ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purigen Reactor for sump

Default Re: Purigen Reactor for sump

Here is mine...
    I started with Lifeguard and it sucked....the PhosBan 150 was cheap, super easy and works very well. I have it running on a very small powerhead and even that needs to be throttled down for a slow roll.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen+reactor

I get zero Purigen escape with a fine filter pad circle cut for the top and bottom, see pict. If you want bigger(which I may do you go with Phosban 550).
    Last edited by Neptune; 11-30-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Here is mine...
    I started with Lifeguard and it sucked....the PhosBan 150 was cheap, super easy and works very well. I have it running on a very small powerhead and even that needs to be throttled down for a slow roll.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen+reactor
    Hi Neptune,

Thanks for posting. I'd previously read through your post while searching this topic. I realize there's not an ideal solution, at least not what I was hoping for. Looks like these reactors provide maximum exposure to the Purigen but the flow rate needs to be low. It'd be nice if the gph was higher.

Well I ordered a Reef Octopus MF-2000 and a 135gph pump w/adjustable flow rate which I can throttle down. I look forward to setting it up and fine tuning it.

EDIT: the pump I ordered is 120gph

Kenny
    Last edited by adrian31@outlook.com; 11-30-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Fwiw i just put the bags of purigen in the water flow of the sump and it churned on its own in the bags

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Fwiw i just put the bags of purigen in the water flow of the sump and it churned on its own in the bags
    Jack,

Why didn't I think of this?

Thanks!

Kenny

Yes, the water flow has to be low. Purigen is not a whole lot denser than water and it will take off on you with too much flow.
    I have also noticed that when I restart my sump I get a little cloud of tan "stuff" that shoots into the tank. It is no big deal and doesn't cloud the tank but I wonder if it is dust from the beads banging around.

Sure you can throw bags into some flow, but I don't feel you get the same type of exposure and I don't want to deal with the number of bags to get the same quantity.
    Also bag of 100ml of purigen $10.
    500 ml of Purigen $22.
    Last edited by Neptune; 11-30-2016 at 05:06 PM.

https://youtu.be/I-Kzu0PBb4Y

I'm going to try one of those for a purigen reactor. I like the fact that its an HOB style with integrated dc pump. Should be able to adjust flow rate to not blow purigen out. I also think I'm going to cut some 30 ppi poret to put on top and as a fail safe will put a seachem "the bag" over the outlet tubing

that low setting in the video is WAY too much flow for Purigen. You will have to put a valve on it and cut it down even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    Yes, the water flow has to be low. Purigen is not a whole lot denser than water and it will take off on you with too much flow.
    I have also noticed that when I restart my sump I get a little cloud of tan "stuff" that shoots into the tank. It is no big deal and doesn't cloud the tank but I wonder if it is dust from the beads banging around.

Sure you can throw bags into some flow, but I don't feel you get the same type of exposure and I don't want to deal with the number of bags to get the same quantity.
    Also bag of 100ml of purigen $10.
    500 ml of Purigen $22.
    FWIW, it turned brown evenly. the little bags went brown fast, so i switched to DIY bags and bought a big container of purigen. again evenly turned brown. your right, you probably don't get the same type of exposure, but in flow worked good enough for me.

but i got tired of the recharge process...so i don't have any in there now.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    FWIW, it turned brown evenly. the little bags went brown fast, so i switched to DIY bags and bought a big container of purigen. again evenly turned brown. your right, you probably don't get the same type of exposure, but in flow worked good enough for me.

but i got tired of the recharge process...so i don't have any in there now.

Jack while yes it does work well sometimes Purigen can compact enough that they flow will take the path of least resistance and go around most of it in some canister filters or slow other canisters way down. I know that the OP stated they have a sump which negates most all compaction worries or slowing down the filter too much. In my beginning I used a aquaclear filter with no sponge and my own aftermarket bag tied to the filter basket. yes it did tumble some and that led me to the path I took with the lifegard fluidize filter. Knock on wood mine is a very old and I have never had any leak problems others have had with the recent manufactured lifegards.

Real Name
    Eric

It is clear that a Purigen reactor increases exposure, but from my understanding flow is only slowed in order to get a nice tumble as opposed to increasing efficacy through increased dwell time. That being the case, I would think throwing the same amount of Purigen in a bag and placing into a much higher flow would be more effective. If you have a large tank, how effective can a reactor that only processes 35 gallons per hour really be? Purigen reactors do look cool though.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    It is clear that a Purigen reactor increases exposure, but from my understanding flow is only slowed in order to get a nice tumble as opposed to increasing efficacy through increased dwell time. That being the case, I would think throwing the same amount of Purigen in a bag and placing into a much higher flow would be more effective. If you have a large tank, how effective can a reactor that only processes 35 gallons per hour really be? Purigen reactors do look cool though.
    slow tumble does increase the effectiveness through the dwell time. 35gph equates to 840 gallons in 24hrs. you would have to have a very large aquarium for this to be any sort of problem. For most of us here we are not on the scale of monster fish keepers who have 5000-10,000 gallon tanks for the GPH to be any sort of a problem.

By the way just because you are throwing say 1000gph through media does not mean that the media will filter that entire 1000 gallons 100% in most cases it don't work like that.

Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    slow tumble does increase the effectiveness through the dwell time. 35gph equates to 840 gallons in 24hrs. you would have to have a very large aquarium for this to be any sort of problem. For most of us here we are not on the scale of monster fish keepers who have 5000-10,000 gallon tanks for the GPH to be any sort of a problem.

By the way just because you are throwing say 1000gph through media does not mean that the media will filter that entire 1000 gallons 100% in most cases it don't work like that.
    I am not convinced. I have 100g bags of purigen in two lowly canister filters and my water is crystal clear in an hour after a waterchange. With a 125 gallon tank @ 35gph, it would take almost 4 hours just to flow the entire volume of the tank through once. If you are changing 50-80% a day I just don't see how the reactor can compete. I think following the KISS principle makes the most sense on this one, but different strokes for different folks!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Thanks for all your comments, I'm certainly getting a better understanding on this topic.

I currently have four bags of Purigen running in my FX6 and feel it's really helping my water quality. Just bought 4 litres of Purigen and some more bags. I plan on setting up the Reef Octopus MF-2000, putting some bags right in my sump (in direct water flow), and keeping my FX6 running as well.

Is this overkill? I guess it's apparent I love this stuff

Real Name
    Eric

Nothing more beautiful than discus swimming around in crystal clear water!

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Clawhammer View Post
    Nothing more beautiful than discus swimming around in crystal clear water!
    When I had my eight 2.5" Discus in a 55gal there was a huge difference in the water (and the Discus' behavior) once I removed the FX6 with Purigen in preparation to receive my 180gal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast