AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 Little Things (literally) That Make Life Easier-What Have You Found?

Default 3 Little Things (literally) That Make Life Easier-What Have You Found?

I was at Home Depot the other day and I found something that really is so simple but makes my daily routine a lot easier. It got me thinking and I found 2 others that I have been using and thought I would share and see what you have found that simplifies things. For those of you who have been around and already know about it that is great. This is for someone who may be able to use these or has something else to share.

The first is an electric plug that has a switch on it. I bought 2 of them. One for my pump to turn off during feedings and the other is for the power head that I only use to sweep the bottom of the tank before I vacuum. It is really nice to not have to unplug them. Just flip a switch.

The second thing is just one of those removable hooks that you would hang on a wall. I use them on my aging barrel to hang my air stone hose and heater cord so they don't drag on the floor when I roll the barrel across the house to fill it. This is much easier than wrapping them around the handle of the barrel.
    The last one is a lawnmower gas syphon. I cut it down and it fits my drain hose perfectly. I can't use a python because of how far my tank is from my sink so I syphon water out the window into a pvc pipe that directs it away from the house. I struggled getting the syphon going until I found this. One quick squeeze and out the water goes.

So if you can use this great, if you have something to share please do. There must be a lot of little tricks up your sleeves. Hope to find some we can all use.
    Three little things.jpg

Default Re: 3 Little Things (literally) That Make Life Easier-What Have You Found?

Good idea with the switch. When I get my stand built I am changing my power strip. I found one where each outlet has its own on/off switch above it.

As for your hook goes I use the command Velcro strips all over the place. I have my remote, inkbird, led drivers etc all mounted inside or my cabinet with the Velcro strips

Default Re: 3 Little Things (literally) That Make Life Easier-What Have You Found?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Good idea with the switch. When I get my stand built I am changing my power strip. I found one where each outlet has its own on/off switch above it.

As for your hook goes I use the command Velcro strips all over the place. I have my remote, inkbird, led drivers etc all mounted inside or my cabinet with the Velcro strips
    Velcro is a great idea. I put a screw in for the Inkbird but the plug is just hanging. I have not seen the strip with the individual on off switches. I am set with the 2 that I have now though.

First post and there is something I can use. Thanks Ryan! (-:

Registered Member

Going to grab some of those switch outlets ASAP! Great idea!

Real Name
    Ricardo

I prefer this remote switch even better than the switch where you still have to reach down to the outlet itself. Cheap, effective, convenient, my cup of tea.

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-32555-W...MT5XQAB684JENH

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Willie

1. All my heaters and air pumps are on one circuit and all my lights and water pumps are on a different circuit. Every morning, I shut off the heaters and air pumps, switch on the lights and water pumps, to do my water changes. Then I switch off the circuit with lights and water pump, turn all the heaters and air pumps back on, and go to work.

2. I was able to reduce my water change time by 50% when I won a second Python at the fish club auction!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    1. All my heaters and air pumps are on one circuit and all my lights and water pumps are on a different circuit. Every morning, I shut off the heaters and air pumps, switch on the lights and water pumps, to do my water changes. Then I switch off the circuit with lights and water pump, turn all the heaters and air pumps back on, and go to work.

2. I was able to reduce my water change time by 50% when I won a second Python at the fish club auction!

Willie
    Very smart! Thanks for sharing.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicole

Funny, I've been thinking about looking to see if such a switch exist for my pump. Going to home Depot asap

Real Name
    Mervin

I find a timer switch to be the best invention.I never have to worry about turning the lights on and off.The timer works perfect.Cheap scrubby pads for media in my filters from the dollar store work like a charm.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Im with Rick on the remote outlets....works perfect for any hidden outlets or surge protectors that you want to conceal. The exact one I use is below, nice thing with that model is you can pair as many outlets as you want on 1 switch, or have 5 different outlets on their own remote switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wire...=Remote+outlet

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBraap View Post
    Im with Rick on the remote outlets....works perfect for any hidden outlets or surge protectors that you want to conceal. The exact one I use is below, nice thing with that model is you can pair as many outlets as you want on 1 switch, or have 5 different outlets on their own remote switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wire...=Remote+outlet
    Careful what you plug into those.....the description states"power remains off after a power outage" so if you plug your heaters or waterpumps into these,and have a brief power failure,they will not automatically turn back on which could prove deadly to your fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by atlantadiscus View Post
    Careful what you plug into those.....the description states"power remains off after a power outage" so if you plug your heaters or waterpumps into these,and have a brief power failure,they will not automatically turn back on which could prove deadly to your fish.
    Definitely a good point to make and I have experienced it once. It has come back on itself after power blips but I check anyway. Luckily im not prone to outages but in case I keep their air pump/sponge filter on a seperate outlet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

woah, i have my filter on one of these remote switches! i had no idea it might not turn back on after a power outage. thanks for the heads up!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DAVID

Unplug it and see what happens...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    DAVID

I use a syphon usually used in the beer brewing industry no more swallowing fish piss.

For getting the last water out of a water change container I use a kayak pump. These are for if you capsize to get the water out of the kayak.

The third thing I found is how to get the exact amount of water in the test tube for testing. I fill the tube all the way to the top, I then while grasping each end in hand slowly drop the open side to almost horizontal. As you do this the water drips out, let it do that till the surface "bubble" touches the bottom of the tube. When returned vertical it if done right will be exactly on the line of the tube. I figured this out several weeks ago and it works all the time now. I just think it is fun too.

tanks
    d

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast