ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Re: Twenty Stendker Leoopard Fry Grow Out

nice job! they look great. I am not completely sure about not using seachem safe, but since you have had no problem, I think you are fine...Chorine would show immediate and distinct damage if it was present in your water.

regarding uneven growth, most of them catch up...try adding food at both ends of the tank, so that the submissive ones will get some more opportunity to eat.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Well,

I'm using a Canon 60D with 50 mm 1:1.8 II and trying to shoot at 45 degrees to subject using a tripod. Would you suggest auto or manual focus? When using auto focus, too many of my pictures come out making me wonder what the heck the camera was focusing on. I realize part of that is lighting and speed, but......makes me think about dusting off my trusty Canon FTb and shooting with slides.

Craigj
    Sorry Craig, I missed this question. I'm subscribing to not miss any more posts .

Definitely manual focus. It is better to have your camera/lens pre-focused on a certain area and have the fish swim through that area. Lighting plays a huge role as far as how much it allows you to increase the depth of field, and where it allows you to dial in your shutter speed. If you remember from the presentation, I said you want to be roughly at 1/40-1/60 of a second at least. This helps freeze the discus if light allows.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Sorry Craig, I missed this question.
    Definitely manual focus. It is better to have your camera/lens pre-focused on a certain area and have the fish swim through that area. Lighting plays a huge role as far as how much it allows you to increase the depth of field, and where it allows you to dial in your shutter speed. If you remember from the presentation, I said you want to be roughly at 1/40-1/60 of a second at least. This helps freeze the discus if light allows.
    Yes, I remember the timing comment and I also hold my breath while using a tripod. Thanks for the tip on using manual focus and I'm sure that will assist in the depth of field tremendously.

Bigger fish sure are easier to photograph, at least in my opinion.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Yes, I remember the timing comment and I also hold my breath while using a tripod. Thanks for the tip on using manual focus and I'm sure that will assist in the depth of field tremendously.

Bigger fish sure are easier to photograph, at least in my opinion.
    Absolutely. You've seen nothing until you've tried to photograph small tetras!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

The grow out continues to go along fairly well. I did hear that there were some issues with the parents and siblings of my fry, so I finished my first round of Levamisole and am on my last day of Metro, yeah! I've never used Levamisole before, but two of my fry that had not eaten in 10 days started eating 24 hours after medication. Score one for a medication that worked and only time will tell if the two smaller fry catch up to the others. A big thanks to Rick (nc0gnet0) for correcting the dosage that came with the package as it would have been very easy to overdose the young fish.

Hopefully, USPS will bring the much needed replenishment today of Al's FDBW, not that they are tired of the beef heart mix. I've never seen fish with bottomless stomachs before these fry.

Finally, here are some pictures of their growth this time using a tank light plus a slight flash. I am finding it very interesting to see the colors develop as they grow. I don't know what I'll eventually end up with color wise, but this journey certainly has been fun. Thanks again Ardan.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Your group is looking fantastic, and your photography is very good as well. Keep up the great job that you're doing, and please continue with updates.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Registered Member

Great looking fry! Great job...Bill

Thanks Joe and William and I'm trying hard not to mess it up too much.

Thanks for fixing my title typo.

Craigj
    Last edited by CraigJ; 12-01-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Re: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

They look really pretty ! Great job!

Real Name
    Willie

Craig;

These are great. One of the secrets to great spawns is that there's very little size separation, which is what I see in these pictures. When the males outgrow females at an early age, it's often because growing conditions are sub-optimal.

I had a partner in the old days who used to grow out my spawns. He was permanently disabled and home bound as a result. I would bring over spawns from him to raise. He would change ~50% of the water after breakfast, another ~50% after lunch, and another ~50% after dinner. He lived in an apartment complex so hot water was essentially free. I would also bring over frozen beefheart, but he also fed flakes and different types of sprinkles. The result of this treatment was that the spawns were uniform. It was hard to pick out males from females until they got to 3" in size. When local aquarists wanted discus, I just sent them his way. What started up as a casual friendship turned into a highly profitable enterprise! Unfortunately, he passed away from his disability.

You started with great genetics, you pumped them with high protein food and you're keeping up with water changes. You should consider adding a few more sponge filters. I used double stacked Hydro V's and I keep 2 X 2 in my 75's.

Keep up with the pictures! Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Hi Willie,

I appreciate the advice and the new filters arrived on Sunday. I also sterilized a 90 g tank and am currently letting the water heat up to the mid 80s. The fry have outgrown their tank and can utilize more space, especially the increased water volume.

I made some new beef heart mix using John's recipe, and should have about six months of food for them. I'm still amazed and impressed by their appetites (and poops).

Registered Member

Fish look great! Love the pics, how old are they now??

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Fish look great! Love the pics, how old are they now??
    Fifteen of the fry turned 20 weeks old today, so happy birthday!

Registered Member

Beautiful!

Lovely discus. Great job u doing with them

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast