ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: 55 gallon + 20 gallon sump project (current active discus tank)

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

Default 55 gallon + 20 gallon sump project (current active discus tank)

Just a thread showing off my overall progress with my discus tank, showing the latest pics and advancements done to the system. As well as any snags that have occurred.

For the most part, things have been going well... though some of my fish got sick when i started fiddling with my aquarium heater. What had happened was that i had set my heater to about 86ish degrees and wanted to turn it down slowly over the course of a few days to better suit my new anubias. Sadly my heater seems to be finicky/failing now with some moisture building up inside, and by adjusting it down a bit to 84f on the dial, the heater itself went down to about 76 degrees causing my runty ruddy discus to go dark and have some issues.

Managed to get my heater back up and have it connected to an external controller now at 85f. Conveniently, the controller went on sale right as i needed it!

Funnily enough, the discus I got from Uncle Sam's shrugged off the problem and did not really get sick, same with the piwow in the sump. Only the babies i grew from Mishka did, to the point that they're producing a bit of excess slime and have gone a bit dark.

As far as treatment, I tried a Paraguard dip on the 4 sickly individuals which i believe did more harm than good as they seem weaker, so for now I am just focusing on keeping the water good as they recover and maybe ill just do a good old fashioned salt dip tomorrow once im sure they're recovered enough to handle it.

Thankfully, all the other fish seem healthy!

I boiled and added another piece of driftwood, hope i boiled it enough... and got several ABS pipe end caps in order to elevate the driftwood to allow more water flow underneath, making everything easier to clean.

Registered Member

Default Re: 55 gallon + 20 gallon sump project (current active discus tank)

looks nice, part of me is whishing i went bare bottom too, may of glossed over it but whats on the tank floor

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kris

its just the brown paper that backs the acrylic bottom, surprisingly nice for barebottom huh?

Registered Member

yeah majorly