ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purigen Reactor for sump

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Purigen Reactor for sump

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Purigen Reactor that I can hang on the back of my sump and can put the input & output tubes right into the refug part of my sump. My aquarium is 180 gallons, the sump is 30 gallons. I read that the Octopus MF300B is highly rated but doesn't work as well with Purigen. Does anyone know of a media reactor that will work for me?

Thanks in advance,
    Kenny

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Default Re: Purigen Reactor for sump

After looking around some more I'm liking the Reef Octopus MF-2000 Media Filter. It's not HOB but I'd put this in place of my Fluval FX6 which currently has 2 trays of Purigen and both the input & output hoses run in my sump. In other words my FX6 is only being used to run the sump water through the Purigen. I'm thinking the Reef Octopus should do a much better job than the FX6, and take up less space too.

I'm still looking around though.

Real Name
    Ricardo

+1 for Reef Octopus. They make great products.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    +1 for Reef Octopus. They make great products.
    Excellent, I think I'll go with one of these then. The Reef Octopus MF-2000 holds ~ 1 gallon of media, pump (sold separately) can be 200gph-400gph. Sounds like this should really help my water quality.

Registered Member

Purigen needs a slow roll a large pump like you mentioned will only push into the aquarium. I use a lifegard fluidized bed filter with a liter of Purigen and it (lifegard filter) is turned way down. My pump I use is a aquarium systems 404 and it may be only pushing 35 gallons per hour through the filter and I still use a knee high panty hose to catch the light beads that escape.

Seachem has stated that purigen works best in a fluidized type filter and it just needs to be suspended in the column somewhat to much pressure and you will start to destroy the beads if they do not end up in your tank.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Purigen needs a slow roll a large pump like you mentioned will only push into the aquarium.
    Hi Pittdogg,

Thanks for the info. The 200gph-400gph is the recommended range pump, see link below (click 'More Details' tab on left). I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus...-media-reactor

Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 11-29-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrian31@outlook.com View Post
    Hi Pittdogg,

Thanks for the info. The 200gph-400gph is the recommended range pump, see link below. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus...-media-reactor

Kenny
    That recommendation is for much heavier media. Make sure you get some sort of fine polyester screen for the top or panty hose on the output.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

That recommendation is for much heavier media. Make sure you get some sort of fine polyester screen for the top or panty hose on the output.
    Thanks for letting me know. It sounds like the throughput on these filters is very low for example compared to my Fluval FX6 which has only Purigen in it. When I opened it 3 weeks ago the Purigen appeared to be darkened throughout quite evenly. I run the Purigen in the two bottom trays only, top tray is empty to ease circulation. I'm thinking now my FX6 is doing a pretty good job.

Registered Member

I've been using an Aquatop MR20 reactor for about 6 months now. I cut out 2 circles of 30ppm sponge for the top and bottom of the chamber to hold the Purigen in. Plus it has a mesh bag over the output to catch any stray beads. It works well. Takes a little fiddling to get the flow right, but it keeps my water very clear. The other DIY way you might look into is using a single 10" filter like on an RO unit, hooking it up to a small pump with a flow valve, and putting the Purigen into a refillable cartridge like they use for DI resin. That setup might be easier and cheaper.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I've been using an Aquatop MR20 reactor for about 6 months now.
    very nice I'm actually looking at the MR30. Only thing holding me back is the reviews have said the plastic is brittle and they tend to leak at the top O-ring any problems with either? Are they real flexible in the clear cylinder area?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by gators111 View Post
    I've been using an Aquatop MR20 reactor for about 6 months now. I cut out 2 circles of 30ppm sponge for the top and bottom of the chamber to hold the Purigen in. Plus it has a mesh bag over the output to catch any stray beads. It works well. Takes a little fiddling to get the flow right, but it keeps my water very clear. The other DIY way you might look into is using a single 10" filter like on an RO unit, hooking it up to a small pump with a flow valve, and putting the Purigen into a refillable cartridge like they use for DI resin. That setup might be easier and cheaper.
    Thanks for posting this. Do you know if there are any reactors made specially for Purigen? I'd like to find a large capacity one for my 180gal. I'm not into DIY and cost isn't so much an issue, just looking for something pretty powerful.

Registered Member

There is none specifically for Purigen. They all are for media like carbon, phosphate remover or sand for bio bed. You can use most any for Purigen you just need to slow way down so they do not puke it back into the aquarium.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

There is none specifically for Purigen. They all are for media like carbon, phosphate remover or sand for bio bed. You can use most any for Purigen you just need to slow way down so they do not puke it back into the aquarium.
    I see, that's what I thought. I think I'll look around maybe there's something large capacity that will work for me or else I'll just focus on how I can maximize my FX6 some more.

thanks,

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

You should check out Paul's (username afriend) reactor design.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen-Reactor

I have seen the PhosBan 150 reactor converted pretty easily, but haven't tried it yet myself.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    You should check out Paul's (username afriend) reactor design.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen-Reactor

I have seen the PhosBan 150 reactor converted pretty easily, but haven't tried it yet myself.
    Thanks Dan, I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast