AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: VIDEO: Red Eagle discus lay eggs for the first time!

Angry VIDEO: Red Eagle discus lay eggs for the first time!

I have her for just under a week, didn't expect her to do this, and even though my red melon show some interest in her, but they are not pair yet. He end up ate all her eggs, which almost made me cry.
    I know the eggs won't hatch, but very sad still.
    What would I do with her now, I dont think i have time to breed discus, but this is so tempting. I have 4 of them right now, 1 is under house arrest under the sump due to bad behavior but I ordered 10 more on the way, hope to find a mate for her.
    Btw, this is a newly established tank with used media, havent finish with the hardscape and plan, but I am very excited. However, I am not an experienced breeder so I may not attempt to, please advice what should I do in this situation .

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: VIDEO: Red Eagle discus lay eggs for the first time!

Nice looking fish and tank. The spawning is natural behavior if they are healthy and happy If you don't want to breed and raise fry (it's a whole other ballgame) you can just let them keep doing their thing and the eggs will disappear. If you want to breed, give them time to pair up and see what happens. The prevailing opinion is that it takes the males longer to mature and figure out what to do. Eventually you'd want a separate tank to breed in.
    You mentioned one in jail for bad behavior. With only 4 currently, you're probably seeing a lot of pecking order behavior. When you get your others and put more together in a larger group after QT, hopefully that will settle down.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Man, she doesn't really care about the other tankmates anymore, keep doing this with 9 others watching
    1.jpg3.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Rick

Nice imagery.. what's the lighting you are using?
    I have now seen my Stendker's Reds spawn twice. Ate them overnight first spawn. Waited two days and then ate them second spawn. My belief is that they will take a few trial runs before they develop the skills necessary to raise a brood. The second batch was 50% unfertized (white) and by a second and different male. The females will find the best suitor. I'm glad she did as he is an extraordinary fish!

I'm using a dimmable ciclid LED, give me 60% red, 20% blue and 20% white color, turn out very pretty . Will have new pics shortly

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Nice capture!! Good looking discus