AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Condition Question

Registered Member

Default Water Condition Question

If you age your (tap) water for 24 hours or more, do you need to add water conditioner? What about if you use 100% RO water?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Water Condition Question

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    If you age your (tap) water for 24 hours or more, do you need to add water conditioner? What about if you use 100% RO water?
    No need to add conditioner if aging the water,however it best if mix tap water with RO water if it has to be used.One does not need RO water unless they are wilds or breeding pairs For domestic discus tap water with stable pH works fine.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Mervin

That would depend on what is put into your water.Chlorine would be fine to go with aged aerated water for 24 hours.If they use chloramine,then you'd need a conditioner.

Real Name
    Willie

Depending on where you live, adding a water conditioner can be low cost insurance. Every fall in Minneapolis, the sewers get clogged with falling leaves. At some point, our local water company will send a large pulse of chloramine through the system. I can usually tell because you can smell chlorine in the shower. At that point, I double or triple the Prime or Amquel dose - whichever one I happen to buy cheap.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I live in Maple Grove Minnesota, which has "liquid limestone" for tap water. It was really hard on the discus I raised five years ago and that is why I invested in a home water softener now and also have an RO unit that I can use for some of the tank water.

Real Name
    Mervin

If you use 100% RO water then all the chlorine and chloramine should be removed threw that process along with the Kh and GH hardness.

I do 50/50 RO and tap then age it, I drop a capful of Amquel in with the water change just for insurance, can't hurt.

Real Name
    Willie

I age my water, R/O or tap, without dechlor. I'll add my AmQuel, Safe, Prime..., right into the tank during the water change itself. The major reason is that the water holding container doesn't get slimy as a result.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I age my water, R/O or tap, without dechlor. I'll add my AmQuel, Safe, Prime..., right into the tank during the water change itself. The major reason is that the water holding container doesn't get slimy as a result.

Willie
    I should maybe have been a little more clear, I throw the conditioner right in the aquarium as well. Just like Willie does.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by CammieTime View Post
    I live in Maple Grove Minnesota, which has "liquid limestone" for tap water. It was really hard on the discus I raised five years ago and that is why I invested in a home water softener now and also have an RO unit that I can use for some of the tank water.
    I used to live in Eagan, MN and the water felt the hardest compared to anywhere else I'd lived, or even visited. Never actually tested the water though, still miss MN love that place. The water here in Cayman is very soft.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    ..., still miss MN love that place. The water here in Cayman is very soft.
    It was 12F this morning, going below 0F next week.

Willie