ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: NZ Iron Sand as a substrate.

Registered Member

Default NZ Iron Sand as a substrate.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried New Zealand Iron Sand as a substrate.

http://www.piscesnaturalproducts.com...egory=16150182

Just wanting to get some feedback, (this is my first post) as I am about to use it in my six foot tank.

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: NZ Iron Sand as a substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybot View Post
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried New Zealand Iron Sand as a substrate.

http://www.piscesnaturalproducts.com...egory=16150182

Just wanting to get some feedback, (this is my first post) as I am about to use it in my six foot tank.
    Hi Jonnybot and welcome to the forum .
    Sorry for a late response .
    I like the colour and the elegant black velvet look of this sand Johny but I haven't heard about it been used before in a discus tank here on this forum .
    First thing to note here is that black bottom is usually avoided when it comes to discus , because they tend to camouflage with their environment so the black bottom and background would make discus colours more dark and dull as opposed as they would appear if you use white sand.

Other thing to research and be warry about is the mineral content of the sand and if the iron content might bother fish in general .This is why ussualy chemically and organically inert substrates are preferred when it comes to keeping delicate fish species such as discus.So better check twice about its safety for water quality and fish before you take the plunge with it .

Hope I haven't confused you even further with my nonspecific answer Johnny .
    I would love to see your future progress of your tank and your expected discus .