ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Looking for Fry or larger Discus within 100 Miles or so of Detroit Michigan

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Doug

Default Looking for Fry or larger Discus within 100 Miles or so of Detroit Michigan

I will be looking to stock a new 75 Gallon tank within the next week or two. Trying to source out some Discus. I don't have my heart set on any particular strain so I'm all ears.
    I'm near Ann Arbor, MI but willing to travel 100 miles or so to avoid shipping fish if I don't have to. Thanks

Default Re: Looking for Fry or larger Discus within 100 Miles or so of Detroit Michigan

If you have not yet read the beginners section you should. You need to know what you are getting into.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Looking for Fry or larger Discus within 100 Miles or so of Detroit Michigan

In my experience,I find ordering directly from a breeder and getting the fish directly shipped to you results in much healthier fish than buying from any local store......you are skipping any potential diseases and mishandling of the fish from a second trip and stay in a retail store {remember,every local store has their fish shipped to them too} eliminating this second shipment and stay at the local store is well worth any additional shipping cost.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Doug and welcome to Simply, I agree with both Liz and atlantadiscus. If you are new to discus please review some of the stickies in the beginner section. As for sourcing discus I would suggest a local breeder or consider the SimplyDiscus sponsors. Good luck with both ventures and holler if you have questions.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Naz

Hi Doug,Welcome to SimplyDiscus!! Let me make a suggest to you since your are willing to drive for close to two hours you may want to add another two hours of drive time and visit one of our sponsors ChicagoDiscus.com (Josie Christopher) - Chicago, Illinois.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Doug

Yes thanks everyone. I was maybe not clear. I was hoping to find a local breeder and not a "pet shop" source. I have started going through the beginners forum. Watched the 2 hour video last night, enjoyed some wine and started learning things right off the bat.

My first mistake would have been the Media and Plants. Now I'm looking to other types of aquascape along the lines of this for example. http://www.aquacave.com/aquarium-dec...ardscapes.html

Anyways; I do appreciate the heads up as my XP is strictly in Cold Water KOI & Shubunkin at this time. I built a 250 Gallon Winter tank and Filtration system for my babies, and have a semi-useful background in hydro / aquaponics. These Discus are definitely the flipside of the coin. Lucky for me I like to over Engineer

The good news is I have not bought any of the gear except my 75 Gallon Bowfront Corner Tank and a Fluval FX4 yet so I can spend wisely from here on out.

Regards
    Doug

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Hi Doug,Welcome to SimplyDiscus!! Let me make a suggest to you since your are willing to drive for close to two hours you may want to add another two hours of drive time and visit one of our sponsors ChicagoDiscus.com (Josie Christopher) - Chicago, Illinois.
    I have already visited their website via your sponsors list. Watched them make beefheart...wow. I thought I spoiled my rats back in the day A lot of love goes into that dish.

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Cary Strong is a breeder in Madison Heights who is really well known with the old timers here. You can find him on Facebook.
    President - North American Discus Association

I talked to Cary at NADA. He's working with my second favorite strain, Red Covers.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Doug

Thank you Keith and Liz both for all the help.