ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Fishroom Project (Philadelphia / New Jersey area)

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: My Fishroom Project (Philadelphia / New Jersey area)

That's a nice setup Greg. Just one suggestion. If you wait and add the prime just before the water change, or directly to the tank, the chlorine/chloramine will remain in the water as it ages, preventing the growth of bacteria and algae in the barrels. With all that plumbing hooked up, cleaning out the barrels is not something you want to do very often.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    That's a nice setup Greg. Just one suggestion. If you wait and add the prime just before the water change, or directly to the tank, the chlorine/chloramine will remain in the water as it ages, preventing the growth of bacteria and algae in the barrels. With all that plumbing hooked up, cleaning out the barrels is not something you want to do very often.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have heard that people clean the barrels from time to time but I questioned as to how necessary it would be for me to do so. I have ran barrels like this before for 4 years and never cleaned them once with no issues but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have. My logic is that the water is only in there for a day or less, and if I go away then perhaps max a week, should I decide to leave it full before I go away. With all of the constant input of new water, sometimes 60 degrees, sometimes 80, does the bacteria really have a chancr to grow since the drums are being blasted with straight tap every time? Even if I add Prime right away I wonder how the introduction and constant flow of new water affects the need to clean barrels. I will have to do my research so thank you for bringing this suggestion to the table, I am always looking for ways to improve / rethink what I am doing. It seems like your suggestion to add Prime before I do the water change may be something worth implementing at the very least, I will look into bacterial growth in aging barrels to see what the deal with that is.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Greg Biggiani

Took this video tonight. It is a quick tour of my fishroom in its current state and it includes all of my tanks and all of my fish.

https://youtu.be/FM_sqt2gmmg

Registered Member

Looks great! Good luck in med school! It's really important to make some time for something you enjoy while in med school so you don't get overwhelmed with stress. I liked to take some time while in vet school to keep up my planted tank and big cichlid tank to destress. If you ever need pointers in that department feel free to ask! Always strive for a balance!

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

Great set up Greg.
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12