AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C02 for an 180G?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Default C02 for an 180G?

I've been setting my 6x2x2 back up after finishing up painting the living room and removing all the marine gear off it. I have read a lot on here previously about discus & plants so please don't jump to "don't do it". The plan is to only keep low care level of plants such as java moss, java fern and anubias, don't think i would be adding much else plant wise. So the question is, would i still need to run a CO2 unit? I've seen more heavily planted tanks running without that seem to be doing well but i know CO2 is an important part of planted systems. Which leads me to my next question, what C02 systems are out there for larger tanks? I haven't been successful in finding one that is suitable for such a large tank.

Default Re: C02 for an 180G?

Those low light plants won't require co2. It's not how heavily the tank is planted but the light demand of your plants. You will need to play with your photo period. Those plants don't require too much light so too long of a photo period or too much parr will bring on algae problems.

Real Name
    Mervin

+ 1

You will not need CO2 for those low light plants.You will need a large tank of CO2 for that size tank;a bit costly.I've grown those plants using cheap incandescent light bulbs.

Java Fern, narrow leaf java fern and Anubius hastifolia....they are struggling a bit but I turned up the light a little and they started to come around a little. Anubius has a some deficiency issues but I don't want to start dosing EI.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

love the tank shape,what size is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Java Fern, narrow leaf java fern and Anubius hastifolia....they are struggling a bit but I turned up the light a little and they started to come around a little. Anubius has a some deficiency issues but I don't want to start dosing EI.
    Are you running a canister with your sump? Never noticed that before.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    love the tank shape,what size is that?
    Its a 58gallon oceanic...I love it too!!
    There is a nice used one at the LFS. I'm trying to figure out if my marriage can handle another one! LOL..

Ryan, I put the ehiem on right after I did the substrate change to help with a little cloudy water. Then I never took it off!
    It really helps with messy feedings. I rinse the intake sponge with water changes and clean it every couple weeks.
    The corys keep things stirred up some too, and it helps with that.

Its a 58gallon oceanic...I love it too!!
    There is a nice used one at the LFS. I'm trying to figure out if my marriage can handle another one! LOL..

Ryan, I put the ehiem on right after I did the substrate change to help with a little cloudy water. Then I never took it off!
    It really helps with messy feedings. I rinse the intake sponge with water changes and clean it every couple weeks.
    The corys keep things stirred up some too, and it helps with that.
    Ah gotcha. I'm in the process of a sump build so hoping to get away from anything extra other than that. I've changed my plan so many times I can't count. Finally settled on wet/dry as first stage. That's as far as I've gotten through. Too many projects

Let me know if can help, I designed, cut, built my bean animal from scratch out of acrylic. Fun project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let me know if can help, I designed, cut, built my bean animal from scratch out of acrylic. Fun project.
    Thanks man. Don't wanna hijack this thread but my tank isn't drilled so going with a CPR overflow with a 40 breeder down below

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Thanks for your inputs guys, didn't think i'd need co2 but wanted to confirm. Oh and don't worry about the 'hijacking' cool overflow design.

Real Name
    Austin

Just to chime in, if you were to one day upgrade to a high tech set up, co2 art has really good kits for large tanks with ph controllers. A little costly but worth it
    you can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by a.person61 View Post
    Just to chime in, if you were to one day upgrade to a high tech set up, co2 art has really good kits for large tanks with ph controllers. A little costly but worth it
    Thanks, i'll keep it in mind if i ever go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by petem8 View Post
    Thanks, i'll keep it in mind if i ever go down that route.
    When I was running co2 in my 75. I ran several bubbles per second and my 5# tank lasted for months

Real Name
    Filip

I keep variety of plants in a good state in my discus tank without any Co2 or any additional fertilizers .
    All I have to offer my plants is a good light source and a bit of rich nutrient soil in their pots to keep them well fed.

Here is a pic of my tank to encourage you to go without CO2 for your discus sake.

IMG_20161113_222013.jpg
    Last edited by Filip; 11-27-2016 at 07:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast