery ie BBS. When I took my airstone out to gather BBS, it would lay in contaminated water from the hatchery. I was using the cheap San Francisco Bay hatchery. It is a black box with a hole in the center where you would place a vial of water and the shrimp would swim into. I would have to take out the airstone to put the vial, it was then it fell into waster water that would sit in the bottom of a spare tank to hold the hatchery. Well I fixed that problem. I treated the tank with erythromycin and the babies stopped dying off. Got to be careful of feeding contaminated food that is for sure. I was doing 20% water changes using RO water every day, cleaning waste, running a UV sterilizer but no luck in stopping the slaughter. Such a shame I had over 60 healthy baby Blue Diamonds, now I am down to 5. This was my first batch so now I know what to look out for. Keep that food and tank utensils sterile. Hope this helps someone.
    20% WC per day is not enough...I would normally do 150%-200% twice daily up to 12 weeks old. I would lose some but not anywhere near 10 or more. But most of them are runt or cull so it's OK. Also I don't used RO because its strip all the nutrients and water should be aged for 24 hours for stability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12