AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some new foods here....

Default Some new foods here....

Hi all,
    if you have a chance please visit AquaticSuppliers's Storefront.... http://aquaticsuppliers.com/

I've added several foods there. In addition to our Flagship Product..Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms and Our German sourced Line of Diskusgold® PlanktoPlus Daily pellets we have added more great options.

We carry two economical Pellets,Discus Chow and a new Cichlid Pellet ,Hi-Pro Cichlid Chow, both of these are great for Discus and at $20 per 16oz shipped are a real value product for their ingredients. I have been feeding them now to my fish here and the acceptance has been very good.

Last but not least...We are very pleased to now carry our Flagship Freeze Dried Australian Blackworms as a Premium Pellet produced by Mal @ AustralianBlackworms. My supplies of AquaticSuppliers' Australian Blackworm Pellets are very limited as I test out the Market here in the USA. I offer them in a convenient 50G resealable foil bag@ $9.99. This size is a great size to try out and see if your fish will take them.

The Nutritional information for each of these products is listed in the product descriptions in the shopping cart.

All Products include free economy shipping. Please note I do not provide tracking automatically for the Free Shipping. I also provide the option for Priority Mail ( tracking is included automatically) .The Rate paid is exactly what it costs for Priority mail. I do not charge handling fees and if the Shopping cart miscalculates and charges you more...I refund the difference after shipping.

These Products are great for many Fish species besides Discus so try them out if you are looking for alternative foods.

Some advice on Feeding New Foods that has worked for me over the years....
    Getting Discus to eat pellets can be a real challenge especially if they have been raised on Blackworms or Beefheart Mixes as mine have. Often times hobbyists give up too soon because their fish ignore the new food initially. They start to worry that they are starving their fish because they have not eaten in a few days. Thats seldom the case. Be patient when introducing new foods. Its extremely important that you offer it exclusively . If you feed them their favorites and try to introduce new foods, 9/10 your Discus will wait it out. They "know" that sooner or latter that favorite food is going to show up in the tank when they see you...You are associated with it. Discus are alot like Kids... Some will eat anything you give them, Some are stubborn as all heck about new foods... Those ones will come around but not if you cave and make them their favorite meals! However there are some that really just wont take to anything but Peanut Butter and Fluff , Mac and Cheese, or what ever they love.... Thats a fact life for a parent.... same for a Discus Keeper.

You can however start them on the right foot by not spoiling them as Fry.... Fry and Juvies most readily accept new foods like Pellets... Just be patient! I am currently feeding these to a pair of adult Blue Snakeskins, a tank of wild Blues and group of Domestic Juvies and they take them with no hesitation. It took a few attempts as I really feed mostly Freeze Dried Blackworms and my fish are as spoiled as it gets!

Best always,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-25-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Some new foods here....

Quick video here of my spoiled Snakeskin pair eating "DiscusChow" http://aquaticsuppliers.com/AquaticS...z-Pel-16oz.htm

I'll post others as Time allows.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-25-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Same Pair...Lunch time. This time Im feeding a slightly larger pellet...AquaticSuppliers's Australian Blackworm Pellets. http://aquaticsuppliers.com/AquaticS...m-pel-50Gr.htm

Sorry for the sound quality...first time I tried putting music to a video was today. Vids and music done on phone. Tried to choreograph it a bit! Not easy!

Anyways,just showing that these fish took to the pellets. These were not grown out on them...they were Imported by Ryan Smith from Ricky Lim.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-25-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Same Pair...Lunch time. This time Im feeding a slightly larger pellet...AquaticSuppliers's Australian Blackworm Pellets.
    All my discus are on Australian Freeze Dried Black worms, which is a great product and food. I purchased the pellets in order to be able to feed through my automatic feeder, and my fish were on them like a rash.
    Don't hesitate on either of these products....Your discus with thank you!

al bw1.jpg

al bw2.jpg
    Last edited by two utes; 11-25-2016 at 05:25 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    All my discus are on Australian Freeze Dried Black worms, which is a great product and food. I purchased the pellets in order to be able to feed through my automatic feeder, and my fish were on them like a rash.
    Don't hesitate on either of these products....Your discus with thank you!

al bw1.jpg

al bw2.jpg
    Joe, Thanks for stopping by with your feedback on Mal's Worms and pellets... I couldn't agree more! Beautiful Fish my friend!

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-25-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Beautiful Fish my friend!

al
    Thanks Al. Much appreciated

Good stock
    Good water
    Good food

......its simple
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

How much is recommended for pellet food per feeding. It's quite obvious that if you feed too much discus will graze them for hours. It's tough to feed the what they'll eat with a given period rule because of the slow sinking. Mine often don't feed off of the surface so they will eat then slowly as they sink

As I was trying to get my auto feeder dialed in there were times where I dropped too much. I noticed increase in nitrate as well as a film on glass and wood. I'd love to feed the pellets on the auto feeder for midday feeding just don't want to overfeed them for WQ reasons.

Thanks

I really think people over feed their fish on foods like pellets. A pellet is condensed nutrition... how much to feed is going to be a factor of the age of the fish and the numbers of the fish. I prefer multiple small feedings. I like for them to eat their food in about 15 mins. Most pellets and flakes fall apart after that anyway or start to....which just fouls the water.

Hth,al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I really think people over feed their fish on foods like pellets. A pellet is condensed nutrition... how much to feed is going to be a factor of the age of the fish and the numbers of the fish. I prefer multiple small feedings. I like for them to eat their food in about 15 mins. Most pellets and flakes fall apart after that anyway or start to....which just fouls the water.

Hth,al
    Exactly. I think pellets are very easy to overfeed. Maybe like 1/2 tablespoon for 7 5.5"-6"?

Registered Member

Not to change the subject,BUT how about the FDBW cubes? For 8 3.5"-4.5" Discus,how many would you feed as a serving????

How long would it take them to eat it is the question...thar and what size pellet. The vids are pellets that are 1-1.5 mm

A size range that I think is discus friendly.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Not to change the subject,BUT how about the FDBW cubes? For 8 3.5"-4.5" Discus,how many would you feed as a serving????
    That's a great question because I thought I saw Al say something like 3-4 cubes per feeding somewhere but I see people say there are breaking up a single cube. I feed 3 for 7 5.5+/- fish.

I'd definitely love to hear what the recommended number is straight "from the horses mouth". So much speculation and opinion to weed through

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    3-4 cubes..

1 cube per 2 adult discus per feedings.. 3 -4 feedings day.if you fed just my cubes...adjust per fish tank...obviously different fish will have different appetites.

So speaketh the horse
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Geez,I think I must be starving my fish then! I feed 1 cube to all 8 and it is gone in 1-2 minutes,but towards the end of it,they seem to stop hunting for the stragglers and broken bits. They get this same amount 3x/day along with 1 to 2 small portions of flakes or pellets.Is that underfeeding?

Probably not underfeeding .. you are feeding the. 3x a day plus pellets and flakes...its probably fine. Are they growing? Post some pics if you can and i can at least give you an idea as to how they are doing.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast