ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

Default Re: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Hi Jenene,

I've never really had a successful large grow out before, so I'm hesitant to say what my plans are for them other than I'm enjoying it and trying hard not to mess it up. On the first page of my journal, Rick said "don't forget to sell some along the way", but I'm don't want to put the cart before the horse. I do have a 135 gallon acrylic tank in storage, time will tell. Also, both parents of the fry and the fry's siblings have died, so I will try to give back to Ardan.

Yes, I would do it again because apparently I like changing water and must get something out of growing "things" (plants included) ; > ) What I've learned is to start with quality fry, be consistent and don't add any other fish to the mix.

Craig
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that Craig. Lots of us can learn by watching what works and what may not and all the inbetween uncertainties along the way.

I would love to have the desire to do a grow out but I know in my heart right now it's not for me. I don't mind water changes either, I actually enjoy the time I spend with them- but that is on one tank. I know when I even have the small QT running it gets to be kind of a drag. If I had a bit more time I might be tempted.

Culling is another thing I would have a hard time with and I know it comes along with responsible breeding but I was the kid that would save the worms from the puddles on a rainy day and walk the spiders out the front door rather than smoosh them.

So yes, thanks for documenting your adventures with your gorgeous fish so I can remember how much work it really is and at the same time enjoy your excitement with you as they grow and evolve into beautiful young adults. You should be very proud of your hard work. It is really paying off in many so ways. Wishing you continued success!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

...the plan is to get a 75 gallon for the remainder when Petco has their $1 gallon sale.
    I could be wrong, but I thought Petco capped the size of the tanks in this sale at 55. Have you seen this thread? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-99&highlight=
    President - North American Discus Association

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought Petco capped the size of the tanks in this sale at 55. Have you seen this thread? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-99&highlight=
    Hi Keith,

My two Petsmarts will not match that Slickdeals price. I even have an email into corporate to price match, but I'm not holding my breath. At least I have one nice 75 gallon, so thank you.

Some Petco's carry the 75 gallon for the $1 gallon sale as Larry mentioned via a prior Facebook post. Realistically, your Janesville store most likely only has the 55 gallon, though my fingers are still crossed for the 75 g.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Oh well, I tried.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Hi Keith,

My two Petsmarts will not match that Slickdeals price. I even have an email into corporate to price match, but I'm not holding my breath. At least I have one nice 75 gallon, so thank you.

Some Petco's carry the 75 gallon for the $1 gallon sale as Larry mentioned via a prior Facebook post. Realistically, your Janesville store most likely only has the 55 gallon, though my fingers are still crossed for the 75 g.
    I live in Janesville, WI also and the last time I checked at both PetSmart and Petco, neither even had a 75 available on the shelf.

Great batch of fish you have there.
    Nice job.
    Chris V.

Registered Member

This is great, i just got 6 L/SS from hans, and it's nice to know what i have to look forward to. Any recent pics?

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    This is great, i just got 6 L/SS from hans, and it's nice to know what i have to look forward to. Any recent pics?
    Congratulations on your new fish and here is a quick update.

I did separate the fish into two groups, leaving half in the 90G and the other half in a 55G. Three weeks later, my year old lightly used 55G started to leak. With everyone back in the 90G, the 90G started to leak. Thank goodness I had an empty 72G in the middle of my living room and an extra 55G in storage.

Everyone continues to grow and stay healthy (knock on wood) and the food and water changes flow routinely. Thanks for the interest and here are some current pictures.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Dang, your tank luck might be even worse than mine. Of course all my problems were with 72s, hope your luck is better with them. The fish look great in the pictures, hoping to see them in person one of these days. Maybe we could get together and make heart, I've got a bunch of hearts on hand and am going to be need soon.

Hi Keith,

The 55G was a Petco $1 a gallon special and the silicone job looked poor from the get go. I think the 90G is my age, so I can't be too unhappy and it was a Craigslist find. I already have the Momentive 100 series RTV in black for the repairs, I just need to find the time. Oh, I may have an extra tube if you want to repair your bowfront as well.

Regarding Beef heart, I recently made a three months supply and have filled my small freezer. It would be nice just to get together and talk anything but politics.

Real Name
    CozyKeith

It would be nice just to get together and talk anything but politics.
    Amen to that.

Dang, your tank luck might be even worse than mine. Of course all my problems were with 72s, hope your luck is better with them.
    I came home last night to my wife screaming help at the driveway. It's true, bad things and unwanted tanks emptying come in threes;

That's what happens when one of your dogs breaks your fill pipe on your display tank when you are away, 90 gallons of water on the 1st floor, then into the finished basement. Fortunately, my wife returned home and was able to add a few gallons to the flopping, gasping discus that were on the bottom of the empty tank. I don't know how long the tank was empty, but it took a few hours for the 11 adult discus to get off the bottom of their new full tank. A few stress bars still showing, but fingers crossed that they will return to normal without any future health issues.

Unfortunately, my two extra tanks that have leaks haven't been repaired yet, so the 20 fry that had been separated had to be reunited and placed into a 55 gallon tank, with the display tank occupants getting the other half's 72 gallon. I didn't expect my adults to become the "hero fish", so fingers crossed that the fry don't have unknown cooties. I will bleach the 72 gallon prior to the 10 fry returning to their original tank. Sponge filters from each tank were kept separated and will return to their appropriate tanks.

I lost half the drop ceiling and a few lights in my basement. Fairly easy to replace and the oriental rug from upstairs is in the garage drying very slowly on this rainy day. 5 fans running and fingers crossed that the hardwood floor remains flat.

I've learned that the fill and drain tubes should not go all the way to the bottom, which would prevent all of the water from draining accidentally. I'm happy to report that now that I am past "bad things come in threes", raising the fry will get smoother (I hope).

Real Name
    Ricardo

Man, that sucks. Luckily your wife was there to the rescue!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    CozyKeith

Good grief, if it weren't for the fact you didn't lose any fish I'd say you just can't catch a break. If they appear to be struggling to recover you might add some methane blue to the tank. It increases the amount of oxygen absorbed by the gills.

Good grief, if it weren't for the fact you didn't lose any fish I'd say you just can't catch a break. If they appear to be struggling to recover you might add some methane blue to the tank. It increases the amount of oxygen absorbed by the gills.
    Hi Keith,

I have some Methane Blue on hand and waited about 30 minutes to see if most of the discus got off the bottom of the tank before trying it. Fortunately, most recovered and I turned off the lights and tried to remove what stress I could. The first and only time I used Methane Blue, I think I pushed the fish over the cliff to death and my fingers are still blue.

I can't believe my fish room (O.K., laundry room) is even messier.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast