ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding tube, black Face and breeding tube air bubbles

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John and Dawn

Default Re: Breeding tube, black Face and breeding tube air bubbles

Last edited by teslafan; 11-20-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Hey There. They turn dark for breeding purposes as a way of signalling the fry to feed from them. Breeders normally remove any of the darker objects including backdrops so as not to confuse the fry.

I've seen very young females mature and lay eggs even smaller and younger. Generally there won't be much if any growth past that point. Males can show mating behavioral for many years even at that age, highly variable.

Her color should return once she's done with this and will probably become darker faced once she's ready to go again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John and Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Hey There. They turn dark for breeding purposes as a way of signalling the fry to feed from them. Breeders normally remove any of the darker objects including backdrops so as not to confuse the fry.

I've seen very young females mature and lay eggs even smaller and younger. Generally there won't be much if any growth past that point. Males can show mating behavioral for many years even at that age, highly variable.

Her color should return once she's done with this and will probably become darker faced once she's ready to go again.
    Thank you!! I've been searching for an age that a male would still be able to/interested in mating, however I have not found anything. I noticed her face stays dark, but the darkness gets super dark when she is laying eggs or flirting/cozying up to Mr. Blue, and then it gets a light gray when she is just hanging out. I believe this is her fpurth time laying eggs in the past 2 months. Many more eggs this time than last. So interesting to watch the behaviors going on amongst the Discus in this tank...I think we have another two that are potential mates, as they are hanging out quite a bit! LOL

It's really interesting to watch and observe nature like this! Thanks for your reply!
    Dawn

Hey Dawn. If you think you have potential breeders then you may want to invest in a 20-29 gal. and have them set up house keeping. You may want to try and pair the female with various males, kind of like a fish version of the "Dating Game" and see which, if any, works out. Sometimes all of this goes away when you remove them from the main tank, sometimes you end up with a good pair.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John and Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by DISCUS STU View Post
    Hey Dawn. If you think you have potential breeders then you may want to invest in a 20-29 gal. and have them set up house keeping. You may want to try and pair the female with various males, kind of like a fish version of the "Dating Game" and see which, if any, works out. Sometimes all of this goes away when you remove them from the main tank, sometimes you end up with a good pair.
    We do have a 25 gallon hospital tank, but honestly we're not interested in babies just yet. We've only had the 6 new Discus since September and Mr. Blue was moved into the larger tank a few weeks later and the adjustment is going nicely...(apparently too nicely with Mr. Blue and Jesse!! LOL)

Real Name
    Sean

I know this is kind of an old thread but i notice my Discus juveniles passing bubbles too. I think it’s just gas from certain foods or feeding on the surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12