ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Researching all about Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Default Researching all about Discus

Was wondering if using k1 media is good to use for discus? Thinking on using it is a sump. If so how much should i use? I have a 55 gal and planning on have about 6 discus. Any help would be awesome, Thank you

Mark

Default Re: Researching all about Discus

I was going to use k1 in my sump but decided against it. Didn't want the added noise of air pumps running.

Fluidized K1 is an efficient filtration method though.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

I was going to use k1 in my sump but decided against it. Didn't want the added noise of air pumps running.

So you use a sump with just plants or do you use media as well?

I was wondering Ryan what would be except able water test results for water changes? I am trying different ratio's with RO and tap water, but do not know what would be exceptible.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by koiman61 View Post

So you use a sump with just plants or do you use media as well?

I was wondering Ryan what would be except able water test results for water changes? I am trying different ratio's with RO and tap water, but do not know what would be exceptible.

Mark
    Sump with different types of bio media. Plants are really not needed. Refugiums are not common on discus tanks. You could always float something like pothos for nitrate uptake.

As far as water params go obviously 0 ammonia and nitrite. Ph value really does not matter as long as it is stable. Nitrate should be as low as possible. I believe recommendation is under 20 but 10 or under is more desirable.
    Last edited by Ryan925; 06-04-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Sump with different types of bio media. Plants are really not needed. Refugiums are not common on discus tanks. You could always float something like pothos for nitrate uptake.

As far as water params go obviously 0 ammonia and nitrite. Ph value really does not matter as long as it is stable. Nitrate should be as low as possible. I believe recommendation is under 20 but 10 or under is more desirable.

Thanks very much for your help Ryan, I started doing a few different ratio combinations of tap water and ro water and the one that
    seemed the best was 2 parts tap and 3 parts ro the results were pH 7.6 Am 0 nitrate 0 nitrites 0 . Should I test that ratio several times to make sure that it is about the same results?
    I left Kenny discus a message for some prices does it take several days for him to get back wit a reply?

Thank very much
    Mark

Thanks very much for your help Ryan, I started doing a few different ratio combinations of tap water and ro water and the one that
    seemed the best was 2 parts tap and 3 parts ro the results were pH 7.6 Am 0 nitrate 0 nitrites 0 . Should I test that ratio several times to make sure that it is about the same results?
    I left Kenny discus a message for some prices does it take several days for him to get back wit a reply?

Thank very much
    Mark
    You water results sound pretty good to me. What does 50/50 give you? Seems that would be an easier mix than 2/3

As far as Kenny goes you will not find better customer service. I imagine right now he is busy with his incoming June shipment. Hard at work of course. You would need to wait until he posts his new shipments with strains and pricing, then you can contact him for your order. He doesn't breed or keep fish around. He gets a shipment once per month.

Word of caution. Be ready! His shipments can sell out within days of posting the list.

All my fish are from Kenny and I couldn't be happier

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

You water results sound pretty good to me. What does 50/50 give you? Seems that would be an easier mix than 2/3

As far as Kenny goes you will not find better customer service. I imagine right now he is busy with his incoming June shipment. Hard at work of course. You would need to wait until he posts his new shipments with strains and pricing, then you can contact him for your order. He doesn't breed or keep fish around. He gets a shipment once per month.

Word of caution. Be ready! His shipments can sell out within days of posting the list.

All my fish are from Kenny and I couldn't be happier

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Thank you again for all your help I will try the 50/50 again i dont think it was much different. I am not quite ready for the fish yet, but will keep that in mind. When does he post for each month do you think? I have ordered the controller, some driftwood, another heater, and a sponge filter. I want to run things for about a month to see how the water , temp, filter things like that before I get the fish. I rather wait a little longer to make sure I have things working right. But I will keep checking his website for prices just wanted an idea of what prices. It sounds like I should also have a few extra strains in mind , just in case he does not have all the ones I want.

Mark

Thank you again for all your help I will try the 50/50 again i dont think it was much different. I am not quite ready for the fish yet, but will keep that in mind. When does he post for each month do you think? I have ordered the controller, some driftwood, another heater, and a sponge filter. I want to run things for about a month to see how the water , temp, filter things like that before I get the fish. I rather wait a little longer to make sure I have things working right. But I will keep checking his website for prices just wanted an idea of what prices. It sounds like I should also have a few extra strains in mind , just in case he does not have all the ones I want.

Mark
    Hey Mark he usually posts at the beginning of each month. Go to his page here and view his last shipment. That will give you an idea of cost, size, strains etc

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hey Mark he usually posts at the beginning of each month. Go to his page here and view his last shipment. That will give you an idea of cost, size, strains etc

Hey what do you mean go to his page here and view his last shipment? not to sure where to look

Mark

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

I think I found the link to get emails for up coming shipments. How would I find the last shipments?

I think I found the link to get emails for up coming shipments. How would I find the last shipments?
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ferrerid=80196

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

[url]http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?128664-PREVIEW-Mega-47-strains-MAY-2017-Forrest-shipment-

So How do you get the ones you want if they are not on the list. Someone on here said it is best to get them all at once? Sorry for asking a lot of questions Ryan and for taking the time to answer them.

Mark

[url]http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?128664-PREVIEW-Mega-47-strains-MAY-2017-Forrest-shipment-

So How do you get the ones you want if they are not on the list. Someone on here said it is best to get them all at once? Sorry for asking a lot of questions Ryan and for taking the time to answer them.

Mark
    Hey no worries. It's best to ask all the questions now.

So as far as strains go it differs every month which is typical with any of the sponsors that import.

When I got mine I just chose my favs that were available and in my price range. You may not have all strains you want in a given shipment.

It is best to get them all at once so you don't have to go through the qt process of adding more. You could add more but you would want to qt them Kenny puts all his incoming fish through is own qt but it's always best to follow the the recommended qt process at home with any new additions. Better safe than sorry in that case.

I originally got 6 then ended up adding 3 more after getting the fever lol.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hey no worries. It's best to ask all the questions now.

So as far as strains go it differs every month which is typical with any of the sponsors that import.

When I got mine I just chose my favs that were available and in my price range. You may not have all strains you want in a given shipment.

It is best to get them all at once so you don't have to go through the qt process of adding more. You could add more but you would want to qt them Kenny puts all his incoming fish through is own qt but it's always best to follow the the recommended qt process at home with any new additions. Better safe than sorry in that case.

I originally got 6 then ended up adding 3 more after getting the fever lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast