AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ahh... it has been so long!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default Ahh... it has been so long!

Hello everyone! Kris here just saying hi, life has been a bit tough on my schedule, thanks to school and having to take care of my grandma.

I still have my discus, minus a few weaker individuals sadly.. SO I am in definite need of replenishing the group!

out of 8 little babies I got from Mishka 4 remain...

the two culls of the group died of unknown complications but one was deformed with a bent spine, dying early on and the other had a misshapen eye and eventually stopped eating.

another always remained small and eventually passed, despite eating considerably. Maybe my food mix was the problem?

and finally, a larger individual started head standing one day and wound up dead the next day... which caused me to seriously reconsider everything that was going on.

As far as the big Piwow red turq that i got from Rick, its doing nicely being the boss of the 4 tiny discus.

With my food mix being called into question (ground turkey, spirulina powder, selcon, and seaweed mixed together), I wound up switching to PE mysis shrimp soaked in garlic extract, boyd vitamin and selcon as a food for my fish with nice results! Sure wish i fed this to them sooner, might have been able to get them even bigger than they are.

My water change schedule wound up going from 50% twice a week to 100% once a week, to 100% twice a week just to keep the water quality up with feeding.

It eventually got to be so annoying that just this week, i finished drilling and installing an overflow+sump system onto this tank to ditch the canister filter I was using, pain in the *** hauling around a 30lb canister filter weekly to clean it out... to the point that i wound up not doing it that frequently.

NOW! i am happily running a sump system with a 100 micron filter sock loaded with ROX 0.8 carbon, having the bottom lined with seachem Matrix (the biomedia from the canister) and an Oxydator (H2O2 diffuser) to help with the natural breakdown of organics in the tank and aid with algae control.

I have an old 55w jebao UV sterilizer I plan to put on this tank as soon as the new uncut hose barbs arrive in the mail.

I wound up putting sand in the display to make it look nicer, and took it out because it eventually became a siphoning nightmare..

with all that said, I am the content owner of a 55 gallon barebottom discus tank that has had a 20 gallon sump fitted to it! I have 5 rowdy discus that need more companions to spread the aggression and will upgrade to a bigger size when I finally move in about a year.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Ahh... it has been so long!

Welcome back Kris, sounds like you have a good set up there. It is so much easier without sand, even though it looks good, I did the same as you. See ya around here.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

yup, back to barebottom for me... i got some hyacinths in the tank now and have some anubias on the way to make it more appealing while still being easy to clean.

heres my system after just doing a full water change! microbubbles and all..

this new sump setup is certainly promising.

welcome back Kris, post pictures of the Discus.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Hey Kris! Glad to hear from you. I'm glad that Piwow is still alive! I actually got a whole new group. You can come check them out any time. I got out of the hobby for around a year and jumped back in with 25x 1" discus provided by Al. They are all about 6" now.

Would love to see a pic of the piwows now. That's still the silhouette of it in my avatar

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

thanks a bunch Al and Rick!

Unfortunately between the two Piwows i got from you, just the big one survived, the weaker one never really bulked up despite being fed everything i could think of, just spat it out.. guess he was too far gone sadly.

Ill wind up getting some discus from uncle sams tomorrow, considering the piwow mixed with mishka's babies with absolutely no issues, the group as a whole should be fine with some lucky tropicals discus.

hope they have some food i can buy! i need something nice and premade i can have more faith in.
    Last edited by kris2341; 11-06-2016 at 01:12 AM.