AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eheim pro vac

Registered Member

Default Eheim pro vac

Hi I'm looking for some type syphon or Hoover that I can use between water changes to remove poo n leftover food without removing water from the tank. Has and body uses the eheim vac or any that will do the job.

Silver Member

Default Re: Eheim pro vac

i have for 3 years, works fairly well to get the real loose stuff up.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    i have for 3 years, works fairly well to get the real loose stuff up.
    thanks mate. Any more feedback

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

I use it without the filter pads that are included. Direct out into the bucket and it works well. Theres a switch to divert from recirculate (filter) or direct the entire siphoning into a bucket. Hose could be longer though the added length could effect the performance or drawing ability.
    I originally thought it was a good way to filter the sediments and direct the water back into the tank without needing to replace the water. That may be the biggest benefit. Keep an eye on the filter. If it becomes plugged up the unit becomes less efficient and the draw is reduced substantially and the sediments can return into the tank, not what you want.

I have the Ehiem vac. It is really designed for gravel or sand (not sure if you have substrate) and since I have a BB it worked but not really strong enough for me even after removing the last section. So I used a piece of tubing from a never used gasoline syphon (obviously (- and attached it to the intake of the vac. Now It works perfect for no substrate and gets into really tight spaces such as under the driftwood with the tubing. Either way with sand or not it can be adapted and is a great tool. Worth every penny IMO.
    unnamed.jpg
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Nice modification. It appears to make the suction more direct and more useful in bare bottom tanks.

I use it, it works good. I use it in sump now and then too which is bare bottom and worked even better as i didn't need to avoid pulling sand into impeller