AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

Default Re: Twenty Stendker Leopard Fry Grow Out

Hello,

Everyone was successfully transplanted into a 90 gallon tank and everyone appears happy. Going from a 55 gallon to a 90 gallon tank changes the perspective on fish size, but with 4-5 daily feedings and daily water changes, I trust the fish are growing accordingly. I'm still not quite sure what some of these young fish will look like as adults, any ideas?

Willie's advice on double stacked filters has really helped in keeping the water consistently more clear throughout the day. I'm still running the original filter until the new ones are fully seeded.

The current 90 gallon tank is pretty scratched up, I'll do my best, but I don't think pictures will be as clean and clear as they were with the 55 gallon tank.

Enjoy and thanks for the suggestions.

Real Name
    Phil

That golden glow gets me every time! Lovely

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

nice! if you count the vertical striations (stress bars)...I think the ones with more lines will be your leopard and other will be more like scribbled/turq...

Registered Member

Great work. Fish have come a long way in your hands. Hard work is paying off. Nice

Hi,

Time for a little update. I've continued feeding them 4-5 times per day, with nightly water changes. I wondering if I should remove some of the larger fish and put them in their own tank, any thoughts? I've got about 4-6 fry that are 4.5"-5", followed by a middle group, then about 3-4 smaller fish. They are all still eating tremendously and going through a current growth spurt. Knock on wood, but all are still alive.

If you view the pictures directly on Flickr, I'll apologize in advance for the wrong date as I'm trying out a new camera and I must have messed up the date.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Hi,

Time for a little update. I've continued feeding them 4-5 times per day, with nightly water changes. I wondering if I should remove some of the larger fish and put them in their own tank, any thoughts? I've got about 4-6 fry that are 4.5"-5", followed by a middle group, then about 3-4 smaller fish. They are all still eating tremendously and going through a current growth spurt. Knock on wood, but all are still alive.

If you view the pictures directly on Flickr, I'll apologize in advance for the wrong date as I'm trying out a new camera and I must have messed up the date.
    Nice looking fish

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Nice looking fish
    Thanks Ryan, and good luck with your grow out.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

Registered Member

Looking good, maybe some turquoise, leopards and
    some fine line snakeskins.

Cliff

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Looking good Craig, well done. No great opinion on pulling out the larger ones, but I've certainly heard of some folks doing that.

Thanks for the identification of the fry Cliff. I knew that I would get a mix of fry, yet I'm surprised that some of the same 14 bar fish have a yellow/golden base, and some have a grayish tone.

Keith, I'm trying to put into practice what you've taught me. Later in the week I will put a half dozen of the larger discus into a 55 gallon tank. Your BDs are still growing and coming along nicely.

Real Name
    Willie

Woh! Nice tall bodied discus!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

What a beautiful job growing those out. I love how there are so many variations in the patterns and they are coloring up so nicely. When I see a group I always try to pick a favorite but I love them all!

That must be a lot of work but so rewarding.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Jenene and Willie,

I appreciate the complements and so far, it is very rewarding. Things sure are smoother when you have healthy fish, knock on wooden tank.

Last night I picked 9 of the biggest and put them in a 55 gallon tank. I noticed that most of the larger discus are 14 bar, if that means anything. I did measure a few and I have two at 5" and the rest are around 4-4.5 inches. I hope that is good growth. I will up the amount of water changed daily.

In a month or so, I will put them back into the larger 90 gallon aquarium and the plan is to get a 75 gallon for the remainder when Petco has their $1 gallon sale. Hopefully, all will go well in spite of having one small fish not eating well. To cull, or not to cull.....

Hope you enjoy,

They just look amazing...I can't speak for the rate of growth since I have never raised fry before but they look great to me.

Just wondering what you plans are for them? Did I see in an earlier post you thought of keeping a few and selling the rest?

Would you do it again? Did you learn anything new?

This was a really interesting thread and I am really curious about your thoughts on the experience.

Thank you for sharing the journey with us!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Hi Jenene,

I've never really had a successful large grow out before, so I'm hesitant to say what my plans are for them other than I'm enjoying it and trying hard not to mess it up. On the first page of my journal, Rick said "don't forget to sell some along the way", but I'm don't want to put the cart before the horse. I do have a 135 gallon acrylic tank in storage, time will tell. Also, both parents of the fry and the fry's siblings have died, so I will try to give back to Ardan.

Yes, I would do it again because apparently I like changing water and must get something out of growing "things" (plants included) ; > ) What I've learned is to start with quality fry, be consistent and don't add any other fish to the mix.

Craig

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast