AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 75G tank with 40G sump journey, a novice perpective

Registered Member Pompadour Discus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aja

Default Re: 75G tank with 40G sump journey, a novice perpective

Quote Originally Posted by kris2341 View Post
    yeah i just noticed your filter media setup, ditch most of that and just have poret foam (or any other reticulated foam of proper pore size, poret is quality stuff), the matrix(or other bio media, matrix is just pumice stones), and maybe the purigen if you really like it. i personally like purigen but its not mandatory by any means.
    Hi thanks! Is there a reason why your think I shouldn't use this media , I thought they were rated well. And yes I definitely plan on keeping the matrix and purigen. I wasn't so sure about the rest of it, just seen a lot of people using it and saying good things. But I could go either way with the filter in the first chamber
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I can't recall if you posted on my thread or not seeking advice, but if it wasn't you, go check out my build. The sump layout I have is one that I would recommend anyone with a FW tank to emulate. I love the layout and it makes easy to get to stuff if you have the height clearance on your stand. My stand is short but if you plan around this, you will be good.
    I just wrote this long reply and it didn't post
    Well I was trying to say I saw your post, I definitely like your setup but I think its much more advance than my skill set will allow. It seems like an overwhelming project. Something I will definitely attempt on my next tank after I have gained some experience from a more basic design. Also what does FW stand for?
    "At the end of the day we are not really fish keepers, but water keepers." - Chris Ingham

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

you're raising fish, not coral... and you're using tap water likely so phosguard is literally throwing your money away. reticulated foam is the most durable mechanical/biological filtration media around so you only need that one with a dedicated bio media

Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by 100fuegos View Post
    Few suggestions based on my own experience.

1. Ditch every filter media mentioned and replace it by poret foam and poret foam only. Start by 10 ppi on top, then 20 ppi and last 30 ppi. You will not need anything else. Do not seat the last piece of poret foam on the bottom of the sump, make a base out of egg crate at around 1 or 1 1/2 inches from the bottom.
    2. Ditch the las baffle to the right. It will only create bubbles that your pump will suck and send right up to your tank.
    Hi thanks for the advice! Is there a reason why I shouldn't use other filter media? Also my last baffle was set up to actually be a bubble trap which I mimicked from other designs I've researched or seen from other experts on YT including the King of DIY. So is it more a problem that I may have not spaced it correctly or is the design they created flawed?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Pompadour Discus View Post
    I just wrote this long reply and it didn't post
    Well I was trying to say I saw your post, I definitely like your setup but I think its much more advance than my skill set will allow. It seems like an overwhelming project. Something I will definitely attempt on my next tank after I have gained some experience from a more basic design. Also what does FW stand for?
    FW = Fresh Water. I know it looks complicated, and I thought the same before I actually did the project but after/during it, I didn't feel it was overly complicated.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Aja

you're raising fish, not coral... and you're using tap water likely so phosguard is literally throwing your money away. reticulated foam is the most durable mechanical/biological filtration media around so you only need that one with a dedicated bio media
    Ahhhhhhhh OK!! And yes I will be using aged tap water. I only picked phosguard because someone mentioned using it in another post. But I'm all about saving money so thanks again!

Hi thanks for the advice! Is there a reason why I shouldn't use other filter media? Also my last baffle was set up to actually be a bubble trap which I mimicked from other designs I've researched or seen from other experts on YT including the King of DIY. So is it more a problem that I may have not spaced it correctly or is the design they created flawed?

That last baffle will make the water over flow and fall directly next to the pump creating bubbles. The second last baffle from right to left will actually act as a bubble trap forcing the bubbles to go up and not to the pump. And you don't need other media other than poret foam.

Real Name
    Aja

20161115_233334-1032x581.jpg

Here is updated version with changes!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

swap the places of seachem matrix and seachem purigen.

replace the bio rings and bio foam with more seachem matrix, no point in having so much bio media variety when it all does the same thing. save money and get a bigger size of seachem matrix.

Real Name
    Aja

swap the places of seachem matrix and seachem purigen.

replace the bio rings and bio foam with more seachem matrix, no point in having so much bio media variety when it all does the same thing. save money and get a bigger size of seachem matrix.
    Okay, I only added the rings because someone in this post suggested it, but I get what you mean. Thanks!! Oh and I will remove the last baffle I just can't erase it out of my drawing and I don't have white out.

Real Name
    Aja

So happy today, I went shopping for a stand for my tank. I needed a sturdy stand to handle all the weight, but was still in my price ranged. I shopped all the LFS's and the cheapest one I found was a basic steel stand with no shelving or doors or anything really, for $104. So I decided to visit Salvation Army to see if they had anything that I could use. And I found the perfect piece! It is the perfect size and has doors to hide the sump and is open in the back to allow plumbing. The best part is it was priced at $90, on sale for 50% off and I talk the manager down to $37 bucks!!! I just painted it black and it looks awesome, I will post pics soon

Real Name
    Aja

20161121_1642381 (1).jpg

This is a pic of it before the paint job.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

That's a really nice stand and your tank will look really nice on it, but if l were you l would make sure its strong enough to hold the weight of your tank. Maybe reinforce the insides with some heavy timber and l would also put more support underneath rather than just having only those four legs in each corner. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck with it.
    Last edited by two utes; 11-22-2016 at 04:09 AM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Aja

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    That's a really nice stand and your tank will look really nice on it, but if l were you l would make sure its strong enough to hold the weight of your tank. Maybe reinforce the insides with some heavy timber and l would also put more support underneath rather than just having only those four legs in each corner. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck with it.
    Thanks! Good idea, especially about the legs I was wondering same thing my self they seem kind of wonky. And one of the legs is chipped.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks! Good idea, especially about the legs I was wondering same thing my self they seem kind of wonky. And one of the legs is chipped.
    Is this a steel stand?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast