AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 125 gal redo

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: 125 gal redo

I know Jenene. I see how dirty my bare bottom tank gets in one day and worry about moving them to sand even though it's a thin layer. My cories do a good job of cleaning it, but I'm considering tile for the ease of cleaning. I've read that it's hard to clean algae off tile and pulling it out to clean it is impossible. The tighter the fit, the more likely you'll scratch the glass if you ever have to take it out. You've not had an algae issue though so you should be okay. I'll let you be the tile guinea pig (keep me posted) and I'll be your sand guinea pig. Can't wait to see it in your tank. The fun never ends does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I know Jenene. I see how dirty my bare bottom tank gets in one day and worry about moving them to sand even though it's a thin layer. My cories do a good job of cleaning it, but I'm considering tile for the ease of cleaning. I've read that it's hard to clean algae off tile and pulling it out to clean it is impossible. The tighter the fit, the more likely you'll scratch the glass if you ever have to take it out. You've not had an algae issue though so you should be okay. I'll let you be the tile guinea pig (keep me posted) and I'll be your sand guinea pig. Can't wait to see it in your tank. The fun never ends does it?
    Hi Patty! As far as the tile goes if you put it in at the edge of the silicone that leaves a space you can get your fingers in to lift it out. There will be a little "alley" for stuff to settle but easily syphoned or vacuumed out. Actually the DIY guy says if your circulation is good it should not be a problem. I could just lay some down on one side and see what gathers.

I have not had any issues with algae. I have no idea why since there is a big window a few feet away. I do wipe everything down every other day though. I have a scrubber that I use on the bottom as well- I would just continue that on the tile. Doesn't really give anything a chance to take hold.

The lure of the sand kills me. I love it. I just really like being able to switch on the power head after a feeding and blow everything out from under the driftwood. Lots of food gathers under there. I blow it out, give the fish another minute to snack on any remains and then vacuum. It is just too easy. I give you sand people a ton of credit for being good housekeepers. It shows in your beautiful aquariums. I thought about corys but it was after the fact and I really, really do not want to go through another quarantine unless someone is sick and I have to. That was a huge pain. I wish the Discus suppliers would sell them along with the Discus! Get everyone at once and no QT!

I am still trying to sink that darn piece of wood I got a long time ago. I have it weighted down in a barrel and the darn thing just keeps popping back up every time I let it free. It is a really cool shape though with triangle swim throughs. It also won't allow much junk to gather under. It is narrow and sits up off the floor.

Like our homes, the tanks will never be completely done. That is the fun of it. Like rearranging the furniture in the room. Gives it a fresh new look.

Keep us updated on your progress. Your posts and pics are always a treat.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Patty

I was doing wc last night and looking at my tank while thinking about your post. I may end up doing a combo sand and tile. I could place tile in center and fill in curves of over flow areas and other gaps with sand. The less sand, the better. I am having algae problem in my 125 & worry about picking up tile i.e. scratches or slipping! Funny, I don't have an algae problem in my 75 gal tank even though it also is close to a window. I'm hoping I'll have algae problem solved before I introduce my discus.
    I love my cories. They work tirelessly and are so cute the way they hang out together. Here's what my sand looks like in the morning IMG_1589.jpg

How cute are those little dimples Patty! Those little guys certainly work hard! It is really amazing. A tile and sand mix is an interesting idea. Do you think the sand will stay where you want it to?

As far as the algae goes, that is really strange. Maybe you should bring it up in the waterworks category and someone with more experience may be able to figure it out. Could it be going through a mini cycle from some kind of BB die off?

The tank looks great though. That angle makes it look gigantic. After seeing some new strains of Kenny's coming in I dream for a bigger tank. I find myself looking at all the fish laying in in the barrels and pick my favorite in each one. Just dreamin'... My husband says that it would be a huge project because the tank is in a weight bearing wall. New supports and what ever else...He is not going for it. I guess I will enjoy yours too! I will let you change the water!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I was doing wc last night and looking at my tank while thinking about your post. I may end up doing a combo sand and tile. I could place tile in center and fill in curves of over flow areas and other gaps with sand. The less sand, the better. I am having algae problem in my 125 & worry about picking up tile i.e. scratches or slipping! Funny, I don't have an algae problem in my 75 gal tank even though it also is close to a window. I'm hoping I'll have algae problem solved before I introduce my discus.
    I love my cories. They work tirelessly and are so cute the way they hang out together. Here's what my sand looks like in the morning IMG_1589.jpg
    Algae is prob due to new sand. Hang in there and it should clear up

Real Name
    Patty

C4FAE71B-B002-46ED-A3AD-E2A0E3B10BB6.jpg
    This took way too long but Discus are finally in their 125 gal. I just started a new BCB filtration system (April 8th, 2018) that I’ve been reading about in water works section. Right away I noticed the water clarity is amazing, but time will tell. It’s an interesting read. Dr Novak has some great videos on you tube.
    My tank has had a lot of different looks (in and under the tank) it seems to always be evolving...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12