AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setup help

Default Re: Setup help

Quote Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
    Hmm... I'll have to do some research on that. There are 4 axial fans in the top of the lid to pull out the heat so I think I'm okay as far as that goes. I'm gonna look into the life span of those LED tubes.
    Would probably be easier to just removed ballast and fixtures and put in some led strip lights or an led fixture

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Would probably be easier to just removed ballast and fixtures and put in some led strip lights or an led fixture
    You are correct. It would be cheaper for me to purchase 2 of these instead of replacing the 6 T5HO bulbs. I think this is the route I will go and keep the T5HO setup for something else.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YXYNRY...3AHQLC50&psc=1

On the refugium subject. If i did a planted tank with Miracle Mud 2 or Flourite, what would I put in the refugium? I guess I wouldn't need plants growing in it if they're already in the tank. I'm just exploring all my options before setting this up. Thanks everyone.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by karpomatic View Post
    On the refugium subject. If i did a planted tank with Miracle Mud 2 or Flourite, what would I put in the refugium? I guess I wouldn't need plants growing in it if they're already in the tank. I'm just exploring all my options before setting this up. Thanks everyone.
    I would suggest creating a thread and asking about Miracle Mud. Some new members tried it and decided to remove it. Best to hear first hand from them as to why.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

The idea of a Refugium is to have a high light, lit 24hrs a day, high water flow area, with fast growing plants, like wisteria or hygrophyllia sp., to quickly export nutrients. Periodically you'll have to trim the plant a bit to give room for new growth. Potting soil capped with fine gravel is all you need miracle mud is a waste of money. Most people go wrong not using enough light, and putting slow growing plants in the refugium. This is a decent filter system for planted aquariums, but not a good choice for growing discus.

-Leland

But using the refugium you described would allow me to have a bigger fish load would it not? I was thinking of throwing some shrimp into the refugium to help the clean up. After reading all over these forums I'm leaning towards not putting live plants in the tank, just in the filter. I am figuring on sand for the bottom with some driftwood.

So, a little update. I purchased 2 72" Beamswork DA FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater 0.50W lights and boy are they bright. The tank isn't set up but I tested them upon arrival. WOW! I cannot wait to get this thing going in a few months.

A little update. I've moved into my new home and the tank is in place. I stripped out the T5 setup and installed my new LED strips. Plumbing will be done in the coming weeks.

20170315_124808.jpg

20170315_124809.jpg

20170315_124850.jpg

20170315_124904.jpg

Cool Re: Setup help

Quick update! I ordered all the filter media and incidentals needed for the sump. I've sealed the holes from the protein skimmer and let cure for 3 days. Then set it up on saw horses and ran the pump for 2 hours looking for leaks. I hope to have the tank up and running in a few weeks. I'm almost there!

Sump.jpg

MODERATOR, can you move this to tank journals? Or should I create a new thread? Thanks!

Real Name
    Phil

Very cool! Nice to see it coming along and moving strong!!

Any plans for what will be in it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Very cool! Nice to see it coming along and moving strong!!

Any plans for what will be in it yet?
    Fish? Not specifically no. As far as discus go, It's going to be what he has at Discus R Us when it comes time. I only live about an hour drive from his showroom so I plan on making it a family outing. I plan on multiple pairs of Dwarf Cichlids, a few interesting plecos from the Loricade family, and an army of corydoras roaming the bottom.

As far as decoration, I'm either going to use pool filter or white sand for the bottom. I'm undecided at this point but I wil have some kind of substrate. I'm not fond of the bare bottom look. I also plan on a big chunk of wood for a Royal Panaque to feast on.

However, the next step is getting a jack post for the basement to reinforce the floor under the tank. The post is only about $65 and will support up to 9100 lbs. hoping to be up and running by the end of the month.

I started a journal thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Leland F. View Post
    The tube led's apparently don't last very long, due to the heat inside the bulb, and not being cooled. Many people are saying they burn out in the first year.
    I converted a lot in a commercial parking garage I do work for. Has been a good six months with them on 24/7 and so far so good
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12